T-Mobile USA customers shouldn't expect Apple's iPhone for at least 1 year

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
U.S. customers of T-Mobile likely will not have access to Apple's iPhone for at least one year, assuming a proposed acquisition from AT&T is granted federal approval.

Following the announcement on Sunday that AT&T plans to buy T-Mobile to create the largest wireless provider in the U.S., a list of frequently asked questions were posted on the official T-Mobile website. In that list, one question is specifically devoted to the iPhone, which is currently only available to AT&T and Verizon customers.

"T-Mobile USA remains an independent company," the FAQ reads. "The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G."

T-Mobile cannot yet offer the iPhone because its wireless network is not compatible with the 3G radio found in the GSM version of Apple's best-selling smartphone. And that won't change until AT&T's proposed acquisition of T-Mobile is approved by federal regulators -- a milestone that is by no means guaranteed.

The merging of customer bases from AT&T and T-Mobile would create a total of about 130 million users, making AT&T the largest carrier in the U.S. AT&T has touted that the acquisition of T-Mobile will help to speed up its own existing nationwide network.

Though they operate on different radio frequencies, the networks of AT&T and T-Mobile have a common technology base with 3G UMTS. That will make it easier for AT&T to merge the two networks and ensure that handsets from both companies will be compatible on the same network.

T-Mobile's FAQ also notes that the acquisition will offer "significant benefits" for customers, improving network quality and boosting speeds.

"The merger will ensure the deployment of a robust 4G LTE network to 95% of the U.S. population, something neither company would achieve on its own," it reads. "Also, because of our compatible networks and spectrum, the customers of T-Mobile USA and AT&T will experience improved voice and data service almost immediately after the networks are integrated."

Customers were also advised that they should not wait to sign up with T-Mobile or upgrade their handset, as the company remains independent until the deal is approved. The company will also honor all contracted plans that are entered into before the change of ownership.

AT&T announced on Sunday its plans to acquire T-Mobile for $39 billion. The cash and stock deal, if approved, would give Deutsche Telekom, the owner of T-Mobile USA, an 8 percent stake in AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Or... they could expect it now. Or at any time over the last three and a half years.

Yes, "legitimately". It works now. You don't even need a data plan. It's the only respite in an idiotic world.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

T-Mobile cannot yet offer the iPhone because its wireless network is not compatible with the 3G radio found in the GSM version of Apple's best-selling smartphone. And that won't change until AT&T's proposed acquisition of T-Mobile is approved by federal regulators -- a milestone that is by no means guaranteed.

Or Apple could include the AWS band in a future iPhone. Why is this option being completely ignored without an explanation as to why it?s not possible?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    All I am going to say is expect the unexpected. I have a feeling this will happen quickly. Some back channel persuation will be done and instead of a year the approval will come in months and "tmobile" will have iphone 5. Thats my feeling.

Quote:

U.S. customers of T-Mobile likely will not have access to Apple's iPhone for at least one year, assuming a proposed acquisition from AT&T is granted federal approval.

Following the announcement on Sunday that AT&T plans to buy T-Mobile to create the largest wireless provider in the U.S., a list of frequently asked questions were posted on the official T-Mobile website. In that list, one question is specifically devoted to the iPhone, which is currently only available to AT&T and Verizon customers.

"T-Mobile USA remains an independent company," the FAQ reads. "The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G."

The merging of customer bases from AT&T and T-Mobile would create a total of about 130 million users, making AT&T the largest carrier in the U.S. AT&T has touted that the acquisition of T-Mobile will help to speed up its own existing nationwide network.

Though they operate on different radio frequencies, the networks of AT&T and T-Mobile have a common technology base with 3G UMTS. That will make it easier for AT&T to merge the two networks and ensure that handsets from both companies will be compatible on the same network.

T-Mobile's FAQ also notes that the acquisition will offer "significant benefits" for customers, improving network quality and boosting speeds.

