Windows

Did I miss anyone?

Mattel?
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

It's Dalvik.

Thx... Fixed!

I like to be precise when I disparage something -- so there is no doubt of my intentions!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is kind of a problem because of the screen size and aspect ratio...

In landscape mode, you get only a few lines of a WP or SS documet above the on-screen kb (which is also too narrow for touch typing) *

* a BT kb eliminates the portability advantages of the saller screen

In portrait mode it is too narrow to display a page...

... But you can run that HD video in the background while you are fiddling with document creation...

I've been around for 71 years...

Good I know nothing about...

... But bad, i understand!

One could say it's too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. What a marketing slogan eh?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Gotta love that picture. Remember all the LOLing about how ridiculous the iPad's virtual keyboard was? "Real Men? need Real Keyboards?." How much do you want to bet there's complete silence about this 57.4% smaller keyboard? Or that the Blackberry loyalists who just had to have a physical keyboard will swallow this without a peep, because...it's not Apple doing it!

They connect it to their blackberry so they'll have their 2 inch keyboard to go with their 7" screen.

Rim Jim predicts they will sell millions!

This company was a market leader at one time, but the market has passed them by and now they can't even play catch up.
  • Reply 25 of 46

Simple question...

Where do you go to get an app that is designed for (to exploit the advantages of) the PlayBook?

• Reply 26 of 46
    Oh God, this is going to be bad.

I mean seriously, why would someone buy this when you can get an ipad for the same price?

I re-watched this early review:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-review

And this guy from Blackberry seems utterly embarrassed. "This is our PlayBook. Um...what can i say?"

Exactly.
  • Reply 27 of 46

Question: Where does a PlayBook user go to get mail, contacts and a calendar?

Answer: US Post Office, RoloDex, DayTimer...

... Now, that's jazz

• Reply 28 of 46
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhowlin View Post

Oh God, this is going to be bad.

I mean seriously, why would someone buy this when you can get an ipad for the same price?

I re-watched this early review:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-review

And this guy from Blackberry seems utterly embarrassed. "This is our PlayBook. Um...what can i say?"

Exactly.

Bait and switch with that post, huh? Your first post too! Niiiiice....
  • Reply 30 of 46
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Jim Ballsilie:

"Now we have 100,000 apps too! Instantly!"

Yikes. This has all the makings of a colossal failure.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Just got back... UofA Arizona just trounced Duke to go to the Elite Eight.

Yeah 'cats!
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm going with PalmPlay RimDroid. Which I believe I saw in a sex shop once. It was......disturbing.

HAHHHH
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Holly crap!! It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion. I can't look away.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Uh oh. Uncle Ballsillie is 'splainin' stuff again. No good can come of that.

Quote:

First of all, what we announced is Gingerbread. This is not Honeycomb. I don't know what the number of Honeycomb apps is, but it's not very many. Whereas Gingerbread they've got lots of them. You've got the volume of the handset apps, so if you're looking for the tonnage of apps, or some kind of long tail stuff, you've got it.

At the end of the day, people are going to want performance. You're just not going to get things like gaming and multimedia, you're not going to get the speed going through a VM interface. If you want content, or Flash type stuff, or you're looking at AIR-type, evolving web-type assets, that's what you're going to do.

There's no compromise here. You've got the tonnage of apps. And you've got the performance. Do I think the tonnage is overplayed? Yes.

But if you think it's about having a couple hundred thousand apps, there you go.

Yeah, Android shit, we stuck it on there for people stupid enough to go for the "lots of apps" thing. Knock yourself out, losers. But of course, we expect our losers, sorry customers, to step up and use some of the other two or three environments that we've got going on. I mean, we put everything on here, something's bound to work, right?

Quote:

Do we believe it's about super high performance? Yes. Do we believe it's about full web fidelity? Yes. These are concepts that were really relegated as not technically possible, which we're doing here. This is a no compromise environment.

If you want to work on Android, great. Do we think people will want to migrate web assets? Yes. Do we think they're going to want super high performance native assets with the SDK? Absolutely. You think they're going to want to use their Flash based stuff for an offline Flash/AIR type environment? Yes.

Am I addicted to rhetorical questions? I am. Do I give every impression that I've completely lost control of the process and am treading water as hard as I can? I do.

