RIM's iPad-competing BlackBerry PlayBook will launch for $499 on April 19

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

That's like saying that the R&D department at Apple should be ashamed for taking 3-4 years to build the iphone. RIM was never in the PC industry, was never in the tablet industry. And that all the other tablet manufacturers should be ashamed that they can't do PC style multitasking with both cores, when RIM can do it with a single core.

Yeah.. PC style multitasking tablet with 4 hours battery life is awesome
  • Reply 102 of 121
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That wasn't during CES and look how unresponsive and slow it was getting during multitasking.

It was also using a build that was a full month before the CES.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    Quote:

Yeah.. PC style multitasking tablet with 4 hours battery life is awesome

Well, on numerous occasions RIM has been saying that they are targetting 8 hours of battery life. And they did put in a slightly larger battery since their original announcement.
  • Reply 104 of 121
    Quote:

Well, on numerous occasions RIM has been saying that they are targetting 8 hours of battery life. And they did put in a slightly larger battery since their original announcement.

Before the tablet hits the market the can target whatever they want. Once this thing hits the market we will know the real battery life. However, seeing how it is not mentioned tells me that they didn't achieve their target.
  • Reply 105 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's a DH?

In this context I think it is either "dead head" or "die hard." Elsewhere it can refer to "dear|darn|deaf husband|hubby". The possibilities are endless when you google it.

-Tod

Edit: After reading this, I think "mstone" hits Dick on the Head:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No offense intended, Dick.

And no offense intended from this quarter, either.
  • Reply 106 of 121
    Quote:

Before the tablet hits the market the can target whatever they want. Once this thing hits the market we will know the real battery life. However, seeing how it is not mentioned tells me that they didn't achieve their target.

Well, people aren't going to use PC style multitasking much in real life usage either. You ain't going to play a game in the background --- because your game character would die.

But what you might do occasionally is do something else while youtube forces you to watch a 30 second advertisement.

Seeing that RIM increased the battery size by only 100 mah tells me that they weren't off their target by much either.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Forget Apple's advantage of tight integration of Software and Hardware - Apple's innovation of having dynamic CPU speed on the A5 is going to be tough to replicate quickly for everyone else. And without dynamic CPU speed, there is no way even Apple can boast of the 10-hour battery life - despite the vastly improved CPU specs. Remember, this is an innovation that is not even present in Intel's desktop line, despite the massive R&D effort that goes into this.

I wonder if it is actually possible for Apple to patent this particular technology of the A5. If Apple succeeds in patenting this, then they will be even stronger than they are now! This is the sort of technology that will allow Apple to build quad-core or even faster chips, but still be very energy efficient. I can't wait to see what impact the A5 will have on the Apple TV!

My guess is that if there is some way to run the iPad at a constant 1GHz CPU speed, the battery life would be down to below 5 hours. I am calculating this based on the fact that the old iPad has exact same software, and almost the same capacity battery, and a much slower CPU.

Battery life is going to be the Achilles heel of the Playbook. And this issue is going to be compounded by the fact that the Playbook will tether to the Blackberry - so you could potentially be out of battery on not just your Playbook, but also on your Blackberry. Now, wouldn't that be fun!

What?

If you're talking about cpu throttling, every modern cpu that I can think of off the top of my head has this feature.

If you're talking about a feature other than cpu throttling, then I have not heard about it; elaborate please.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    Quote:

There are limitations to the Flash UI --- the Playbook does NOT have 3D UI like the Xoom (i.e. Xoom's music app with the CD cover and Xoom's youtube app with the concave wall of videos).

Within the confines of these limitations, there is no reason why you can't build a very small and light UI with flash.

Quote:

The Playbook was running on a single core at CES.

Said succinctly as possible -- BFD!

Here's a video of 3D graphics done on earlier iPhones -- Much slower single-core CPU, much slower single-core GPU, less RAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjpLnGKx6I

BTW, I am not a good programmer. This does not use a Apple-supplied CoverFlow API -- that is private.

The last time I worked o this app was 12/10/09.

Tell us again why you say we need all this horsepower in the Xoom and PlayBook just to do a simple 3D Graphics UI.

Obviously, you feel the PlayBook and Android OSes are superior to iOS -- explain, please, why they require twice as powerful hardware to deliver inferior results.

• Reply 109 of 121
    Quote:

Well, people aren't going to use PC style multitasking much in real life usage either. You ain't going to play a game in the background --- because your game character would die.

But what you might do occasionally is do something else while youtube forces you to watch a 30 second advertisement.

Seeing that RIM increased the battery size by only 100 mah tells me that they weren't off their target by much either.

