Japan disaster hasn't 'meaningfully impacted' Apple's iPad 2 supply

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Despite initial concerns that the earthquake in Japan might result in a shortage of components for devices like Apple's iPad 2, a new report says the impact so far has only been "modest" at worst.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said in a note to investors on Friday that he believes demand for the iPad 2 will continue to outstrip supply into the June 2011 quarter. He said the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan will play a part in limited supplies, but not one as great as was originally feared.

"Apple recently reduced US iPad 2 lead times, which suggests the situation in Japan has not meaningfully impacted iPad 2 supply," Munster wrote. "We believe the most critical suppliers are back up and running following the earthquake and the impact to supply will be modest."

Munster said that both iPad 2 and iPhone 4 supply could be impacted with delays of one to two weeks. That's more optimistic than some earlier takes on the situation, like one that suggested the Japan disaster could leave Apple with a shortage of five key components of the iPad 2.

Just last week, Munster reported that the production status from Apple's Japanese component suppliers was changing hour by hour. But at the time, none of Apple's partners could quantify the damage at their facilities.

Though Apple has experienced crushing demand for the iPad 2 in the U.S. since its launch earlier this month, the company this week improved shipping time estimates to between three and four weeks, suggesting supply is catching up with demand. The change came as Apple begins selling the iPad 2 in 25 countries around the world at 5 p.m. local time today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    25,000 killed or missing. Radioactivity in the water at 10,000x's normal levels. But Apple's bottom line is unscathed - that put pep in my step for the day.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Kind of ironic that iPad2 parts are coming from Japan despite the earthquake, but they won't be able to buy iPad2's.....because of the earthquake.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    coraxcorax Posts: 47member
    Then why is it that a Premium Reseller in Germany hasn't got any iPads today???
  • Reply 4 of 47
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

25,000 killed or missing. Radioactivity in the water at 10,000x's normal levels. But Apple's bottom line is unscathed - that put pep in my step for the day.

It should. Japan is going to have to keep their industry flowing if they want to rebuild their infrastructure and their citizen's lives.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:

• Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It should. Japan is going to have to keep their industry flowing if they want to rebuild their infrastructure and their citizen's lives.

Somehow this reply makes me think of G.W. Bush telling us all to go out and shop for more crap to save ourselves from financial meltdown. Ugh. Please tell me that's not what you mean...
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Then why there's a 2/3 weeks delivery time on the iPad2 when ordered 2 minutes after launch this morning at 1:00AM?
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Somehow this reply makes me think of G.W. Bush telling us all to go out and shop for more crap to save ourselves from financial meltdown. Ugh. Please tell me that's not what you mean...

Really??! That's what you got from his reply?

How about the idea that any impact from the earthquake would have been in the form of factory shutdowns that would have caused parts shortages for various electronics manufacturers... and therefore a minimal impact to Apple most likely means that those factories are still able to continue running... therefore keeping $$$ flowing and jobs in place.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really??! That's what you got from his reply?

How about the idea that any impact from the earthquake would have been in the form of factory shutdowns that would have caused parts shortages for various electronics manufacturers... and therefore a minimal impact to Apple most likely means that those factories are still able to continue running... therefore keeping $$$ flowing and jobs in place.

+1

And that's a fact!
  • Reply 10 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Then why is it that a Premium Reseller in Germany hasn't got any iPads today???

No need to be coy, Roy. Name the system... uh, I mean, name the "premium reseller".
  • Reply 11 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,256member
    I would just like to send out a big "thank you" to all the dumb a$$es that dumped Apple shares. You gave me an unexpected chance to pick up some more AAPL at a discount price.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,256member
    Quote:

Oh thank you, morally superior one, for showing us the way

Here's the thing -- the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear accident in Japan are an immense tragedy. Other than a handful of d-bags, I don't think that anyone questions that. But just as life had to go on after 9-11, so too must life go on now. If, in October of 2001, someone had suggested going into NYC for a broadway play without failing to first spend 15 minutes lamenting the tragedy of 9-11, would that make them a bad person?