Quote:

I'm just not interested in these sort of religious application tonnage issues. I really think we put that issue to bed. And if you think the whole world's going to want to develop for Gingerbread, fine. Do I think that's going to happen? Then why is there a different environment for a tablet? And you know about the performance issues and you know about the app volume issues, cause it's tough. And that's why QNX matters.

But I'd just like to return for a moment to the fact that the applications we've just announced are going to be available basically blow chunks, and I want you to know we did that by design. Because I am insane.

Quote:

That's why people are saying, Is this stuff going to go more in the browser and HTML 5 and more native? These are going to be strong trends. But if you want these app players for different VMs -- and don't forget we have 25,000 BlackBerry 6 apps. So, at the end of the day, we believe this is going to be about performance. It's going to be about enterprise greatness. Things like multi-threaded capability, symmetric multiprocessing. We believe it's about an uncompromised web. We believe it's about enterprise security. True multitasking, not with suspension -- and that matters because you're going to want to run these things in the background.

I just don't think I can stress this enough: we're going out of our way to make sure our make or break tablet initiative is positively infested with what we freely admit will be truly terrible, poorly running applications, and we're betting that this will make our native apps look really good and generally make everyone feel really good about the PlayBook.

Quote:

But I'm out of the religious war on tonnage, which I'm delighted.

Say, are there are a lot of bees in here, or is that my brain?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just got back... UofA Arizona just trounced Duke to go to the Elite Eight.

I am not sure if you realized your comment was on-topic, but it is exactly what I thought of when I read this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

This company was a market leader at one time, but the market has passed them by and now they can't even play catch up.

• Reply 36 of 46
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

RimPlay PalmDroids?

Actually, to be fair, I think RIM's strategy is pretty good. Yeah, the AI post makes is sound like a loser proposition, but do you think very many people would develop code for the Playbook in native mode only? Yeah, they may only get "just good enough Android ports" but that's better than nothing at all.

No its not. Like Apples says you can use iphone software on the ipad. Well its works but its EFFING anoying to use something that has not been developed for ipad. I have deleted all my apps on the ipad that just work in 1x/2x mode. Useless if you ask me. Native apps, we need more!!!! Or more clever developers!!!! (eg eyetv, and some other works on both, some have two apps, one for ipad one for iphone, some have only useless iphone app for ipad)
  • Reply 37 of 46
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Think they should have called it the Job instead of playbook. Would have at least made articles about it worth reading.

e.g. 1 million RIM Jobs sold

Get a RIM Job for success in business etc
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Uh oh. Uncle Ballsillie is 'splainin' stuff again. No good can come of that.

Yeah, Android shit, we stuck it on there for people stupid enough to go for the "lots of apps" thing. Knock yourself out, losers. But of course, we expect our losers, sorry customers, to step up and use some of the other two or three environments that we've got going on. I mean, we put everything on here, something's bound to work, right?

Am I addicted to rhetorical questions? I am. Do I give every impression that I've completely lost control of the process and am treading water as hard as I can? I do.

But I'd just like to return for a moment to the fact that the applications we've just announced are going to be available basically blow chunks, and I want you to know we did that by design. Because I am insane.

I just don't think I can stress this enough: we're going out of our way to make sure our make or break tablet initiative is positively infested with what we freely admit will be truly terrible, poorly running applications, and we're betting that this will make our native apps look really good and generally make everyone feel really good about the PlayBook.

Say, are there are a lot of bees in here, or is that my brain?

LOL... priceless!
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

App "tonnage" is something Apple plays up all the time. What do you think the "There's an app for that" tag line is saying? Apparently Apple thinks people are "stupid enough to go for the 'lots of apps' thing" too.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

App "tonnage" is something Apple plays up all the time. What do you think the "There's an app for that" tag line is saying? Apparently Apple thinks people are "stupid enough to go for the 'lots of apps' thing" too.

Yeah, he was all but channeling Jobs when he kind of tossed out tonnage as a sop to people who like that kind of thing while stressing that the real performance lay elsewhere.

If he were running a restaurant it would be the equivalent of talking about how you had the swill buckets standing by for the folks that favored chowing down, although of course fine dining was available for the discerning.