Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims

Comments

• Reply 61 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yer welcome

Under uncertainty?

OT everyone.. Sorry.

OT again, but under-uncertainty = high risk, high return, or you may end up wasting an year or two of your life.

And the reason I waited for a month to post was, this place is great for Kool-aid flavored popcorns, as much as I love them.
  • Reply 62 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's the deal behind the "thinnest tablet" claim?

It's their claim, that's a big deal for their delusional mind..
  • Reply 63 of 188
    recrec Posts: 217member
    As I said in my previous post, until it actually ships (in bulk, not a paper launch) nothing they say or claim matters. God its good to be right.
  • Reply 64 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

OT again, but under-uncertainty = high risk, high return, or you may end up wasting an year or two of your life.

And the reason I waited for a month to post was, this place is great for Kool-aid flavored popcorns, as much as I love them.

OT once more, a year or two that I can live with as long as not more than that..

Harhar.. me too, it's kinda like love-hate relationship here in AI forum.
  • Reply 65 of 188
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Apple should do a commercial based on the new iPhone ads. Only this should be about the competition....

If you don't have a Samsung Galaxy Tab... If you don't have a RIM Playbook... if you don't have a Microsoft Courier or an HP Touchpad... if you don't have a brand "X" tablet ad nauseam... It's because it not yet available.

If you don't have an iPad. You DON'T have an iPad!... But don't worry, the competition's photocopiers are humming away!
  • Reply 66 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Harhar.. me too, it's kinda like love-hate relationship here in AI forum.

Let me put it bluntly. I did not really cared much about Apple news, until a few months back. Though I almost worship SJ. In fact, I only started using Mac 3 years back, earlier I grew up in a part of the world where there are almost no Macs, stores or support.

Then I got interested in Apple news, partly out of some lethargy in an upcoming project. And visited/ RSSed many Mac sites. Though fun initially, the level of conversation and content on them (bar Gruber et. al) was plain silly and corny. People not knowing what they talk about, acting sentimental at trivial stuff. They are the real fanboys. And to top that, I found many so called journalists/ bloggers writing pro-Apple crap on one site, and anti on another. One extreme example is a certain blogger who writes an almost anti-Apple blog on Fortune, and posts pro-Apple stuff on 9to5mac. Wow man, just wow.

AI looks like a lot better to me. It seems genuine, and at least some people seem to understand technology, strategy, art or recursion.
  • Reply 67 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Shame on you Samsung. If you can't compete fairly burt out of the Tablet race.

They are not evil...just scared...and caught off guard and embarrassed.Desperate times call for desperate measures...and responses.Put yourself in the same position ...if someone asks if it was you that farted...what do you say ? Does it Change the facts...? Does it hurt Apple ? No...not in the end...just a temporary change of face for Samsung...this has been very embarrassing for quite a few corporate types...good show Apple-the truth is always in the pudding...eventually.
  • Reply 68 of 188
    I know..."proof is in the pudding"- it's late...and Friday Nite-just don't call me a dummy-thanks !
  • Reply 69 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normanq View Post

They are not evil...just scared...and caught off guard and embarrassed.Desperate times call for desperate measures...and responses.Put yourself in the same position ...if someone asks if it was you that farted...what do you say ? Does it Change the facts...? Does it hurt Apple ? No...not in the end...just a temporary change of face for Samsung...this has been very embarrassing for quite a few corporate types...good show Apple-the truth is always in the pudding...eventually.

From a broad view, I think its for the first time in almost all of corporate tech history I know of, when a big company is neither run by corporate type bean counters, or obsessive nerds, who think all things can be measured statistically, and there is no room for intuition or good design or minimalism. I think many companies did not start that way, but quickly became that.

Apple is the only big company which understands people, and has the vision, courage and agility to care. And as SJ put it last year, its world's biggest startup. And that is a very big deal. I expect a lot of people to get embarrassed in the coming years.
  • Reply 70 of 188
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Where's DaHarder when Samsung needs him the most???

Oh yeah he ditched Samsung for Xoom recently
  • Reply 71 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

From a broad view, I think its for the first time in almost all of corporate tech history I know of, when a big company is neither run by corporate type bean counters, or obsessive nerds, who think all things can be measured statistically, and there is no room for intuition or good design or minimalism. I think many companies did not start that way, but quickly became that.

Apple is the only big company which understands people, and has the vision, courage and agility to care. And as SJ put it last year, its world's biggest startup. And that is a very big deal. I expect a lot of people to get embarrassed in the coming years.

