Apple rumored to release new iMacs with Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt by early May

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    I love my iMac original intel. I'm looking to get a wifi iPad2. I'm going to put some serious effort in to seeing if I can run my Real Estate business from an iPad2 and my iPhone 4 (soon to be an iPhone 5). If not, I'll also get an 11" MBA.

I think the current iMac is close to perfection with the wireless keyboard, magic pad and magic mouse, snow leopard. But knowing Apple the next iMac will be thinner, faster, etc., etc.

I still look at the iMac as the "digital hub" of my home.

I too will wait for Lion to be installed. Looking fwd to iWork '11 also.

Best
  • Reply 42 of 109
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Even though I do hate the glossy screens I think I have about convinced myself that I can live with one. The final push for me will be if the GPUs on the new iMacs get a nice bump up.

Also, I would imagine a Mac Pro update isn't far off as well.

-kpluck
  • Reply 43 of 109
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    do i detect any mini upgrades on the horizon? or even possibly some rumors.

my ppc mini is really tired but still tries to crank it out every day.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    luphluph Posts: 14member
    I went to the apple store recently because I was considering the possibility of an iMac in the future, and I wanted to see how big a difference it made for the screen to be glossy (currently using a matte screen monitor). It was unbearable, at least for me. There was way too much reflection, and there isn't even any natural light in this particular apple store (it's in a mall). It'd be nice if apple would consider a matte option, but it's probably a long shot.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

tick, tick, tick, tick................

My Dual 2Ghz G5 work hoarse will soon be put out to pasture for a wellllllllll deserved retirement!

I hope there is a design tweak to allow easy access to the hard drive, not just the ram, tough.

27" i7 8gb ram......

You mean like this?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/i...lacement/873/1

But some Apple guys will try to argue that this is just as easy:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/i...acement/1634/1
  • Reply 46 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

also, i would imagine a mac pro update isn't far off as well.

Q4 2011.

And some lower-case letters to get around the caps filter.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Now if we hear of a Mac mini with SB & thunderbolt I'll really be excited! We'll basically have the headless Mac that many of us have been waiting for... After all, TB is pretty much a PCIe bus in the form of an external port. In fact, if a device doesn't have a PCIe bus it can't have TB... So no TB for AppleTV or any other iPhone based hardware but iMac and mini both have a PCI bus MacBook & MacBook pro too even tho they don't have any slots bolted to it...

So all we need now is an external box with some PCI slots on it and a TB ports in the back and suddenly lots of options open up that were previously unavailable.

Such a box would also need an internal power supply, unless you want another AC brick. Maybe some hard drive bays and quiet fans as well. Basically, it would be a small "dockable" minitower with no CPU.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The oldest 17" flat panel was introduced July, 2002. Not even nine years old. The youngest version will be seven this summer.

My iMac will be eleven this summer I use it every day.

Over time, Macs are by far the most cost-effective computers you can buy.

I bought mine soon after they came out and it was a true Trojan. I did have to replace the power supply after seven years of hard work, then last year the fluorescent panel went and regrettably it was not worth the cost of repair. I say regrettably, because I believe it was the most ergonomic design ever for a computer. Being able to adjust the screen height, angle and pitch with just the tip of a finger was a true piece of Jonny Ive genius.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Such a box would also need an internal power supply, unless you want another AC brick. Maybe some hard drive bays and quiet fans as well. Basically, it would be a small "dockable" minitower with no CPU.

And plenty other formats.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

THE xMAC! GREAT SCOTT!
  • Reply 51 of 109
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The amount of speed bump you get in a few months is useless. Heck, even the speed bumps you get in a year are irrelevant for 95% of users. The vast majority of computer users are fine with a year old computer - and would hardly even notice the speed gains on going with a newer computer.

Someone with a brain.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    eyepadeyepad Posts: 39member
    The new SB will be a nice addition. Thunderbolt is so limited right now, that's not really a feature yet.

I have the newest 27" iMac i5 quad core with 8GB ram and the ATI 5770 and it's SO fast!

Love the machine. I will be skipping the 2011 upgrade but in 2012, I will pass this one down to the wife and get the newest monster.

Great news for those thinking of buying an iMac.