There is tragedy, death, and destruction every day of the year in every country on this planet. If we all had to lament these things every time we bring up a topic that is related, we'd never get anything done.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Oh thank you, morally superior one, for showing us the way

Here's the thing -- the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear accident in Japan are an immense tragedy. Other than a handful of d-bags, I don't think that anyone questions that. But just as life had to go on after 9-11, so too must life go on now. If, in October of 2001, someone had suggested going into NYC for a broadway play without failing to first spend 15 minutes lamenting the tragedy of 9-11, would that make them a bad person?

There is tragedy, death, and destruction every day of the year in every country on this planet. If we all had to lament these things every time we bring up a topic that is related, we'd never get anything done.

Blastdoor is right. Is Munster supposed to drop Apple coverage because of what happened in Japan? Or is AI supposed to censor it? Or are we supposed to not read it and ignore our investment in aapl? Does Freethinker know where the line is for all of us?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    That Gene Muster reverses himself so soon (as he did by the way) in his estimates of the sales of the original iPad getting his final estimate fall flat by 50%***) -- only proves how shaliow his analysis is. If I were the head of Piper Jaffrey, I would be very embarassed with his highly erratic analysis. Even his quarterly analysis are subpar many of the times.

And, if I am not mistaken it is the same Neil Hughes who simply regurgitates Munster's "analyses" without even much of a question whether the analysis has any substance or not.

To point out that this week's analysis is different from last week is almost ridiculous. Of course, they are different. Does it require anyone to be told that? Maybe some Apple Insider readers????

And, Apple Insider keeps on letting Hughes\\ be one of their freelancers using a byline.

CGC

***The irony of the original iPad all over the place predictions of Gene Munster was that if he stuck with one of his "older predictions", he would have nailed it as Steve Jobs reported.

1. "Gene Munster predicted that there will be no significant lines for the iPad2 opening because...."

2. "Gene Munster predicted that Apple would sell 45 million iPhones in 2009 (with a long list of factors leading to that number"

3. "Gene Munster predicted that Apple would release a mini-iPhone...." (several times already.

4. "Gene Munster predicted that Apple would reduce the price of the MacBook to $800..." (several times too)

If memory serves me, he also predicted, based from his careful analysis that the original iPad would sell in the range of $500-700 and that it would sell a couple of millions during the first year.

If one does a thorough search, maybe one would find that his incorrect predictions may be a longer list that his years as an analyst. In quarterly reports, he would be more often be at the lower tier (of course with the guessing game, one can always guess correctly as predicted by the principles of statistics.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

That would make more sense than going and kicking around soccer balls in the slums.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warnaud View Post

Then why there's a 2/3 weeks delivery time on the iPad2 when ordered 2 minutes after launch this morning at 1:00AM?

That's because the iPad2 is a sizzling hot product and very much in demand, earthquake or no earthquake, tsunami or no tsunami.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Blastdoor is right. Is Munster supposed to drop Apple coverage because of what happened in Japan? Or is AI supposed to censor it? Or are we supposed to not read it and ignore our investment in aapl? Does Freethinker know where the line is for all of us?

Classic humanism. We each choose our own ethics, and we must be as equally 'right' as everyone else. "Don't imply I'm a bad person."

There's hope for a few folks on this forum yet. Even the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day...
  • Reply 18 of 47
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's because the iPad2 is a sizzling hot product and very much in demand, earthquake or no earthquake, tsunami or no tsunami.

As tragic as it is in Japan, I doubt that it became a 24X7 media event frenzy elsewhere as it did in US. Something else will happen and Japan will be relegated to the occasional update like Haiti. Even Libya fell nearly fell out of the news coverage until the no fly zone event.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

As tragic as it is in Japan, I doubt that it became a 24X7 media event frenzy elsewhere as it did in US. Something else will happen and Japan will be relegated to the occasional update like Haiti. Even Libya fell nearly fell out of the news coverage until the no fly zone event.

Just curious... why would you doubt that other countries are/were also covering the situation in Japan 24/7?

[ more on topic... a little over 60 people lined up in downtown Vancouver for the iPad2 ]
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Should my new iPad 2 be glowing after I turn it off?