ITC rules Apple did not infringe five Nokia patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In the latest round of patent battles in the smartphone arena, an International Trade Commission judge has ruled that Apple did not infringe five patents belonging to Nokia.

A report by Reuters noted that ITC Judge James Gildea has ruled "in his initial determination that Apple did not violate the Nokia patents."

Nokia's charges were filed in December of 2009, and broadly applied to iPhones, iPods and Macs, including user interface, camera, antenna and power management technologies.

Last winter, the ITC began formally investigating the charges, which Nokia sought a billion euros ($1.415 billion) in damages and could have resulted in an import ban of Apple products into the US.

Apple brought its own counterclaims against Nokia based on 13 patents of its own. In November, the ITC staff sided with Nokia in determining that Apple had not provided enough evidence to establish a patent violation.

While both companies have ongoing disputes with the ITC (due to its power to block imports into the US, offering heavy-handed bargaining leverage), there are often parallel cases filed in US district court aimed at winning financial damages as well as additional cases filed in Europe, the Reuters report stated.

Nokia has dramatically lost market share, giving up large portions of its once dominant Symbian platform installed base to Apple's iPhone and devices running Google's Android platform. The company has recently partnered with Microsoft to begin efforts to release new smartphones using Windows Phone 7 software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    WOW, maybe RIM is take over bait but for what......MS can use rim since rim has no room to grow, and not pay big $$$. MS 07 can get out to more people at low cost, and not require a buy out

Hmmmmmm RIM moves to the middle and low tier phones
  • Reply 2 of 44
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ok, now that that's over with, we can continue to watch Nokia's downward spiral.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok, now that that's over with, we can continue to watch Nokia's downward spiral.

And continue to short it
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

WOW, maybe RIM is take over bait but for what......MS can use rim since rim has no room to grow, and not pay big $$$. MS 07 can get out to more people at low cost, and not require a buy out

Hmmmmmm RIM moves to the middle and low tier phones

Wait, what?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

Wait, what?

In an alternate universe RIM is actually Nokia... and vice versa... his transporter is on the blink and it was hard to tell which dimension he had entered...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Ouch.

Another step in the steady descent into obscurity of a once-great company.....
  • Reply 7 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Remember the posters that said that Nokia wouldn't sue unless they were sure? I do.

Anyway, while RiM and Nokia are circling the drain RiM is much closer to going under than Nokia, even if RiM is making more money per quarter for awhile. My reasoning is that RiM is more like Neanderthal. They were once the dominate hunters but became too specialized and didn't evolve fast enough to deal with the rapid changes to their environment. An evolutionary dead end.

Nokia, on the other hand, sells mostly simple, cheap phones. These are the bottom feeders of the handset kingdom. The scavengers. They may not be powerful or desirable in a one-on-one comparison to Blackberrius Neandercallus or Homo iPhoneus, but they survive in vast numbers in habitats that most of us dare not tread.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    But.. but.. but I though Nokia is the mother of all cell phones and you can't build a phone without using their tech and patents!
  • Reply 9 of 44
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Exactly.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In an alternate universe RIM is actually Nokia... and vice versa... his transporter is on the blink and it was hard to tell which dimension he had entered...

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't understand his comment either.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I still hope they continue to produce sturdy rubber boots. Thats were they used to be really good at.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I still hope they continue to produce sturdy rubber boots. Thats were they used to be really good at.

Awe, let's give Nokia a little credit. They still sell more phones than anyone in the world. By itself that wouldn't mean much, but they are still generating a strong profits from it (even if it's less than before) and their cheap commodity phones are good as basic cellphones. Dell would be the opposite of that as they lost about as much as much in profits as Nokia made in 2010* and their cheap PCs don't work as well (or better) than expensive PCs for doing basic PC-stuff.

* According to Wikipedia, Dell lost $1.4 Billion in net income whilst Nokia made $2.6 Billion.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember the posters that said that Nokia wouldn't sue unless they were sure? I do.

Now, Mister Solipsism, you are allowed to despise other posters, but it is considered good manners to talk about posters as if they were HUMANS. "Posters WHO said". Not robots THAT say stuff.

And, yes, I'm annoying, it's my mission in life
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Now, Mister Solipsism, you are allowed to despise other posters, but it is considered good manners to talk about posters as if they were HUMANS. "Posters WHO said". Not robots THAT say stuff.

And, yes, I'm annoying, it's my mission in life

You'd have a point if my username wasn't solipsism. How do I know there are other people, not savvy programs, responding on these forums? I can't even know for sure if you exist. If you give me your SSN, CC number, mother's maiden I'll consider that proof of life.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Anyway, while RiM and Nokia are circling the drain RiM is much closer to going under than Nokia, even if RiM is making more money per quarter for awhile. My reasoning is that RiM is more like Neanderthal. They were once the dominate hunters but became too specialized and didn't evolve fast enough for the rapid changes that came. An evolutionary dead end.

Nokia, on the other hand, sells mostly simple, cheap phones. These are the bottom feeders of the handset kingdom. The scavengers. They may not be powerful or desirable in a one-on-one comparison Blackberrius Neandercallus or Homo iPhoneus, but they survive in numbers in habits that most of us dare tread.

Brilliant as always...
  • Reply 17 of 44
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:

effing hilarious...

• Reply 18 of 44
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Nokia will continue to dwindle and eventually be bought-up by Dell.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    : Ah, Ah!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Nokia will continue to dwindle and eventually be bought-up by Dell.

No, Microsoft.