Apple 2011 WWDC tracks reflect emphasis on Mac and iOS gaming

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since 1983, Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference has evolved to fit the needs of the company's third party developers. This year, the event's tracks specifically highlight Mac and iOS gaming for the first time.

The technology tracks for WWDC 2011 are nearly identical to last years', apart from the fact that "Graphics & Media" is now titled "Graphics, Media, and Games." Other tracks target Application Frameworks, Internet & Web, Developer Tools, and Core OS.

While last year's Graphics & Media track included lots of material for game developers, ranging from Game Center to OpenGL ES optimizations, this year's track now gives gaming prominent billing, and not just for iOS.

"iOS and Mac OS X deliver an amazing lineup of technologies for developing cutting-edge games, innovative graphical applications, and platform-optimized audio and video experiences," Apple's WWDC overview page states.

"See how your apps can harness a layered set of graphics frameworks to create accelerated 3D rendering, rich 2D drawing, dynamic animations, and image effects. Dive deep into the powerful capabilities of OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and OpenCL, and gain insights into the expert techniques and profiling tools used to attain maximum performance.

"Understand how AV Foundation provides a modern interface for working with time-based audiovisual media and find a range of sessions on building innovative applications for capturing, editing, and streaming media. Learn how technologies like Game Center can dramatically enhance the gameplay experience of your iOS titles and find out how the best games take full advantage of the platform."

WWDC Evolution

The past WWDC events have rapidly expanded Apple's focus on gaming, starting with the iOS SDK launch in 2008, which received much of its initial inertia from iPhone games and titles that carried and eventually defined the iPod touch, which Apple now advertises almost exclusively as a handheld gaming device.

Just four years ago, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs told developers at WWDC 2007 that the company expected them to deliver web apps for the new iPhone rather than native titles built using a Cocoa SDK (which he denied at the time having any intent to ever deliver), a strategy similar to HP's webOS, RIM's web-based PlayBook, Google's Chrome OS and its focus on web-oriented Android development.

The launch of a native "Cocoa Touch" iPhone SDK in 2008 resulted in three tracks at that year's WWDC: iPhone, Mac, and IT, a track aimed at organizations deploying Mac servers and managing networks of Macs. As the iPhone OS expanded to become iOS with both the iPod touch and iPad, it has not only taken a larger role at WWDC but has largely crowded out Apple's stagnant server business. The IT track has since been discontinued.

While some have predicted that Apple would eventually leave Mac OS X behind to focus on iOS, the company has instead worked to continually share technologies between the two products, which share the same Core OS, many major APIs and the same Xcode development tools.

Melding iOS and Mac development, App Stores and Design Awards

Rather than continuing to address iOS and Mac developers as separate groups, Apple now includes tracks that include information of interest to both, ranging from Application Frameworks to Core OS to Internet and Web and Development Tools.

Last fall, Apple introduced Mac OS X Lion at an event entitled "Back to the Mac," which described a variety of iOS features and concepts that would be making an appearance in the next version of the company's desktop and notebook operating system, including full screen apps, multitouch gestures, autosaved documents, and the new Mac App Store that Apple rushed to open within 90 days of announcing it.

Apple has quickly focused on the iOS and Mac App Stores as the way to distribute third party software for its products, making WWDC 2011's Apple Design Awards exclusive to titles available from the company's App Stores. Last year, Apple limited its awards to iOS titles, announcing top iPad and iPhone apps without any consideration of Mac titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I really hope there will be some true integration with Apple tv, it can be such a hit to play games.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    So I guess we'll have to wait till June to see if there's an iWork 11.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I really hope there will be some true integration with Apple tv, it can be such a hit to play games.

How long before the iPhone, iPod and ATV get the A5 and the new '9 x faster' gpu chip?

It would be great to have an ATV app store along with the iPod and iPhone. If they all run on the A5 sooner or later...they're essentially the same thing?

A game you have on your iPad is on your ATV. The iPod becomes the wireless controller for the ATV?

The ATV could be a neat little console in that context with the power of a PSII/Wii. And many people have found their graphical capabilities more than acceptable. A few hundred million can't be wrong. With a gyroscope controller, the monster app store and A5 capabilities...the ATV can more than rival the Wii, at least until the iPad can do wireless gaming to a hi def TV...which (latency restricting?) could be a while...

I'm waiting for the ATV to get the expanded app and gpu treatment the iPad, iPhone and iPod have.