"The merger will ensure the deployment of a robust 4G LTE network to 95% of the U.S. population, something neither company would achieve on its own," it reads. "Also, because of our compatible networks and spectrum, the customers of T-Mobile USA and AT&T will experience improved voice and data service almost immediately after the networks are integrated."

Customers were also advised that they should not wait to sign up with T-Mobile or upgrade their handset, as the company remains independent until the deal is approved. The company will also honor all contracted plans that are entered into before the change of ownership.

AT&T announced on Sunday its plans to acquire T-Mobile for $39 billion. The cash and stock deal, if approved, would give Deutsche Telekom, the owner of T-Mobile USA, an 8 percent stake in AT&T.

• Reply 4 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

All I am going to say is expect the unexpected. I have a feeling this will happen quickly. Some back channel persuation will be done and instead of a year the approval will come in months and "tmobile" will have iphone 5. Thats my feeling.

*blink*

Why? What's the point? They're one company in the end. Whether the iPhone supports 1700MHz is irrelevant, as all towers would be changed to do all the same frequencies, anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    mjj122mjj122 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or Apple could include the AWS band in a future iPhone. Why is this option being completely ignored without an explanation as to why it?s not possible?

It is certainly possible. Nokia has phones on the market (the N8 and several others) with five band 3G -all the bands in the iPhone 4 plus T-Mobile's AWS band. If Nokia can do it, I am sure so can Apple.

My hunch is that until now AT&T was actively opposed to Apple releasing an iPhone supporting this band, as once this happened people would have been able to take unlocked iPhones (either unauthorised unlocks, or legitimate ones imported from abroad) and use them with 3G on T-Mobile's network. On the other hand, they now probably want T-Mobile customers to get the iPhone, as they will then become AT&T customers when this deal goes through. I would think Apple would like to support it if they can, as it would allow them to provide iPhones for additional carriers in two or three other countries as well as the US. In addition, AT&T is likely to want to get phones supporting all bands into its customers' hands as soon as possible, as they will work better once once the networks are merged.

However, this press release seems to suggest that there will not be a compatible iPhone this year. It could just be that the author of the press release doesn't know what is going on with various parts of AT&T, Apple, and T-Mobile. Given Apple's liking for secrecy, it is very possible.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    iPhone 6 at the earliest.....
  • Reply 7 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I glad I stopped pulling my hair out and read this timely article.

I hope sprint joins verizon

• Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjj122 View Post

It is certainly possible. Nokia has phones on the market (the N8 and several others) with five band 3G -all the bands in the iPhone 4 plus T-Mobile's AWS band. If Nokia can do it, I am sure so can Apple.

My hunch is that until now AT&T was actively opposed to Apple releasing an iPhone supporting this band, as once this happened people would have been able to take unlocked iPhones (either unauthorised unlocks, or legitimate ones imported from abroad) and use them with 3G on T-Mobile's network. On the other hand, they now probably want T-Mobile customers to get the iPhone, as they will then become AT&T customers when this deal goes through. I would think Apple would like to support it if they can, as it would allow them to provide iPhones for additional carriers in two or three other countries as well as the US. In addition, AT&T is likely to want to get phones supporting all bands into its customers' hands as soon as possible, as they will work better once once the networks are merged.

However, this press release seems to suggest that there will not be a compatible iPhone this year. It could just be that the author of the press release doesn't know what is going on with various parts of AT&T, Apple, and T-Mobile. Given Apple's liking for secrecy, it is very possible.

The iPhone 4 was the 2nd pentaband phone on the market, though only 4 of the 5 bands were ever in use this past year.
    The 5th band was for NTT do co mo, Japan?s largest carrier. Apple?s currently only with Softbank, their 3rd largest carrier. Maybe this was to leverage a position against Softbank or win favour with NTT do co mo. Or maybe they thought they would ink a deal with them that year but it fell through, or simply a placeholder band for some odd component reason and their contract forbade them from using T-Mobile USA?s 1700MHz spectrum.

