In-depth Review: Apple's iPad 2 running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 221
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You shouldn't care about the post PC era anyway because you are not about to give up your Mac any time soon and probably have all kinds of apps, mobileMe and a dozen other ways to move data around the internet from device to device. Bottom line is... you just want to bitch.

You're full of it. My Aunt does not have a PC and cannot used computers so I tried to recommend an iPad to her, but had to stop mid recommendation as she wouldn't be able to set it up. There are zero Apple stores in our country and I don't want her iPad to be tied to my computer. It's a con because it's a con, and calling me out saying: "you just want to bitch" is completely crap.
  • Reply 42 of 221
    Sorry Archos, thought my points were obvious.

Also note, I'm an Apple product fan (more or less). i have an iPad 1, 2 iPhones, 4 Mac laptops, 2 Mac Mini's, and my original Mac 128. That doens't mean I'm going to become a blind fanboi and pretend everything they do is great or putting my interests ahead of their media games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Flash does not exist for tablets. There's a dysfunctional beta that only works to play 480p YouTube videos fairly well on brand new hardware. Saying iPad "doesn't have Flash" is like saying it doesn't support perpetual motion generators or can't be used by unicorn and fairies.

Flash 10.1 has existed for mobile for a while, 10.2 is out too. Are you saying that Apple wanted it on there, but Adobe is holding it up? Or are you willing to concede that your point was a poor one (just a distraction)?

Quote:

Not having an SD Card slot isn't really a flaw, it's the lack of a gaping opening for dirt. How often are you going to be uploading SD Card pics to your iPad?

SD card don't have to have a spot for dirt (see MacBookPro), and it certainly isn't worse than the dock port Apple has. So your point is weak. I don't need SD, but others like it. I would like USB or video without a dongle though.

Quote:

Lack of a keyboard option? It's called Bluetooth, there are lots of options.

My point about keyboards is with the iPad 1, Apple gave us a lame one (the wobble-top). I would have liked some options, and in a few months, 3rd parties will provide it. But many companies try to guarantee that there are options like this on release. (The current ones with integrated cases don't exactly fit the new form factor well).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Let's hear your ideas because the first one is just plain stupid and doesn't guarantee anything other than absolute mayhem. "Come on down and get your voucher!" 6,000 people show up for the voucher, of which 4,103 don't really want the iPad... but, just in case...

4) Foxconn is just one of the manufacturers (that Apple picked). Apple is the distributor. They could have far better distribution mechanisms if they wanted. I already gave a few ideas for better distribution:

a) they could just tell the lines that are waiting how many machines they have for sale that day and what variants. (they do this right before they open the door -- after people have waited all night).

b) they could offer security so that they could let the waiters in the mall, instead of outside.

c) they could open the store when they get the delivery and not wait until the exact preset time

d) they could reinstate the lame inventory system they had for the iPhone 3G that showed which stores had inventory

e) they could improve it so it told number of units (they have that in their inventory systems)

f) the vouchers would work fine: you just take their ID information when you give them so they can't sell them

g) since you know what's coming to the store the next day (if the rumors that they pre-stock them is wrong), you could just presell them one day earlier. Just book the sale that day, and let them pick it up the next day. Thus people don't have to wait in line all night.

I could go on, and on.

Quote:

Right, Apple is failing to make iPads available because of a joke on the public. How moronic.

The facts are, we know Apple could put their customers first. We know they aren't making it convenient. That kinda leaves one to wonder if they just aren't that smart, or if they are doing this on purpose. I suspect the latter -- they like the press. But you're free to disagree. But you don't look very wise (or make Apple look very smart) when you pretend that there's no possibility that you could be wrong.

Have you noticed that I remained polite. But those that don't want to hear anything but Apple is perfect, are somewhat rude. So far, I have to be stupid or a moron because I think there's a better system to distributing iPads than making people camp out all night and wait until 9:00, when Apple knows well in advance exactly what inventory they have (or are going to have) at that store? Really?
  • Reply 43 of 221
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I can understand this, but the blame lies with Adobe - they haven't even released one for Android yet, and their track record of insecure, buggy software means Apple won't allow it on the iPad. I agree with this decision. I'd rather go without than have such a poor implementation.

Yet you can go to the Android marketplace and download flash for supported Android devices now, so what exactly were you trying to say?
  • Reply 44 of 221
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Airprint Activator is free. Formally AirPrintHacktivator.

