FileMaker releases Bento 4 with label printing, easier sharing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Bento, the database application for Mac OS X, was updated to version 4 on Wednesday, adding new features such as the ability to print labels, export libraries with data, add voice memos and share more easily.

Bento 4 for Mac is now available for Mac for $29 with a $20 instant upgrade rebate for owners of previous versions. The software can also be purchased from the Mac App Store at its regular price of $49.99, and a family pack of five licenses costs $99.

Bento 4 adds the ability to print labels, export libraries with data, automatically add geographical locations to records, and to lock down forms. FileMaker Inc., a software subsidiary of Apple, declared that Bento 4 is the next major step for the personal database software.

"People just love the way Bento helps them organize their lives -- especially their work tasks like managing contacts and tracking projects," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president of marketing and services for FileMaker, Inc. "We've enhanced the entire product line: Bento for Mac, Bento for iPad, and Bento for iPhone to provide you with a major productivity boost at your desk and when you?re on the go."

Along with the release of Bento 4, Bento 1.1 has also been issued for the iPhone and iPad. Each application costs $4.99, and has been updated with the ability to record voice memos and sync iCal tasks. The latest version also has improved multitasking, and support for the iPhone 4 retina display.

For the first time ever, Bento for iPhone and Bento for iPad will be

available in multiple languages including: Japanese, French, German,

Italian, Spanish, and Dutch.

Bento 4 for Mac adds the ability to create custom labels, or choose from more than 250 ready-to-use Avery and Dymo label formats for mailing labels, inventory tags, name badges, file folders and many other uses. Labels can be customized with information from your database and with images.

Sharing databases has also been made easier using Bento 4. Users can now export Bento libraries populated with data and share these with other users, and sending a complete library to another Bento user is as easy as emailing a file. Users can also share ideas by sending custom Bento templates directly to the Bento Template Exchange from within Bento 4. The Bento Template Exchange features over 800 free downloadable templates that bring to life the huge variety of uses for Bento.

Bento 4 is also said to be faster and easier to use. With faster launch times, the new version allows users to lock forms to prevent unwanted changes to a layout, easily switch from Table view to Form view, search by date ranges, and automatically create media fields.

Bento 4 will automatically capture locations where activities occur. With the addition of a new location field type, the software will automatically log a user's exact location using Wi-Fi, GPS, or cell tower triangulation, depending on which Mac or iOS device they may be using when entering or modifying a record. Automatic location fields can record the location of site inspections, log customer visits, track travel sites, or capture survey locations.

Bento 4 for Mac is available in English, French, Italian, German,

Spanish, Dutch and Japanese.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Good to see the labeling feature added. I'll probably give it a try now. I have used Macs since 1984 and the platform has always lagged on label making. Unless you want to use Office which I don't.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Well done AI for calling it a 'database application', not a database.

Personally, I'd like to see OSX gain a built-in database, that would allow many apps to share information in a secured way. This would also increase ownership of our data, since we'd only need a tool for reading the database, rather than being reliant on the favor and existence of good but small software companies such as CulturedCode and the Omni Group.

It would also allow small developers to provide features like spotlight, encryption, archiving, sync'ing, time machine etc at the click of a checkbox. Consider that CulturedCode are two years into coding mobile syncing for Things, which could have been provided as a switch-on feature in the SDK.

Steve should go have a chat with his friend Larry, who did a good job back in his day.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Our company will probably be upgrading to this today... we've been looking to replace the defunct Now Contact for quite sometime.

My only problem with it is proper database sharing. Works GREAT on the same network, but if I want to go home and work on the database, I'm forced to connect to a VPN and use ShareTool to broadcast Bonjour over it.

MobileMe syncing (like OmniFocus) would make much more sense.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Good to see the labeling feature added. I'll probably give it a try now. I have used Macs since 1984 and the platform has always lagged on label making. Unless you want to use Office which I don't.

I'm not happy with what I've found for labels, and this doesn't fit my need. I'd like something where I design one label and it's repeated for the entire sheet. I don't need address labels or name tags where each label is different. Avery has a small program that does work, but it's very tedious. I think Pages would do the job pretty well if it knew what labels were.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Why haven't they added export to HTML? Or at the very least, iWeb? Is it that difficult?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Why haven't they added export to HTML? Or at the very least, iWeb? Is it that difficult?

I'm curious - why would this be a good feature?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I'm curious - why would this be a good feature?

You could have a database of products laid out nicely, then export to HTML to create a web page, either with or without ecommerce links.