Since it looks like AT&T will keep T-Mo as a ?value carrier? I?d think that AT&T still wouldn?t want the AWS band in the iPhone 5. They might not be able to prevent Apple from including that band per their contract* so they might have to pay Apple to not include that band. That would be funny if true.

* The contract or part of the contract that prohibits Apple from offering the iPhone to other carriers or at least to CDMA-based carriers is over, but that doesn?t mean the entire contract or all contracts are completed.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

One of the reasons often given against a GSM/CDMA iPhone is the need to include antennas tuned to the addtional fequencies and there simply not being enough room (especially given Apple's drive to make things smaller and thinner). The probably becomes even worse if there is a GSM/CDMA phone, which eventually there may need to be to support Verizon's transition to LTE.

Combined with my suspicion that ATT might want to phase out the Tmobile 3G frequencies to use the more standard frequencies, any iPhone support for that band would be even more short-lived than CDMA support (and we all know how strongly many people here held that Apple would be foolish to support CDMA).
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

That would be interesting. But what would happen to wi-max? Surely Verizon would have no interest in swallowing that pill. It's completely at odds with their LTE plans. Sprint's wi-max network likely isn't extensive enough to stand on it's own, but if it is perhaps it could be spun off as an independent data-only network. Then have the voice/3G Sprint customers merge with Verizon.

The ATT/Tmobile merger makes more sense because the networks are mostly compatible and ATT needed to shore up it's network. From the articles I've read, part of the problem ATT had was they didn't have access to the wireless bandwidth to expand. So instead they simply bought a company that owned part of the spectrum. If Verizon already has the spectrum they need to support their plans, that would be one less reason to consider buying Sprint.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

That would be interesting. But what would happen to wi-max? Surely Verizon would have no interest in swallowing that pill. It's completely at odds with their LTE plans. Sprint's wi-max network likely isn't extensive enough to stand on it's own, but if it is perhaps it could be spun off as an independent data-only network. Then have the voice/3G Sprint customers merge with Verizon.

The ATT/Tmobile merger makes more sense because the networks are mostly compatible and ATT needed to shore up it's network. From the articles I've read, part of the problem ATT had was they didn't have access to the wireless bandwidth to expand. So instead they simply bought a company that owned part of the spectrum. If Verizon already has the spectrum they need to support their plans, that would be one less reason to consider buying Sprint.

I seem to recall Clearwire saying that WiMAX could be reconfigured to run as LTE much cheaper than putting up new LTE. I think they were also preparing to test LTE, thus moving away from WiMAX altogether.

Overall, I think getting Sprints customers and becoming the largest US carrier again would be more than enough reason. Besides, even if they have to decommission all the WiMAX in use nearly everyone is still using devices that are on the same ?2G? and 3G? network type and frequencies, which isn?t something AT&T can say about acquiring T-Mobile USA.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

..... assuming a proposed acquisition from AT&T is granted federal approval.

It will be. ATT will make some 'concessions' by promising to roll out 4G quickly and to provide extra resources for services to 'rural' areas, and everyone go home happy.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

Agreed! I'm going to take the optimistic route and hope that it will be a good thing long term. Since I definitely want the iPhone the sooner the better-this will make my new "acquisition" that much smoother!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 was the 2nd pentaband phone on the market, though only 4 of the 5 bands were ever in use this past year.
    The 5th band was for NTT do co mo, Japan?s largest carrier. Apple?s currently only with Softbank, their 3rd largest carrier. Maybe this was to leverage a position against Softbank or win favour with NTT do co mo. Or maybe they thought they would ink a deal with them that year but it fell through, or simply a placeholder band for some odd component reason and their contract forbade them from using T-Mobile USA?s 1700MHz spectrum.