Let's see what happens in Lion.
  • Reply 45 of 221
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

How is the iPad post-PC if I have to use a PC to initialize it, update the OS, and back it up?

It's not, unless they frame it as the Post PC world means you have a PC as a hub and your mass consumption devices working together freeing you up to be mobile or localized, as you wish.
  • Reply 46 of 221
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I don't want her iPad to be tied to my computer.

Tied to your computer? Once it is activated there is nothing else to do. How is it different than plugging it in to any random computer to upgrade the OS. You never have to sync. Just be a nice boy and upgrade it for her once and awhile.
  • Reply 47 of 221
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Airprint Activator is free. Formally AirPrintHacktivator.

Ahh! Free is my favourite price. Printopia has some nice features like being able to print to DropBox but this illustrates my point nicely. If other people can implement this feature why can't Apple? The patent argument doesn't hold up for me as there are obviously non-infringing ways to accomplish this.
  • Reply 48 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

Ahh! Free is my favourite price. Printopia has some nice features like being able to print to DropBox but this illustrates my point nicely. If other people can implement this feature why can't Apple? The patent argument doesn't hold up for me as there are obviously non-infringing ways to accomplish this.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I used Air Print fix from ChuckG when the developer OS had that feature but they stripped it out on final release. If you Google it I believe it is still out there. I thought that possibly Apple made a deal with HP, if they supported it then Apple would give them an exclusive for a given period of time sort of like the Intel, Apple deal with LightPeak.
  • Reply 49 of 221
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue Denim View Post

I think there's a better system to distributing iPads than making people camp out all night and wait until 9:00, when Apple knows well in advance exactly what inventory they have (or are going to have) at that store? Really?

Apple doesn't make people camp outside their stores, the people choose to camp all night.

Are you suggesting Apple drives up its costs by opening all Apple stores 24 hours a day?
  • Reply 50 of 221
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

How is the iPad post-PC if I have to use a PC to initialize it, update the OS, and back it up?

This is, of course, nonsense. For the way many people use it, you don't need a PC. And almost all of the ones who need more advanced services already have a PC.

Quote:

Doesn't matter if you agree or not. But even though I want one (and will probably get one), some cons include:

4) lack of Flash (if you don't like it, turn it off. Some of us want it).

My Corvette doesn't have a boat anchor, either. I see that as an advantage.

it's not Apple's fault that Adobe has still not released a decent version of Flash that will run on iOS.

Quote:

5) lack of integrated USB/Video or SD card (far more convenient way to transfer information without dragging around dongles)

A complaint that affects a tiny percentage of people. But if it bothers you, don't buy one. Apple is not obligated to make something that satisfies everyone. They made a device which they feel provides the best balance of features/performance/ price. Given the rate at which they're selling, Apple seems to have gotten it right.

Quote:

6) lack of keyboard option (so far),

Nonsense. It has a keyboard built in.

If you don't like that one, there are external keyboards, anyway.

Quote:

7) and so far, Apple seems to artificially be limiting availability. (No one seriously believes Apple couldn't offer better availability if they wanted, do they?)

It's amazing how many bizarre conspiracy theories people manage to come up with. We heard the same thing with iPhone 1, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, and iPad 1, too. What plausible reason would there be for Apple to limit availability? They're selling every one they can make - they'd be foolish to pass up sales. They certainly don't need any more hype.

It is not easy to set up production of a product that sells millions of units per month. Apple apparently switched over to the new design as soon as all the testing was done and the configuration finalized. Would you rather have them switch product before it's ready?

Quote:

Based on reviews, I'd also question Safari's performance (compared to Android's) - though I haven't found that to be a big limiter for myself.

Funny how gullible people always seem to latch on to false information - as long as it's negative.

The test you're referring to didn't measure Safari's performance. Instead, it measured the performance of the embedded browser - which is about 60% slower. Since everyone I know uses Safari itself for browsing, that's a MAJOR flaw in the 'study'.
  • Reply 51 of 221
    Quote:

I have to be stupid or a moron because I think there's a better system to distributing iPads than making people camp out all night and wait until 9:00, when Apple knows well in advance exactly what inventory they have (or are going to have) at that store? Really?