Surely, a matter of time. Apple have even giving 'Games' a top billing in one of their WWDC development tracks..?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ...and the ATV is dirt cheap for an Apple product.

That an an iPod and you can a nice casual gaming set up to rival the Wii or a 'still played' PS2. With the value added Apple eco system, compelling choice!

Then there's the iPad 2 where games aren't even built from the ground up for it yet. But the initial results of quick optimisations show much promise.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    The ATV, iPod, iPad, iPhone love 'triangle' is going to make interesting viewing over the next couple of years.

I just see a juggernaut that is going to stream roller traditional notions of electronics, gadjets and media integration.

Exciting times.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It still boggles my mind how central Apple has become to gaming, and vice versa!

In terms of person-hours played on a daily basis, I would guess that iOS has become the top gaming platform, reaching far beyond just ?gamers.? And Apple is running TV ads about games... strange times!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    This is really good news, but I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe with a renewed focus on gaming we'll start to see graphics card drivers that perform as well as their Windows counterparts and see games where the performance of OSX ports isn't 20-50% slower than the Windows version.

I think that Steam on OSX was a wake up call to Apple. Those guys actually know what they are doing and their games were way slower on the same hardware than they were on Windows. Even after Apple patched their drivers the games are still slower, though less so.

There are still too many game ports where the game is basically unplayable on OSX, yet plays perfectly well on the same hardware on Bootcamp (Assassins Creed 2 for example). Yes I know that this is probably a porting issue, but as long as it's a common occurrence it reflects badly on Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

How long before the iPhone, iPod and ATV get the A5 and the new '9 x faster' gpu chip?

It would be great to have an ATV app store along with the iPod and iPhone. If they all run on the A5 sooner or later...they're essentially the same thing?

A game you have on your iPad is on your ATV. The iPod becomes the wireless controller for the ATV?

The ATV could be a neat little console in that context with the power of a PSII/Wii. And many people have found their graphical capabilities more than acceptable. A few hundred million can't be wrong. With a gyroscope controller, the monster app store and A5 capabilities...the ATV can more than rival the Wii, at least until the iPad can do wireless gaming to a hi def TV...which (latency restricting?) could be a while...

I'm waiting for the ATV to get the expanded app and gpu treatment the iPad, iPhone and iPod have.

Surely, a matter of time. Apple have even giving 'Games' a top billing in one of their WWDC development tracks..?

Lemon Bon Bon.

I totally agree with you. In my opinion, as games consoles have become more and more powerful, and more and more realistic, they have become less and less fun!

The less powerful Wii had to make games entertaining, and not rely on kick-ass graphics. The ATV could do the same.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    OpenCL? Give me a break. There are ZERO worthwile OpenCL-Apps out there. All I've seen is an iTunes Plug-in.

When will we finally be able to encode h.264 using our GPUs on the Mac? WHEN?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I totally agree with you. In my opinion, as games consoles have become more and more powerful, and more and more realistic, they have become less and less fun!

The less powerful Wii had to make games entertaining, and not rely on kick-ass graphics. The ATV could do the same.

I see no reason Apple shouldn't produce a higher spec ATV marketed for gaming. The performance must be crushing to make a dent in the opinion market. Casual gaming is nice, but if you want widespread adoption of the media kit you have to sway the culture. Hard to justify if the third-party market isn't there yet, but I think it's a good vision. Hollywood and Big Gaming are waiting for Apple to take the investment power of their industries seriously. Consumer content will come when Apple can handle it.

A lot of these dirty rock n roll kids i sometimes work with using gaming consoles for the brains of their home media kit. That's worth paying attention to.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The ATV, iPod, iPad, iPhone love 'triangle' is going to make interesting viewing over the next couple of years.

I just see a juggernaut that is going to stream roller traditional notions of electronics, gadjets and media integration.

Exciting times.

Lemon Bon Bon.

bingo

• Reply 12 of 16
    Dang! Already sold out before 5pm PT the same day!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Sorry, but that is just retarded.
  • Reply 14 of 16

For those interested, here is a link to the main pivot page of the source information about WWDC at Apple's site -- unfiltered, and unencumbered with links to other opinions/articles, by this author.

• Reply 15 of 16
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Sorry, but that is just retarded.

I'm sure you're right. After all, the Wii sold fuck all units, and nobody uses the iPhone to play games.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtreible View Post

So I guess we'll have to wait till June to see if there's an iWork 11.

At this rate, it might be called iWork'12