Apple releases iOS 4.3.1 with minor fixes for cell networks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released iOS 4.3.1, a minor security and maintenance update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, addressing issues related to connecting to some cellular networks, among other issues.

The udpate is available for the GSM iPhone 4, but no update has been made for the CDMA iPhone 4. That device is still on iOS version 4.2.6, released in January.

The iOS 4.3.1 update is also available for the iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. According to Apple, the update includes:

Fixes an occasional graphics glitch on iPod touch (4th generation)

Resolves bugs related to activating and connecting to some cellular networks

Fixes image flicker when using Apple Digital AV Adapter with some TVs

Resolves an issue authenticating with some enterprise web services

This week, it was rumored that Apple would issue iOS 4.3.1 within two weeks, making Friday's release somewhat unexpected. The accompanying notes make no mention of battery issues reported by some users of iOS 4.3, nor does it say whether a security hole exposed at a recent hacker conference has been patched.

News of iOS 4.3.1 came earlier this month via the Pwn2Own hacking contest, when security researcher Charlie Miller revealed that Apple has a fix in the works for a flaw in its Safari mobile Web browser. Miller exposed the flaw at the contest, and privately shared the exploit with Apple to help the company patch its software.

Also Friday, Apple released Xcode 4.0.1, also a minor update. Changes to the software, according to Apple, include:

Improved Assistant editor logic when switching among different file types

Fixed a bug in "Install Xcode.app" that hangs at 99% complete, never finishing

Fixed a bug that prevented indexing of some projects

Fixed a bug related to nil settings in the Core Data model editor

Fixed a bug that prevented automatic download of iOS documentation

Fixed a bug in LLVM GCC 4.2 and LLVM compiler 2.0 for iOS projects

Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Whatever. not updating
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Cool. Updating now.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    As for battery issues with iOS 4.3, I found the advice to turn off Ping service, and my iPhone 4 seems better for last several days:

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971309
  • Reply 4 of 47
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    I've been having wifi issues on my 3GS, with nothing else changing but the upgrade to 4.3 on multiple wifi networks.

Its like the 3gs doesn't see wifi networks (or doesn't see more than one in a multi wifi network environment), and then maybe it will see one briefly, then maybe it'll connect or maybe it won't, then once it is connected its a weak signal (2 bars max) even if its in the same room as the router (usually Airport Extremes or my Time Capsule, but any wifi network really). Then after a while the connection will cease to work, but still shows as connected, so I have to switch off the wifi. This is while my mbp is connected and works fine the whole time. Frustrating. Everything else is constant in all these locations and has worked flawlessly for over a year.

Can't wait to get home and see if this gets fixed, I sure hope its not the hardware, because that would suck.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fixes an occasional graphics glitch on iPod touch (4th generation)

Does that mean it will fix the notification graphics glitch (blinky boxes and distortion)? I have to wait till I get home to try it out.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    Anyone have an idea "some cellular networks" refers to? Specific carriers? Specific towers? Specific protocols?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I've been having wifi issues on my [iPhone on] wifi networks.

I'm glad to hear you mention this, as I thought I was having some WiFi issues related to my Time Capsule. I've noticed some reduced WiFi bars on my iPhone 4 as you've described as well, though the signal never fully dropped out. I'll see if this update fixes it.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I'm glad to hear you mention this, as I thought I was having some WiFi issues related to my Time Capsule. I've noticed some reduced WiFi bars on my iPhone 4 as you've described as well, though the signal never fully dropped out. I'll see if this update fixes it.

I'm not alone!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    That's great but why is able holding out on CDMA iPhone users.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Whatever. not updating

Who f$&@(?g cares about your comment YAWN.

For some it's important fandroid
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I have 3GS and initially Internet speeds were blazing fast. Then went back to tortoise like speeds especially in the afternoon, morning was fine always. It can't be the phone as slow down in speeds during different times of the day doesn't make sense unless it's network related. What do you think?

Plus when I click on a site it sits there churning away and if I magically click again, most times it loads the page, although slowly.

I hope this update fixes some of my issues, as for the carrier 3 here in Melbourne Australia, may they rot in hell if this is any of their doing.

PS yes I turned off and on, rebooted the usual stuff no difference with issues on most afternoons. So frustrating
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Who f$&@(?g cares about your comment YAWN.

For some it's important fandroid

I wouldn't worry so much about him, he's still using old crappy video technology.

Super 8? Super blocky with super poor colour more like.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krisarmstrong View Post

That's great but why is able holding out on CDMA iPhone users.

Because our version of iOS is already AWESOME.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Does anybody activated and tested multitasking gestures on IOS 4.3.1 ?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I wouldn't worry so much about him, he's still using old crappy video technology.

Super 8? Super blocky with super poor colour more like.

Perhaps its a yawn because updating is so easy, its almost more work not to do it! I mean, click download & install button, get coffee, done. :-)
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugalx View Post

Does anybody activated and tested multitasking gestures on IOS 4.3.1 ?

No multi-tasking gestures yet, but I doubt they will get there until iOS 5...
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

No multi-tasking gestures yet, but I doubt they will get there until iOS 5...

Right, but can we activate them using Xcode in 4.3.1 as in 4.3 ?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider;

This week, it was rumored that Apple would issue iOS 4.3.1 within two weeks, making Friday's release somewhat unexpected.

If it was expected within two weeks and was released within two weeks, how was it "unexpected"?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugalx View Post

Right, but can we activate them using Xcode in 4.3.1 as in 4.3 ?

Yes you can.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Upgrade is done for me. I'm hoping there is something to improve the battery life. I can't say I've done a scientific test, but 4.3 sure seemed to be worse than previous, in that I'd never before experienced the phone having to switch itself off at the end of the day, but the past few days it has.