You would be a moron if you camped out on the sidewalk just to be the first to get an iPad.

Apple has been doing this for a while so they may have learned a thing or two. You offered some suggestions but I would be surprised if you actually had any real experience in launching a new consumer electronic device on an international scale. Just go online and order one, Apple will get it to you in due course. What's the hurry?
  • Reply 52 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Apple doesn't make people camp outside their stores, the people choose to camp all night. Are you suggesting Apple drives up its costs by opening all Apple stores 24 hours a day?

Really? That's what you got from me offered a dozen different ways they could better distribute iPads? (none of which included 24 hours a day -- which wouldn't help at all if they're out of inventory anyways).

My suggestions were ways they could behave like a big-boy company and try to communicate with their customers where the inventor was hiding (which they know), instead of making the customer play the shell game or 3 card monty.
  • Reply 53 of 221
    Quote:

4) Foxconn is just one of the manufacturers (that Apple picked). Apple is the distributor. They could have far better distribution mechanisms if they wanted. I already gave a few ideas for better distribution:

a) they could just tell the lines that are waiting how many machines they have for sale that day and what variants. (they do this right before they open the door -- after people have waited all night).

b) they could offer security so that they could let the waiters in the mall, instead of outside.

c) they could open the store when they get the delivery and not wait until the exact preset time

d) they could reinstate the lame inventory system they had for the iPhone 3G that showed which stores had inventory

e) they could improve it so it told number of units (they have that in their inventory systems)

f) the vouchers would work fine: you just take their ID information when you give them so they can't sell them

g) since you know what's coming to the store the next day (if the rumors that they pre-stock them is wrong), you could just presell them one day earlier. Just book the sale that day, and let them pick it up the next day. Thus people don't have to wait in line all night.

I could go on, and on.

In a perfect world...

I think you give the buying public way too much credit. You may think you have better ideas but when put to the test my guess is that any of these ideas wouldn't improve the system that much.
  • Reply 54 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You would be a moron if you camped out on the sidewalk just to be the first to get an iPad.

Apple has been doing this for a while so they may have learned a thing or two. You offered some suggestions but I would be surprised if you actually had any real experience in launching a new consumer electronic device on an international scale. Just go online and order one, Apple will get it to you in due course. What's the hurry?

Exactly... just order it online. People chose to stand in line... Apple doesn't force them to go there. That's the best distribution system for me and it's worked like a charm every time.
  • Reply 55 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

My Corvette doesn't have a boat anchor, either. I see that as an advantage. it's not Apple's fault that Adobe has still not released a decent version of Flash that will run on iOS.

Do you think that's an intelligent post, or just trolling? (I think the latter, so will ignore).

Quote:

A complaint that affects a tiny percentage of people. But if it bothers you, don't buy one. Apple is not obligated to make something that satisfies everyone. They made a device which they feel provides the best balance of features/performance/ price. Given the rate at which they're selling, Apple seems to have gotten it right.

Two falacious arguments in a single paragraph, I'm impressed. (But probably not in the way you want to impress people).

1) The point was a reviewer is supposed to make an objective list of limitations. (Not just ones for him, but ones that other people might find important). I think omitting one of the higher complaints out there would be worth a mention (if you aren't a rabid fanboi). It doesn't matter if YOU want it, it matters if others do. And many do. Just chatting in the line I waited at this morning, I had people ask about Flash. (It was on their minds).

2) Really dumb argument to claim because it's selling, it is good. By your illogic Milli Vanilli were better musicians than Bach or U2 because one of their albums outsold the other. The point in being a good analysts isn't looking at how well something is selling, but how far below peak it is selling because of omissions or flaws. Do you really think there's nothing that Apple could do, no tradeoff they could make different, that would make the product better? If you say "none", then you prove your bias (you think Apple is just perfect). If you say, "probably so", then you prove my point, and that yours was lame.

Quote:

Nonsense. It has a keyboard built in. If you don't like that one, there are external keyboards, anyway.

:rollseyesback: My point was I would have liked a better optional keyboard with tactile feel. Apple could have worked with an IHV or internally to improve that situation. It's not a major flaw or anything... but when doing a review, it's a reviewers job to try to think of ways that they could have made it more appealing to more people. (Or where omissions might be). By ignoring what a lot of customers want, you only prove you wouldn't make a very good reviewer.