I am not the one who said PC makers couldn't deliver PC style multitasking for tablets, you did. You are the one who seems to have problem understanding the difference between "cannot" and "do not want". You don't need a PC style multitasking on a tablet for a simple reason.. battery life. Beside you can't have apps running side by side because it will be a big UI mess

By the way, you can run a Youtube video in the background and listen to the audio with iOS 4.3.
  • Reply 110 of 121
    Quote:

Tell us again why you say we need all this horsepower in the Xoom and PlayBook just to do a simple 3D Graphics UI.

Obviously, you feel the PlayBook and Android OSes are superior to iOS -- explain, please, why they require twice as powerful hardware to deliver inferior results.

That's precisely the opposite of what I said.

I never said that the Playbook requires a lot of horsepower to do 3D graphics UI. I said that the Flash UI has limitations --- they CAN'T do 3D UI. I said that given the limitations imposed by the lack of 3D in Flash, RIM can only give you a relatively plain 2D UI --- BUT that also means that they aren't really sucking a lot of CPU cycles as well.

Do I need a 3D concave wall UI in a youtube video app? No. Would I occasionally need to go away and do something else while youtube forces me to watch a 30 second ad? Yes.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    Quote:

I am not the one who said PC makers couldn't deliver PC style multitasking for tablets, you did. You are the one who seems to have problem understanding the difference between "cannot" and "do not want". You don't need a PC style multitasking on a tablet for a simple reason.. battery life. Beside you can't have apps running side by side because it will be a big UI mess

By the way, you can run a Youtube video in the background and listen to the audio with iOS 4.3.

Well, next month we'll all find out if RIM can do it with decent battery life.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That's like saying that the R&D department at Apple should be ashamed for taking 3-4 years to build the iphone. RIM was never in the PC industry, was never in the tablet industry. And that all the other tablet manufacturers should be ashamed that they can't do PC style multitasking with both cores, when RIM can do it with a single core.

WTF! Apple should be ashamed for converting a desktop OS into a mobile OS and creating an entire new UI paradigm to optimize it for the I/O or should Apple be ashamed for not demoing the device until it was fully functional? The first is a great achievement that no one is even close to matching and the other should be common sense for any company that actually wants their product to succeed.

PS: Apple was the first the mass produce a fully functioning dual-core Cortex A9-based tablet. First!
  • Reply 113 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WTF! Apple should be ashamed for converting a desktop OS into a mobile OS and creating an entire new UI paradigm to optimize it for the I/O or should Apple be ashamed for not demoing the device until it was fully functional? The first is a great achievement that no one is even close to matching and the other should be common sense for any company that actually wants their product to succeed.

PS: Apple was the first the mass produce a fully functioning dual-core Cortex A9-based tablet. First!

Compare the PlayBook announcement demo at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4LI...eature=related

to any Apple product demo...

He didn't even turn it off or on -- he just held it without touching the screen (for 4 1/2 minutes) .
  • Reply 114 of 121
    Quote:

What's a DH?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No offense intended, Dick.

Post of the day!

(Sorry, Mr. Applebaum.)
  • Reply 115 of 121
    Quote:

Dick always does rather well. That bastard makes me have to think hard about a counter argument when I disagree with him.

I avoid having to ever disagree with him.
  • Reply 116 of 121
    Quote:

'Slightly'?
  • Reply 117 of 121
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I'm sorry, people are going to expect a tablet with 43.6% of the screen area of the iPad to be cheaper.

I tend to agree. 6 months ago people seemed more willing to pay the same price for a 7 inch vs the 10 inch iPad. Now that Samsung has announced aggressive pricing for the 9 inch Galaxy Tab, it'll probably set a standard for expecting lower prices for smaller screen tablets.

Mind you, the Galaxy tab 8.9 and 10.1 won't be ready until June, so Blackberry can adjust pricing as it wishes at that point. Apple is definitely setting the pace here and everyone else is clinging on for dear life. They have a solid enough product that nobody will be able to release a product that clearly blows it away for a while yet. iPad competition will exist this year, but no iPad killer.
  • Reply 118 of 121
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Compare the PlayBook announcement demo at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4LI...eature=related

to any Apple product demo...

He didn't even turn it off or on -- he just held it without touching the screen (for 4 1/2 minutes) .

He looked mimicking SJ's presentation style.

For, once I thought that it was a awkward looking phone from a distance.

RIM is sure out of ideas in every single way.

It's ironical that people try to equate substandard crap to "professional". When the "professionals" really needs a much more powerful device than a average consumer.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Dick always does rather well. That bastard makes me have to think hard about a counter argument when I disagree with him.

This comment is far funnier if taken out of context from the conversation.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

This comment is far funnier if taken out of context from the conversation.

LOL It definitely is.