Or it might be a database of "places I've visited" that creates a web page.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Might be only my reading but it wasn't completely clear reading the article that the Instant Rebate and $29 is via a filemaker.com purchase. As I moved down the App Store path, I got no indication that it knew I had a previous version so I stopped and hit the filemaker online store where it clearly offers me the $29 price.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Might be only my reading but it wasn't completely clear reading the article that the Instant Rebate and $29 is via a filemaker.com purchase. As I moved down the App Store path, I got no indication that it knew I had a previous version so I stopped and hit the filemaker online store where it clearly offers me the $29 price.

Is it possible to buy an upgrade version for $29 via the MacAppStore?

If not: Will the MAS correctly recognize a 4.0 upgrade bought via filemaker.com for future incremental upgrades (4.0.1) which are usually free?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quick View Post

If not: Will the MAS correctly recognize a 4.0 upgrade bought via filemaker.com for future incremental upgrades (4.0.1) which are usually free?

I didn't complete the App Store transaction because it didn't look like it was aware that I had Bento installed or ask me for a code prior to my account being charged. Reckon it's a different package when downloading just the upgrade. As I recall, there was no upgrade discount moving from 2 to 3.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You could have a database of products laid out nicely, then export to HTML to create a web page, either with or without ecommerce links.

The ecommerce part sounds like a 'Pro' feature and is almost certainly supported by FileMaker Pro. Bento is a personal database and isn't designed to be used this way... As for generating nice html pages, that does surprise me a little bit considering tools like Delicious Library can do this.

I haven't played with Bento much, but I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to export your data into another tool that could generate the html.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quick View Post

I would think so... The App Store app does recognise that I have Aperture and the iWork application installed. None of them have been updated since the App Store went live so I don't know if updates will be delivered that way, but I would sure think so. The same should hold true for non-Apple apps.

...unless, of course, the App Store only took an inventory of my applications when it was first installed and now will not recognise subsequent application installs. I don't think this is the case however, because I installed Aperture on my new MacBook Pro and the App Store does recognise that it is installed.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

...unless, of course, the App Store only took an inventory of my applications when it was first installed and now will not recognise subsequent application installs. I don't think this is the case however, because I installed Aperture on my new MacBook Pro and the App Store does recognise that it is installed.

AFAIK apps which are not installed via the MAS are tagged as "installed" solely to prevent double purchases (as long as they have the same version #).

You cannot update these apps via the MAS however!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I've never used Bento, though I've been meaning to give it a test.

By 'label' printing, does this mean one can print envelopes as well?

Because I switched from printing labels years ago. Much cheaper to print directly on the envelope.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Exactly. As a record collector I want to be able to create a custom database and then be able export to the web. Record collectors like to show off what they've got lol It's nerdy but for someone who doesn't know or have the time to learn HTML, an app like this should be a given.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I don't know if I would even call it a database. Sure it has a similar interface which is extremely easy to use (because it's so rudimentary) but all you can do is basically fill out an excel spreadsheet with a neat interface. I know since Version 3 you can have a connected (1,n) sheet but that isn't really a database. I downloaded the trial version some months ago and was utterly disappointed.

Filemaker on the other hand is nicer, but kind of difficult to switch to when you are used to Access.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Downloaded Bento 3 trial a while ago but after playing around I couldn't see the point of it.

What can Bento do for me that I can't do in Numbers???
  • Reply 18 of 24
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Personally, I'd like to see OSX gain a built-in database, that would allow many apps to share information in a secured way. This would also increase ownership of our data, since we'd only need a tool for reading the database, rather than being reliant on the favor and existence of good but small software companies such as CulturedCode and the Omni Group.

Anyone could do this. Apple doesn't have to provide it. Apple also provides Core Data libraries for developers.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Downloaded Bento 3 trial a while ago but after playing around I couldn't see the point of it.

What can Bento do for me that I can't do in Numbers???

Numbers is a spreadsheet. It's for working with rows and columns of numbers. It has poor support for querying, printing, layout, etc. of data. It's simply not designed for this task.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Anyone could do this. Apple doesn't have to provide it. Apple also provides Core Data libraries for developers.

It freaks me out when apps load stuff like Openbase or Growl on my system (usually without telling me.)

It's far better for Apple to code the services and provide hooks to developers. I don't know how full-featured Core Data is for hard-core database use, but there must be a reason why no serious sales management apps (like ACT on the PC) exist on the Mac platform.