Apple Retail planning Jerusalem store, SoHo expansion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple is looking to build a giant retail store in Jerusalem, while evidence continues to mount that the company is planning a retail expansion to its SoHo store in New York.

Jerusalem store

Apple is currently in negotiations with Israeli real-estate giant Bet Yair for a 5,000-square-meter retail location, as reported by The Jerusalem Post.

According to the report, the facility will hold "the world's first Apple Digital Library," though details of what that would actually entail remain sparse.

"The directors of Apple in Israel recently toured the site and reportedly said they wanted to bring the country?s largest Apple store to Jerusalem for symbolic reasons," the report noted.

People familiar with the matter told The Jerusalem Post that Apple is looking to the western entrance of the city for the store's location. City planners expect the western edge to become the high-tech economic center of Jersualem.

SoHo expansion

Apple's name appeared on a lease last month for a 5,000-square-foot retail space formerly occupied by the U.S. Postal Service in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City, a tipster has told ifoAppleStore.

In addition, building permits for demolition work in the basement of the SoHo Apple store have been issued and core samples are being drilled from the ground in front of the store.

The extra space would bring the SoHo store, which is situated in a historic USPS building, more inline with other larger Apple stores in the city.

The USPS vacated the "Station A" main building in 2001, but kept a smaller post office around the corner on Greene Street. That post office, however, closed in 2009.

Because of the historic nature of the building, Apple forwent its iconic glass storefront in favor of a small black metal Apple logo hanging from the building. The location was also the first to feature Apple's trademark glass staircase.

The SoHo store has been the site of several small controversies for the company. In 2008, the SoHo Alliance organization sent a letter to the New York City borough's president complaining of excessive noise, large crowds and unlawful night construction. Late last year, a former employee of the store sued Apple with allegations that she had been discriminated against after a medical leave of absence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Yeah, that's pretty ballsy. How about an Apple Store inside the Vatican? Inside the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg? At the Amundsen-Scott Research Center at the South Pole?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, that's pretty ballsy. How about an Apple Store inside the Vatican? Inside the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg? At the Amundsen-Scott Research Center at the South Pole?

Umm there's an Apple Store at the Louvre already?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    "And the two Messiahs shall meet, not in time but in space, separated by millennia, but unified in the spirits of their followers..."
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

"And the two Messiahs shall meet, not in time but in space, separated by millennia, but unified in the spirits of their followers..."

Personally, I'm gonna follow the Book of Jobs.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah, but you're not supposed to have two POSTS that meet. That's a no-no. You'll be hearing from the mods. (Hey, not my rules. Far as I'm concerned, you can post any way you like.)
  • Reply 6 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Alternate title: 4th Religion Vies for Dominance in Jerusalem.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    How about an apple store in Baghdad then? Or maybe even Mogadishu? Funny rumors.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Why does Jesus need an iPad?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Any guesses on what the Apple digital library is. I know what I hope it is. A copy of every app on the app store, every book in iBooks, and every song, video, and movie in iTunes. That way if you want to sample something all you have to do is drive down to the Apple store to do it. I'm sure it is something much less than that, but one can dream.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Any guesses on what the Apple digital library is. I know what I hope it is. A copy of every app on the app store, every book in iBooks, and every song, video, and movie in iTunes. That way if you want to sample something all you have to do is drive down to the Apple store to do it. I'm sure it is something much less than that, but one can dream.

Maybe its just a kiosk with local access to Apple?s media content.

If Apple moves into more places with higher levels of travelers, like they tired to do with Grand Central Station, having a kiosk with a quick DL for your iDevice or Mac/PC with iTunes would be handy.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

World Administration
  • Reply 12 of 32
    [/QUOTE]

People familiar with the matter told The Jerusalem Post that Apple is looking to the western entrance of the city for the store's location. City planners expect the western edge to become the high-tech economic center of Jersualem.

[/QUOTE]

I realize its probably because a good portion of Palistinians are broke, but I'll go with it.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Perhaps the more appropriate question would be "Which iPad would Jesus buy?"
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Perhaps the more appropriate question would be "Which iPad would Jesus buy?"

Nice.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

I realize its probably because a good portion of Palistinians are broke, but I'll go with it.

The Israeli iPads will be made of Kevlar, I hear. And the Apple Store Geniuses will be called "Agents"
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Wonder if the store in Jerusalem will be built upon stolen Palestinian land? Sort of like how some Intel facilities are.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple will build a store where ever they can make money.That is the bottom line.Build one in the Philippines they are real fond of Apple there.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Wonder if the store in Jerusalem will be built upon stolen Palestinian land? Sort of like how some Intel facilities are.

Zing.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Yeah, but you're not supposed to have two POSTS that meet. That's a no-no. You'll be hearing from the mods. (Hey, not my rules. Far as I'm concerned, you can post any way you like.)

What is it with the mods and that ridiculous rule?

Does posting consecutively by replying individually to different comments waste space on their server ... No?

Does it take more space than multiple quotes ... no!

Does it keep separate discussions ... err ... separated so follow ups on one point don't get mushed up and confused by the multiple points ... Yes!

Oh and how about ten minutes go by and I leave and come back then reply to another post and no one has used the blog since my last one? Oh horror end of World ... I have two consecutive posts!

Sorry for rant, your comment ironically came minutes after I was banned from MacRumors (as a six year member) for ... consecutive posts! Grrrrr.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

If you are going to get historical, BE historical. All land in North American was stolen from from the original people of Turtle Island, all the land of New Zealand stolen from the Maoris, all of Australia from the (name please) 'aboriginal' people, all of modern Israel from the Palestinians, all of ancient Israel from the Canaanites, etc. Palestine itself got its name after the Peleset 'settled' there during the Sea Peoples' invasions at the end of the first millenium BCE. They were the Philistines so reviled by Israel during the first wars of occupation.

And the Aztecs and the Incas moved in on/conquered/suppressed earlier Maya and (name please) Andean civilizations. The Greeks destroyed the Pelasgian civilization, the Indo-Europeans did in the Old European and Harrapan/Indus River civilzations, 'modern' humans supplanted the Neanderthals.

The only solution is to just get along with everybody from now on, work with things as they are, change consciousness where you can, and do business around these constructive attitudes. This is the Apple Doctrine. It seems to have been the way the Pelasgians, perhaps later the Phoenicians, did things. Trade, not conquer. If you must migrate and colonize, develop those you move in on, don't oppress.