I would LOVE to see Apple make a 30" iMac (wish list for 2012)
  • Reply 53 of 109
    I got my iMac 2 years ago, My wife got hers last year. That is the last desktops that will grace our house.

I am very disappointed with the current iMacs. I don't know why, I just feel as though Apple is no longer interested in desktops.

After Lion comes out I will buy a 15" macbook pro and a cinema display. My iMac will become an iTunes server in the office.

I really feel that we will see the desktop death in my lifetime, and Apple will lead that charge. I would be surprised if the iMac exists in 5 years. Pros will still be around for the "Pros", otherwise get a ...book.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyljohnson View Post

I got my iMac 2 years ago, My wife got hers last year. That is the last desktops that will grace our house.

I am very disappointed with the current iMacs. I don't know why, I just feel as though Apple is no longer interested in desktops.

I don't know where this comes from.

I had a 24" iMac Core2Duo (2.8, I think) a couple of years ago and it was a fine computer. Did everything I needed it to do very quickly, Lots of screen space so I was able to view lots of things at the same time, and essentially no compromises.

While there are a lot of people who can replace their desktop with a laptop, that doesn't apply to everyone. Just the screen size is a killer for me (I don't picture carrying around a 24" laptop any time soon).

And I'm getting tired of the "Apple doesn't care about desktops any more" (which is just a subset of "Apple doesn't care about computers any more"). Clearly, they do - and they continue to update their desktops at roughly the same pace that they've used for years. It may not seem like as much because the improvements are modest in each generation (largely due to the fact that computers are so much faster than most people need that "oh, another speed bump" isn't a big deal any more), so it may not seem like they're interested, but computers are an essential part of Apple's ecosystem. They would be foolish to neglect any part of the ecosystem - and there's really no sign that they're ignoring desktops, either.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

My current iMac is about a year old.

The thing that would make me upgrade is a matte-screen.

The gloss is just unbearable..

I have to close all the blinds in my apartment when watching a movie..

It bugs the crap out of me.

+1

Oh please Apple, get off of this glossy kick, give us the option!
  • Reply 56 of 109
    axolotlaxolotl Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

Yeah, I don't get the apple love fest with the glossy displays. Alienating a lot of users out there. My wife needs a new laptop and the 13" Macbook Pro or one of the Macbook Airs would be great, but you can't get it with a matte display. Pretty arbitrary on Apple's part.

+1. Love my 17' white matte iMac. I guess my next mac it's gonna be a mac mini with some third party matte display.

Hopefully the mini gets a good processor upgrade this year.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Will it be too much to ask for I wonder, for the iMac to actually get some modern components in it? USB 3 and blu-ray are LONG overdue, and where are the 3.4ghz i7s?

The current iMac is like a time capsule with old components of various vintages thrown together. The optical drive (circa 1998) is hilariously outdated.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

...USB 3 and blu-ray are LONG overdue...

As you can't seem to understand that this will never happen, go buy a PC.

I've had a Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive in my Mac Pro for a long time. I play 1080p movies from the disks while booted into OS X. It's not that hard.

It's possible. Apple isn't going to add DRM to the OS, so do it the workaround way or buy a PC.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luph View Post

I went to the apple store recently because I was considering the possibility of an iMac in the future, and I wanted to see how big a difference it made for the screen to be glossy (currently using a matte screen monitor). It was unbearable, at least for me. There was way too much reflection, and there isn't even any natural light in this particular apple store (it's in a mall). It'd be nice if apple would consider a matte option, but it's probably a long shot.

Why don't you just get an anti-reflection film? Not as nice as a matte screen out of box, but it does add some protection to the screen.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/1...i-glare-matte/
  • Reply 60 of 109
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Will it be too much to ask for I wonder, for the iMac to actually get some modern components in it? USB 3 and blu-ray are LONG overdue, and where are the 3.4ghz i7s?

The current iMac is like a time capsule with old components of various vintages thrown together. The optical drive (circa 1998) is hilariously outdated.

Apple won't offer USB3 now they have Thunderbolt, and they will get rid of optical drive in a few years altogether.

Other than the optical drive, I don't think anything in an iMac is really outdated. Still I have never felt the optical drive as a limiting factor as old as it is. As a middle of road performer, iMac never was going to live on the bleeding edge. But calling the components "vintage" is really pushing the envelope of credibility.