Well, yes and no. UMTS band VI (usually referred to as "800MHz" in Japan) is just a subset of band V (usually referred to as "850MHz" in North America). Note that the channel numbers are the same and the spacing between the uplink and the downlink is the same, so that hardware that can support one can pretty much automatically support the other. (There are sometimes software issues between Japan and the rest of the world though). They are listed separately in the UMTS spec so they are sometimes described as different bands, but they aren't different in any meaningful sense and I was counting them as a single band. This is consistent with the way Apple describes it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I think Apple provided support for Band VI because they already more or less supported it due to supporting Band V.

In any event, the Nokia N8 (and a couple of other recent Nokia phones) support all bands that the iPhone 4 supports plus one more - the AWS band used by T-Mobile, and a couple of other networks in Canada and elswhere in the Americas.

Quote:

Since it looks like AT&T will keep T-Mo as a ?value carrier? I?d think that AT&T still wouldn?t want the AWS band in the iPhone 5. They might not be able to prevent Apple from including that band per their contract* so they might have to pay Apple to not include that band. That would be funny if true.

When the merger goes through and the networks are merged, the new AT&T is going to own spectrum and 3G networks operating on 850MHz, 1900MHz and AWS. Regardless of whether they keep T-Mobile as a value brand or not, they are going to want to merge the networks to save money. There may be multiple brands, but there will only be one network. However, this network will likely use spectrum on all three bands, because AT&T will want to provide as much capacity as possible in places like New York and San Francisco and more spectrum equals more capacity. Once this is the case, AT&T is going to want as large a portion of the handsets on its network as possible to support all three bands, as that way will lead to better service for customers and a larger ability to manage traffic on the part of AT&T. This makes me think that AT&T would like AWS support on the iPhone 5 even if there is no use for it yet, because many of those handsets will still be on the network in a year's time, and if they are it will allow AT&T to provide better service then.

But we will see.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Believe me... It won't be a year... When my slave contract expires - I'm gone!!
  • Reply 16 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Yes, so we the consumers have less choices and we get screwed more. That sounds great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

• Reply 17 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Everyone except T-Mobile customers who hate AT&T and Verizon and enjoyed T-Mobiles competitive prices.

Most consumers are sheep, so I am sure they will be thrilled with the continue increasing prices and fewer choices.

The government is a joke though and they aren't concerned with anti-competition, so the deal will go through.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It will be. ATT will make some 'concessions' by promising to roll out 4G quickly and to provide extra resources for services to 'rural' areas, and everyone go home happy.

• Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

I seem to recall Clearwire saying that WiMAX could be reconfigured to run as LTE much cheaper than putting up new LTE. I think they were also preparing to test LTE, thus moving away from WiMAX altogether.

Overall, I think getting Sprints customers and becoming the largest US carrier again would be more than enough reason. Besides, even if they have to decommission all the WiMAX in use nearly everyone is still using devices that are on the same ?2G? and 3G? network type and frequencies, which isn?t something AT&T can say about acquiring T-Mobile USA.

Or Google buys Sprint:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1586...ce_sprint.html
  • Reply 19 of 48
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    This is terrible reporting! T-Mobile getting an iPhone has NOTHING to do with AT&T's acquisition. If anything, T-Mobile users will become AT&T users, and then they will be transitioned into a company that offers the iPhone. But T-Mobile as a company is not getting an iPhone for being bought by AT&T. T-Mobile will get the iPhone IF and WHEN Apple supports the 1700 MHz spectrum. But if this deal goes through, T-Mobile might not be a carrier anymore by the time that happens. Sure, AT&T will use 1700 MHz, and Apple might support it, but it will still be with AT&T's lousy data caps and high prices.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Agreed! I'm going to take the optimistic route and hope that it will be a good thing long term. Since I definitely want the iPhone the sooner the better-this will make my new "acquisition" that much smoother!

Would make a "One more thing..." Steve Jobs moment at the Keynote of the intro of iPhone 5... maybe?!