Exactly !--you nailed it ...Please read my response to the intro of the Apple TV commentary -that sums it up for the corporate legacy fear and hate...and let me know what you think of my suggested social (some will say business ) beautiful chess move for Mr. Steve Jobs...for all of us wanting to change the "game"

TKS !
  • Reply 72 of 188
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    First up Apple isn't bi****** about this.

Secondly, there was never any mention of the software that represented those folks.

What a fail. Not to mention one of the products doesn't even work.
  • Reply 73 of 188
    As bizarre as the commercial is, what slays me is the press announcement.

I'm trying to imagine Steve Jobs getting up at the iPad 2 event, waving around a non-functioning tablet, effectively saying: "This is the thinner box we intend to try to cram an iPad into. In 3 months or so. If we can. But isn't it great? I can't turn it on...yet...but the "competition" is on the run!" How would the tech press have reacted to that? But Samsung does just exactly that and they eat it up with a spoon!

Who has that Reality Distortion Field? again?
  • Reply 74 of 188
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.

I guess lately samsung is sitting inside it's own RDF.
  • Reply 75 of 188
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    ^^ good point on the rdf, mac-sochist.

Quote:

But Samsung? I wonder if it has something to do with making relatively anonymous products-- people tend not to have a personal relationship with their televisions or DVD players. You just do the engineering, hire an ad agency, and there you go.

But now they find themselves all caught up in the mobile market, and they can tell from Apple's success that they're supposed to have some kind of vision that relates to "what people want." And as a company that's not really their thing, so they're laying on the dancers and synergy and building the future stuff, except it's all tone deaf and off-putting and wrong.

addabox, I think your distinction between "anonymous" and personal products hits the mark here.

Approached the right way, there's no reason why a non-Apple tablet can't succeed. But as you said, at present there is no vision from Apple's competitors - they're simply rushing to get something into the market and are just throwing a whole lot of spin out there hoping something will stick.

I wonder if HP/Palm will do any better than Samsung and Moto, as my impression OS-wise at least is that they are the nearest to providing a competitive user experience.
  • Reply 76 of 188
    ieduiedu Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TC93 View Post

Yeah right. Also are you blind, and can't see the photo here of the two posted side by side?

And how is it you were so lucky to get a working version of it? According to Samsung its non working.

You are so damn Right!
  • Reply 77 of 188
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm starting to think the runaway success of Android on handsets has been masking some fundamental inability to execute on the part of all the plausible rivals.

Actually, the success of Android is prima-fascia evidence of an inability to execute. Rather than developing something really great, they just ship free software they downloaded from the internet (Android) and call it a product...total lack of execution.
  • Reply 78 of 188
    helmuthelmut Posts: 12member
    what I don't understand is why they wouldn't get a haircut or wear suits that fit...

zombies on stage... i can't really believe it. they look like they have been gambling all night in a poker room or something.
  • Reply 79 of 188
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Here's what I don't get (along with the stuff I've already stated that I'm bewildered by):

Samsung can't have very big margins on these things, right? And they sell a LOT of other products. I mean, hell, I have a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung Blu-Ray. And that's not even delving into all the chips, etc., that they produce.

Even if they got this thing out in June, and even if it were mildly successful, it just couldn't mean much to their bottom line, could it? Or am I missing something, or are some of my assumptions wrong?

Because if not, then I don't get the rush to drive this thing home in such a slip-shod manner. You're already a mega-business, involved in diverse product production. Why not wait and do your best, and try and sell the thing on its merits, and not some ludicrous BS?
  • Reply 80 of 188
    helmuthelmut Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Here's what I don't get (along with the stuff I've already stated that I'm bewildered by):

Samsung can't have very big margins on these things, right? And they sell a LOT of other products. I mean, hell, I have a Samsung HDTV and a Samsung Blu-Ray. And that's not even delving into all the chips, etc., that they produce.

Even if they got this thing out in June, and even if it were mildly successful, it just couldn't mean much to their bottom line, could it? Or am I missing something, or are some of my assumptions wrong?

Because if not, then I don't get the rush to drive this thing home in such a slip-shod manner. You're already a mega-business, involved in diverse product production. Why not wait and do your best, and try and sell the thing on its merits, and not some ludicrous BS?

i think its a religious thing... the samsung ceo seems to talk about the tv as a religion... and its the center of life, etc. so the tablet is kind of a mini-tv of sorts for them. sick, really.