Apple to sell iPad 2 in 25 more countries at 5 p.m. local time on Friday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday reiterated its plans to launch the iPad 2 on Friday, with the next-generation touchscreen tablet going on sale in stores at 5 p.m. local time, and online through the Apple Store at 1 a.m.

"While competitors are still struggling to catch up with our first iPad, we've changed the game again with iPad 2," said Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. "We’re experiencing amazing demand for iPad 2 in the U.S., and customers around the world have told us they can't wait to get their hands on it. We appreciate everyone’s patience and we are working hard to build enough iPads for everyone."

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.

Apple also revealed that the iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

One nation still missing from the list of countries for international iPad 2 sales is Japan. Apple revealed a week ago that it would delay the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan following the recent earthquake and tsunami disaster. Apple has not yet announced a new launch date.

"We are delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan while the country and our teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster," the company said.

The remainder of the international launch of the iPad 2 will go on as planned, in the face of crushing demand and limited supply in the U.S. The iPad 2 first went on sale in the U.S. earlier this month, and Apple has been unable to meet demand since its launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    So, if man buy it from apple online shop, have to wait 4-5 weeks then hands on? There is not text for that, crap!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikewolfxyou View Post

So, if man buy it from apple online shop, have to wait 4-5 weeks then hands on? There is not text for that, crap!

No, probably just like in the states there is an allocation that will ship in 2-3 days. Then an allocation that will ship in 3-5 days, 1-2 weeks up to 4-5 weeks. Of course, everyone knows this now and will be up at 1am. \

Those who have faith to buy without touching it will be rewarded, those who walk into a shop to try it and then want one could very well have to wait.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

No, probably just like in the states there is an allocation that will ship in 2-3 days. Then an allocation that will ship in 3-5 days, 1-2 weeks up to 4-5 weeks. Of course, everyone knows this now and will be up at 1am. \

Those who have faith to buy without touching it will be rewarded, those who walk into a shop to try it and then want one could very well have to wait.

Makes sense. I will do both, going to buy online and camp the store on Friday, I need two iPad anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Is that 1 a.m. Pacific? 1 a.m. local?

I know that everyone and their brother will be buying online, but I'd rather wait a few days/weeks, then stand in line for 8-10 hours like I did for the iPhone 4 launch.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    gboghgbogh Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhuntley325 View Post

Is that 1 a.m. Pacific? 1 a.m. local?

I know that everyone and their brother will be buying online, but I'd rather wait a few days/weeks, then stand in line for 8-10 hours like I did for the iPhone 4 launch.

I was just going to ask the same thing... 1am EST or 1am local time?
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also revealed that the iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

Hurray!!!!! I just came in to some cash, and April will be fine, hopefully earlier rather than later.

When the original iPad was launched last year, we didn't get it in Hong Kong until July! That staved me off from buying one, actually.

I think I'm going to go for the (black) 64GB 3G version. I would stick with WiFi, except I really want the GPS.

I have a grandfathered 3G data plan that's US$25 per month for unlimited data, and if I get the 3G version I'll consider using a SIM cutter and swapping the SIM with my Huawei router when I want to use data on my iPod Touch instead of the iPad.

Actually, I think I've just changed my mind. I'll get the WiFi. It's just not worth the muffled sound and the hassle of cutting and swapping the SIM plus $130 just to get GPS instead of triangulated data, which works pretty well here due to a huge density of WiFi routers.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBOGH View Post

I would assume it is 1 a.m. pacific, because they didn't specify "local time" like they did with 5 p.m., but I would still like to know for sure.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Must be EST. Distribution would be from Sydney anyway and if it was local time they'd be sold out by the time Perth comes around 3 hours later.

What happened in the US? Was online ordering available at one time across the whole country or at local times?
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

I would assume it is 1 a.m. pacific, because they didn't specify "local time" like they did with 5 p.m., but I would still like to know for sure.

Anyone know what timezone they used at the US launch?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Anyone know what timezone they used at the US launch?

Just asked a friend of mine in California and it was 1 a.m. pacific (actually, her tweet was at 3:52 am EST, so slightly before 1am) for the online launch.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Local time.

