International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With the iPad 2 set to go on sale in just a matter of hours in some countries, lines have begun to form around the world, and some of Apple's online stores have begun taking preorders.

The iPad 2 is set to go on sale on Friday at 5 p.m. local time in 25 countries. Like in the U.S., those who want to get the new touchscreen tablet on the first day will need to go to a brick-and-mortar retail store.

Those who want to be among the first to get their hands on the iPad 2 have already begun to line up across the globe. AppleInsider has received reports from readers who have witnessed long lines in Australia, Germany, the U.K. and more.

Online preorders for the iPad 2 have also begun in many countries, with more to come as countries reach 1 a.m. local time on Friday. Unlike in the U.S., where new orders have an estimated shipping time of four to five weeks, new online orders in Australia ship in two to three weeks.

But if the U.S. launch and online sales are any indication, those estimated shipping dates will likely slip as orders continue to pile up. When Apple first began taking iPad 2 orders via its U.S. store, initial shipping estimates were just two to three days.

iPad 2 line in Australia. Photo via Flickr user Beau Giles.

Apple has faced incredible demand for the iPad 2 in the U.S., and has struggled to keep the device in stock at more than 10,000 retail outlets around the country. The company's inability to meet demand in the U.S. has led to speculation that similar stockouts will occur around the world.

Last year, strong sales of the first-generation iPad forced Apple to delay the international launch of the device by a month. But Apple has stuck by its March 25 introduction for the iPad 2 in all countries but Japan, due to the recent earthquake disaster.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.

The iPad 2 will also be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced by Apple at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Ahhh... the George Street Apple Store in Sydney. I was there about 8 hours ago, it was crowded but there was no line yet. Enjoy your new iPads - Tricycle for the Mind (TM).
  • Reply 2 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The information in the article is outdated, because US online orders have been moved up and are no longer 4-5 weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation from MacMall.com for mine.

They said first week of April, but I'm hoping it's sooner.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The information in the article is outdated, because US online orders have been moved up and are no longer 4-5 weeks.

It now says 3-4 weeks.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    This shows the popularity and appeal of Apple products even internationally.

Bravo Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

It now says 3-4 weeks.

Yes. I'm just waiting for my Apple online order to get bumped up, because I just checked, and the shipping time remains the same.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ahhh... the George Street Apple Store in Sydney. I was there about 8 hours ago, it was crowded but there was no line yet. Enjoy your new iPads - Tricycle for the Mind (TM).

I hope the homeless people continue to harass them.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I hope the homeless people continue to harass them.

You know, that gives me a great idea. If I were there, I'd totally pay a homeless guy $50 to wait in line for me. Would save my time and give them some much-needed cash.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

You know, that gives me a great idea. If I were there, I'd totally pay a homeless guy $50 to wait in line for me. Would save my time and give them some much-needed cash.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Hate to use the term, but that's bi-winning.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    this is nuts. i don't understand this.

why are there so many people that have to have it day 1? What will you lose by waiting 3-4 weeks for a package to come?

this is insane.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy about this! i just don't understand it. (i'd be happier if the stock price were affected by this in some way)...
  • Reply 11 of 52
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

why are there so many people that have to have it day 1? What will you lose by waiting 3-4 weeks for a package to come?

this is insane.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy about this! i just don't understand it. (i'd be happier if the stock price were affected by this in some way)...

I stood in line last year for my iPhone4 , but standing in line for an iPad, Nah,.. i will give this a miss,
  • Reply 12 of 52
    ojalaojala Posts: 18member
    At 11pm Apple should give all the folks in the queue a number and ask them to be back tomorrow morning at 7am. Same order.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ojala View Post

At 11pm Apple should give all the folks in the queue a number and ask them to be back tomorrow morning at 7am. Same order.

Yes, same order, but minimal press exposure and much less free advertising about how much people want to get an iPad 2.

What you're suggesting works great where there's no marketing value in having a long line (or where the line might actually hurt your image), but that's just not the case for the iPad 2.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Still fixated on this obsolete analogy. We passed the bicycle-for-the-mind age in the 1980s, the truck-for-the-mind age in the 90s, the sports-car-for-the-mind age in the 00s. We're now using the ultralight airplane for the mind.

Marshall McLuhan: We drive into the future with our eyes fixed firmly on the rear-view mirror.

Not all of us. He did not mean people like Steve Jobs, or himself, of course.

But people who do not get the iPad and the new paradigm are holding back progress, at least mental progress. Gruber links to a piece in PCWorld which demonstrates just how bad rearview mirror vision can get. "Why Tablets Are Just a Fad":

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ust_a_fad.html
  • Reply 15 of 52
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ojala View Post

Wishful thinking, what about people who show up overnight when the store is closed only to find out they have NO chance of getting an iPad even if they are first in line and waited all night.

I can see it now, Libya all over again... or... still.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is insane.

This is one of the few times when it probably makes sense. With the ongoing problems in Japan, which have adversely impacted Apple's ability to make iPads and iPhones given a shortage of Japanese-made components, there is no guarantee that Apple are going to be able to ramp production any time soon. What's being sold at this launch were probably made before the earthquake struck, so if you want an iPad2 any time soon, best get in line.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I'm sure the homeless guy wouldn't just wait for you to leave then roll out.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg,, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain. on March 25 for a suggested retail price of $499 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $599 (U.S.) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) the 64GB model. iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (U.S.) for the 16GB model, $729 (U.S.) for the 32GB model and $829 (U.S.) for the 64GB model.

I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479? and so on for the WiFi model and 599? an so on for the 3G one
  • Reply 19 of 52
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Wishful thinking, what about people who show up overnight when the store is closed only to find out they have NO chance of getting an iPad even if they are first in line and waited all night.

What about them? Put a sign on the door saying "All iPads for March 25th have been spoken for.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Hate to use the term, but that's bi-winning.

Then use the traditional term "win-win" that isn't tied to celebrity of the week.