Quote:

It's amazing how many bizarre conspiracy theories people manage to come up with. We heard the same thing with iPhone 1, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, and iPad 1, too. What plausible reason would there be for Apple to limit availability? They're selling every one they can make - they'd be foolish to pass up sales. They certainly don't need any more hype.

Wow. Just wow. I only said it 3 or 4 times so far, and you couldn't get it from all of those?

Apple gets free press for having long lines. They seem to value the press more than their customers convenience, or as you said, they would have tried to learn from the iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4 and iPad -- and made things better. Instead they REMOVED systems (like their inventory website) to make the lines longer. Are they stupid? Or just might there be a reason they're making it less convenient for their customers?

Quote:

The test you're referring to didn't measure Safari's performance. Instead, it measured the performance of the embedded browser - which is about 60% slower. Since everyone I know uses Safari itself for browsing, that's a MAJOR flaw in the 'study'.

Not really. Most people I know use Apps. It's a valid point that Apple cripples their embedded browser when the competitor does not -- especially when Apple encourages people to create Apps using that embedded browser.

But I go appreciate the clarification that it's only significantly slower on Apps that use HTML and not in Safari itself. Though I've still heard and seen otherwise. But like I said in my initial point -- that speed difference wasn't significant enough to matter to me either way. But a reviewer would be remiss to not point it out.
  • Reply 56 of 221
    I'm taking up a collection to buy Sue Denim a Xoom tablet and a free membership to a fanDroid site. Any takers?
  • Reply 57 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

I'm taking up a collection to buy Sue Denim a Xoom tablet and a free membership to a fanDroid site. Any takers?

Actually I'm a bit confused by Sue. The last time she was posting a couple months ago the writing style was completely different and the points she made were not so over the top trolly and actually somewhat logical. Maybe this is a shared user account over at the Adobe Propaganda Department and it is a different Sue on this shift. If not, she seriously needs to put down the crack pipe.
  • Reply 58 of 221
    Quote:

My point was I would have liked a better optional keyboard with tactile feel. Apple could have worked with an IHV or internally to improve that situation. It's not a major flaw or anything... but when doing a review, it's a reviewers job to try to think of ways that they could have made it more appealing to more people. (Or where omissions might be). By ignoring what a lot of customers want, you only prove you wouldn't make a very good reviewer.

Apple gets free press for having long lines. They seem to value the press more than their customers convenience, or as you said, they would have tried to learn from the iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4 and iPad -- and made things better. Instead they REMOVED systems (like their inventory website) to make the lines longer. Are they stupid? Or just might there be a reason they're making it less convenient for their customers?

Yes... a lot of customers want a better keyboard... Apple could sell an extra 1000 iPads a month if they followed Sue's suggestion.

Yes... Apple does get free press for having long lines. Oddly enough... when I went to get my iPad 1 there weren't any lines at all. Of course I had to wait a month to buy it... it was excruciating...
  • Reply 59 of 221
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Point taken.

But my point was things like: Apple could have a lousy inventory notifier at least as lame as they had back in the iPhone3G days (where you could see what stores had inventory). And if they wanted, a much better system. They could let people know in line how many they have in stock, so lots of people could go home. They have people in-store at 7, but they won't open the doors or sell them until 9. And there are rumors that they are holding some back each day for the next day. Etc., etc. They're trying to make an artificial supply constraint because it plays the press. But it is also a way to treat your customers like garbage. This annoys me.

Look. If they were doing everything they could to help their customers and couldn't keep up with demand -- they get a pass. But does anyone believe that this is the best they can do?

Sue, seriously, your rants are blithering nonsense. Apple has no desire to hold inventory back. It is rumored that what they are doing is not releasing new shipments until the next day to give everyone an EQUAL chance at opening rather than selling in a random manner, a quite reasonable approach. Further, it has always taken them a week or two to get the notifier system up and running online once shipments have become more regular and the pipeline more predictable. Also a very reasonable approach.

Unless they limit how many each person can buy, and then predict what each person in line will buy (IF the particular model they want, out of 18 different iterations, is even in stock), they have absolutely no way of knowing how many people will be able to purchase one so your point is ridiculous.

It is offensive that you would claim that they are treating customers "like garbage". Get a life!
  • Reply 60 of 221
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

I'm in! But do you really think she's bright enough to be able to use it?