US iPad 2 orders from Apple's online store now ship in 3-4 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Availability of the iPad 2 has begun to improve, as Apple has eased the estimated ship time to between three and four weeks for new orders through its online store in the U.S.

The new estimated shipping times for U.S. customers are an improvement from the previous estimate of between four and five weeks. But the wait is a little longer than some international orders, which are estimated to ship in two to three weeks.

The shipping improvement is only a week, but it's a sign that Apple is beginning to catch up with strong demand it has faced since the iPad 2 first launched in the U.S. earlier this month. It's also a good sign for the international launch, as there had been some concern that sales in 25 new countries would only exacerbate the problem.

The iPad 2 completely sold out at all retail outlets in the U.S. in its first weekend of availability, and stock has continued to trickle in over the following weeks. But there has also been concern about Apple's stock going forward, following the earthquake disaster in Japan and its potential effect on iPad components.

Last week, a report from the Far East indicated that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn had stockpiled enough components to continue to assemble iPad 2 units for at least another two to three weeks. It was said that if the situation in Japan did not improve, Apple could face a stockout of the iPad 2.

But for now those concerns appear to be unfounded, as availability appears to be improving with quicker shipping estimates. In addition, numerous readers have informed AppleInsider that their iPad 2 online order has shipped ahead of schedule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But for now those concerns appear to be unfounded, as availability appears to be improving with quicker shipping estimates. In addition, numerous readers have informed AppleInsider that their iPad 2 online order has shipped ahead of schedule.

I ordered my iPad 2 at 9PM on launch day... still waiting for it to ship. My cover is arriving today, but a lot of good that does me.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

I ordered my iPad 2 at 9PM on launch day... still waiting for it to ship. My cover is arriving today, but a lot of good that does me.

Ordered mine at 7am CT on Launch day, got my cover last week and my Fedex tracking shows the actual iPad2 will arrive tomorrow.

Pretty much 100% in line with what the estimates showed on my invoice.

It's been fun to a certain extent seeing it move from Hong Kong to the US and into the middle of the country.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdub52MOsox View Post

Ordered mine at 7am CT on Launch day, got my cover last week and my Fedex tracking shows the actual iPad2 will arrive tomorrow.

Pretty much 100% in line with what the estimates showed on my invoice.

It's been fun to a certain extent seeing it move from Hong Kong to the US and into the middle of the country.

All well and good to see my iPad2 cover moving... it would be nice to see my iPad 2 moving! lol.

It is annoying to see hundreds, if not thousands, of iPad 2s on ebay and craigslist though for 200+ more then the selling price. Since I have a job and a life, lining up every morning at an Apple store to buy an iPad 2 isn't an option.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Ordered my device at 6:00am PST on 3/11 and it shows a ship date of April 1. Meanwhile, the case I ordered from MacAlly already arrived.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

My cover is arriving today, but a lot of good that does me.

Stick it on your fridge, and you'll have a constant reminder of what else is coming soon.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Last week, a report from the Far East indicated that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn had stockpiled enough components to continue to assemble iPad 2 units for at least another two to three weeks. It was said that if the situation in Japan did not improve, Apple could face a stockout of the iPad 2.

Not to be a downer, but this could just mean parts for assembly destined for Japan have been diverted to assembly for US and the other countries.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

All well and good to see my iPad2 cover moving... it would be nice to see my iPad 2 moving! lol.

It is annoying to see hundreds, if not thousands, of iPad 2s on ebay and craigslist though for 200+ more then the selling price. Since I have a job and a life, lining up every morning at an Apple store to buy an iPad 2 isn't an option.

I think it's evident by many of the posts on this site that plenty of folks don't have a job and/or a life. I planned in advance to just order on-line on launch day and get it when I get it. I did NOT have a Pad1 so a few weeks more won't hurt.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdub52MOsox View Post

I think it's evident by many of the posts on this site that plenty of folks don't have a job and/or a life.

The bums and professional losers who have been camping out every single day and buying out entire stocks of Apple stores have made it into their jobs.

It's looking like stock will soon be plentiful enough and hopefully these losers will end up sitting on a bunch of iPads that they won't be able to sell for any significant profit and they will have just ended up wasting many hours of their time, which obviously isn't worth much to begin with.

Soon when all stores have stock, who is going to want to buy an iPad from ebay or from other shady people online, when they can get it cheaper from retail stores?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    farshadfarshad Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The bums and professional losers who have been camping out every single day and buying out entire stocks of Apple stores have made it into their jobs.

It's looking like stock will soon be plentiful enough and hopefully these losers will end up sitting on a bunch of iPads that they won't be able to sell for any significant profit and they will have just ended up wasting many hours of their time, which obviously isn't worth much to begin with.

Soon when all stores have stock, who is going to want to buy an iPad from ebay or from other shady people online, when they can get it cheaper from retail stores?

They will return in within 14 Days. Problem solved !
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Like this post.. wish this site just had a 'Like' button. Maybe it does.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Apparently the stores are getting them in pretty regularly. My boss just got two when his son waited in line in the early AM this morning.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    us1234us1234 Posts: 1member
    mmmmm......cheese!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    tworthtworth Posts: 4member
    Mine still shows the same ship date of April 19 that it showed when ordered 8 days ago.

Yet, apparently, I could order one right now and have it ship in 3-4 weeks, which is the 14th-21st. Maybe mine will ship earlier than it says, I hope.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I wonder when it will finally come to normal 5 to 7 days shipping.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Apple site still showing 4-5 weeks for the 64GB 3G. Few other models show 3-4 weeks. Ordered mine on 3/11 and still shows a shipe date of April 1.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliffvk View Post

Ordered my device at 6:00am PST on 3/11 and it shows a ship date of April 1. Meanwhile, the case I ordered from MacAlly already arrived.

That is what mine said (April 1 ship date). I ordered at 5:30 am Pacific time.

It shipped yesterday. On its way now.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:

On one hand, it seems like Apple should have expected to much much inventory ready for the masses to avoid scalping and get the iPad into the hands of those who actually want to keep it. Perhaps they should be allowing customers to purchase one at a time, seems only fair given the current supply. Then they could ease that once stores actually keep stock for more than a day at a time.

I am curious though, has anyone actually walked into any store, without waiting in an iPad line, and purchased the device right then and there?

It seems a bit unreasonable to have to wait a month.

On the other hand, it would be silly to produce and stock ALL the iPads necessary to let everyone get it right away, that would just create overstock and would totally kill the demand way too quickly. They'd be stuck with extra iPads in some areas and not enough in others, which isn't good for business in scenarios like this.

Hype and building desire is a good thing, but when there's so little stock that scalpers can buy it and sell them for hundreds of dollars more than the retail price, there's definitely a problem Apple should be working on solving.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    20 - 25 days
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Availability of the iPad 2 has begun to improve, as Apple has eased the estimated ship time to between three and four weeks for new orders through its online store in the U.S....

So, despite all the scary blog posts, the hand-wringing and the distorted stories about Apple having problems because of stupidity, the Japanese earthquake etc. ...

... all that's really happened is that availability was a tiny bit spotty for the first week or two. Wow.

the phrase "tempest in a teapot" comes to mind.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Existing online orders from Apple are getting updated now.

Mine just got moved up and it is shipping one whole day earlier!