Would be nice if AI sourced their info so we could look that type of thing up:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/22ipad.html

Quote:

CUPERTINO, California?March 22, 2011?Apple® today announced that iPad® 2, the second-generation of its third post-PC device, will go on sale in 25 additional countries this Friday, March 25. iPad 2 will be available at Apple retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers at 5 p.m. local time, and online through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. Apple today also announced that all models of iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April.

• Reply 12 of 45
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hurray!!!!! I just came in to some cash, and April will be fine, hopefully earlier rather than later.

When the original iPad was launched last year, we didn't get it in Hong Kong until July! That staved me off from buying one, actually.

I think I'm going to go for the (black) 64GB 3G version. I would stick with WiFi, except I really want the GPS.

I have a grandfathered 3G data plan that's US$25 per month for unlimited data, and if I get the 3G version I'll consider using a SIM cutter and swapping the SIM with my Huawei router when I want to use data on my iPod Touch instead of the iPad.

Actually, I think I've just changed my mind. I'll get the WiFi. It's just not worth the muffled sound and the hassle of cutting and swapping the SIM plus $130 just to get GPS instead of triangulated data, which works pretty well here due to a huge density of WiFi routers.

Do you also have an iPhone? Apparently when you tether your iPad 2 to your iPhone, the iPad received GPS info from the iPhone. So, your iPad will be as accurate as your iPhone when tethered.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...to-wi-fi-ipad/

http://www.everythingicafe.com/ipad-...ne/2011/03/16/

Don't know if this has actually been confirmed with Apple, but if it is true, it is a nice touch.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Crap. That means I'll be spending my whole day in a line at my local Apple Store. I am under no illusion whatsoever that it's not going to be a fun time but that if you're not in line early, you'll not get one here in Canada. Ah well, pack a lunch, my iPad, and a good book and just make a day of it I guess. Grrr.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Local time.

Would be nice if AI sourced their info so we could look that type of thing up:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/22ipad.html

That release says the exact same thing as a AI article. The "local time" is only specified for the in-store launch. The 1am has no specification.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    This suggests that Apple must not be worried about supply disruptions from Japan. That could be viewed as good news.

I wonder if Apple has placed their online stores at the back of the line for iPad availability. If so, it's an interesting move. Apple probably gets the highest profit margins from selling through their own on-line store, so they're giving up some profits that way. But by supplying b&m stores ahead of the online store, they (1) make the iPad available to more "ordinary" people who tend to shop in b&m stores, (2) they get those lovely long lines that then create free press, and (3) they keep their retail partners happy.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Must be EST. Distribution would be from Sydney anyway and if it was local time they'd be sold out by the time Perth comes around 3 hours later.

What happened in the US? Was online ordering available at one time across the whole country or at local times?

I'm pretty sure each international online store has their own set of stock (i.e. the Canada store won't affect the Australia store)
  • Reply 17 of 45
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikewolfxyou View Post

They probably already had enough in reserve for the international launch and hope they can eventually fill all the online orders when/if the Japanese suppliers are back up and running. Sucks for those in the US that ordered online, as we could see their delivery dates getting put back further and further then being cancelled if those suppliers aren't up and running in any reasonable timeframe.

Then it's a case of Apple trying to find alternate suppliers. The problems comes in that for some things, the Japanese do not allow anyone else to manufacture things using their intellectual property, as they know that this will just get copied. After all this is exactly what they did to US and European companies in the 80s and 90s.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Do you also have an iPhone? Apparently when you tether your iPad 2 to your iPhone, the iPad received GPS info from the iPhone. So, your iPad will be as accurate as your iPhone when tethered.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...to-wi-fi-ipad/

http://www.everythingicafe.com/ipad-...ne/2011/03/16/

Don't know if this has actually been confirmed with Apple, but if it is true, it is a nice touch.

Sounds great, but I use an iPod Touch with a 3G WiFi router.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Canadian prices are out, 16 gigs wifi at 519$, down 30$ from iPad 1 prices.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Er. For Australia online purchases I would assume start at 1am Sydney time, available throughout the country. How the heck would they know you were in Perth? They don't even check if you're overseas. As long as the credit card and the billing address is Australian, it's all good.

The 5PM in-store is local time, which means East Coast gets it first then Perth 2 hours later.

(Removed personal info on getting my iPad2, don't want to jinx it )