Apple TV 4.2.1 update addresses screen flickering issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a minor update for its second-generation Apple TV set top box, with software version 4.2.1 addressing an issue that caused screen flickering on some older high-definition TVs.

Apple TV Software Update 4.2.1 can now be downloaded directly from the device. It applies only to the second-generation Apple TV, released last year. Features, according to Apple, are:

TV compatibility: Addresses issues that may cause the screen to flicker or display incorrect color on some older TVs.

Wake from sleep: Addresses an issue where Apple TV may not wake from sleep.

Audio: Addresses an issue where audio may not be heard on some TV models after switching from another input.

Stability and performance: Apple TV software Update 4.2.1 includes stability and performance fixes for Apple TV.

AppleInsider was first to report on the Apple TV screen flickering issue earlier this month. Users said that the problem occurred on a variety of older HDTV sets, typically ones that display in the 1080i video format, and upscale content from 720p.

The issue arose after the Apple TV 4.2 update was released this month. That update added support for AirPlay in third-party applications, as well as access to live streaming games from NBA League Pass and MLB.TV, and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound for streaming Netflix content.

AppleInsider was also first to reveal one week ago that Apple was working on a fix for the screen flickering issue that was affecting a small number of users. The update arrives less than two weeks after the issue was discovered with the 4.2 update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Since v4.2, I have multiple files that either don't play at all or play with no sound.

Thise release v4.2.1 does not resolve my sound nor my playback issues.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    WARNING: Update with Caution - see below...

Hmm, got the update but since I never had the flickering or audio issues, see no difference. Oh well...

EDIT: OK - big difference, just tried to go to Netflix, ATV locked up. Tried to do the two button press/hold reset with the remote - no dice.

Got my fat American butt off the couch, pulled the power, plugged it back in - got a brief message I have never seen before about setting the date/time and still have a non-responsive GUI

The light on the front of the ATV flickers with the remote so I know it's not a paring issue... sigh...

EDIT2: Ok, apparently it was a pairing issue - whipped out the remote app on my iphone, navigated to the settings and unpaired the remote - it started working. Oh how I hate infrared...

EDIT3: I was going to complain that the update killed Netflix, but it just took a really long time for the Netflix app to launch.

And now it's complaining it can't sign in. Lovely.... And I can't seem to click OK with the Apple Remote or the remote app on the iphone - whoops, it literally took three minutes to respond - and now it threw up the same unable to sign in error - this time with no blue background on the OK button - I wonder how many minutes this will take to resolve.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    @DocNo42,

Factory reset.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Factory reset.

Didn't think I needed to do that as everything else is working - signed out, signed back in to everything else - just not Netflix.

Oh well, might as well try it...

Well, the restore wasn't bad - thank goodness everything streams so no long wait to re-sync!

Nope. No change Screw it, I'll switch over to the Tivo and see if it has the same problem - it could be Netflix...

Nope, Netflix works fine on the Tivo. Great - wonder what they screwed up now
  • Reply 5 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Hey @DocNo42, re your footer. I had to laugh ... then comment.

"In fact, I think your total intollerance of anything remotely religious is more offensive."

You have to be kidding. This in a country where if you were to profess you were not religious publicly you couldn't win an election as a dog catcher let alone become President?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    lewieelewiee Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

WARNING: Update with Caution - see below...

Hmm, got the update but since I never had the flickering or audio issues, see no difference. Oh well...

EDIT: OK - big difference, just tried to go to Netflix, ATV locked up. Tried to do the two button press/hold reset with the remote - no dice.

Got my fat American butt off the couch, pulled the power, plugged it back in - got a brief message I have never seen before about setting the date/time and still have a non-responsive GUI

The light on the front of the ATV flickers with the remote so I know it's not a paring issue... sigh...

EDIT2: Ok, apparently it was a pairing issue - whipped out the remote app on my iphone, navigated to the settings and unpaired the remote - it started working. Oh how I hate infrared...

EDIT3: I was going to complain that the update killed Netflix, but it just took a really long time for the Netflix app to launch.

And now it's complaining it can't sign in. Lovely.... And I can't seem to click OK with the Apple Remote or the remote app on the iphone - whoops, it literally took three minutes to respond - and now it threw up the same unable to sign in error - this time with no blue background on the OK button - I wonder how many minutes this will take to resolve.

Just finished the update and having similar issues.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewieE View Post

Just finished the update and having similar issues.

Just went to netflix.com, and was greeted with this message:

\t

We?re sorry, the Netflix website and the ability to instantly watch movies are both temporarily unavailable.

However, our shipping centers are continuing to send and receive DVDs so your order is in process as usual.

Our engineers are working hard to bring the site and ability to watch instantly back up as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and, again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-877-445-6064.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey @DocNo42, re your footer. I had to laugh ... then comment.

It's from an old thread on the board here - just search for the background...

The Tivo is still streaming fine - haven't tried the ATV again - not going to bother tonight, time to head to bed...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Major Netflix streaming errors and time date errors!! I'd rather have a flickering screen. doesn't anyone at apple have a Netflix account. You'd think they would have tested this feature with new software releases.

• Reply 10 of 16
    I also had a number of issues with Netflix after updating and subsequently had problems streaming purchased TV Shows from iTunes on my computer. Ended up eventually yanking the power cord to force a reboot and everything appears to be operating fine now.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Note there was/is a problem with Netflix servers that seems to have coincidentally happened right around the time of the update.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Was having Netflix issues last night, so I did a restore not knowing there was a firmware update. Not only did Netflix not work, but the thing would hang, randomly reboot, I got the weird time/date message, and Music One radio station wouldn't play. I ended up finishing my Netflix show on the iPhone (worked fine) and going to bed. I'll see what kind of shape it's in after work today.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Again I am glad I didn't update my ATV. What's Apple thinking, they can't fix something without breaking something else? I will keep my ATV the way it came from the store in January, no more updates.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    updated as soon as available yesterday. absolutely no problems at all. Seems to wake from sleep quicker and is a bit snappier overall.

Netflix streaming always hangs on my atv and my wii. dont know why i bother with it
  • Reply 15 of 16
    paul kpaul k Posts: 7member
    I updated my ATV last night and was having problems with Netflix also. I could not access the site plus the remote would freeze after I selected Netflix. I did a system restore and that did not help. I have not yet tried to use the ATV today.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Just received this email from Netflix:
    We're sorry you may have had trouble watching instantly

Dear [Solipsism],

Recently you may have had trouble instantly watching TV episodes or movies due to technical issues.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. If you attempted and were unable to instantly watch TV episodes or movies yesterday, click on this account specific link in the next 7 days to apply your 3% credit to your next billing statement for your Watch Instantly Unlimited plan. Credit can only be applied once.

Ready to start watching again? Check out our latest selection.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-866-923-0898.

?The Netflix Team