MBP Hi Res Antiglare Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't like glossy screens. Is the antiglare screen a mattee type? For those who have it, is it worth the extra $150?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Yes the anti-glare is a matte screen. They remove the glass (leaving the screen a bit less protected) and the panel itself is a matte appearance. I don't like that there's a $150 charge for it - did we ever get charged extra for the matte powerbooks? Clearly just trying to force people into their way of thinking and price-gouging people who don't.

The anti-glare model has the same quality just no reflections - I personally don't see why they don't make them all matte. You can get used to a glossy screen but every time something black shows up, the reflections show up clear as day and the glare from reflected light sources is not pleasant. I don't know if it's worth $150 but it's better.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "did we ever get charged extra for the matte powerbooks?"

No - but glossy was never an option back then.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Thats what I'm using right now. I vastly prefer to glossy, because I never have to worry about reflections and I just generally find the matte surface more appealing and engaging.

OTOH, I know a lot of people find the matte to be less vivid, with less saturated color and lower contrast.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    My old 17" PB is still going strong. Stuck on 10.5.8 but still ... anyways, I'm another in the matte camp.

I have an old 20" hooked up to my MP for colour work in PS.

Definitely matte for colour work - teh glosseh looks great but I find them really hard on the eyes at the end of the day.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    timmetimme Posts: 9member
    Thanks, Marvin
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Thats what I'm using right now. I vastly prefer to glossy, because I never have to worry about reflections and I just generally find the matte surface more appealing and engaging.

OTOH, I know a lot of people find the matte to be less vivid, with less saturated color and lower contrast.

Thanks, addabox
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

My old 17" PB is still going strong. Stuck on 10.5.8 but still ... anyways, I'm another in the matte camp.

I have an old 20" hooked up to my MP for colour work in PS.

Definitely matte for colour work - teh glosseh looks great but I find them really hard on the eyes at the end of the day.

One huge problem is that the matte screens simply aren't durable. I haven't ever seen a single matte screen on a laptop that isn't scratched and marked all to hell within a year.

It IS absolutely possible, and necessary for anyone serious about color accurate work, to adjust their lighting. A glossy screen under appropriate lighting conditions ABSOLUTELY produces better results than a matte screen under any lighting conditions.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    "I haven't ever seen a single matte screen on a laptop that isn't scratched and marked all to hell within a year."

hah - I could show you mine ! Still perfect. (It was bought to replace my old dualie 533 and served it's productive life as an editing station - so yea, it didn't get out and about much).

Point taken about the lighting and teh glossy tho' - and nope I won't be paying the extra to get matte when one these dies.

I just find glossy hard on the eyes after a day - maybe thats just me.

cheers
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One huge problem is that the matte screens simply aren't durable. I haven't ever seen a single matte screen on a laptop that isn't scratched and marked all to hell within a year.

That mostly depends on who's looking after it, also screen marks often only show up when the backlight is off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

A glossy screen under appropriate lighting conditions ABSOLUTELY produces better results than a matte screen under any lighting conditions.

Depends what you mean by better results. Here's a whitepaper from Eizo:

http://www.eizo.com/global/support/wp/pdf/wp_07-001.pdf

Glossy panel for watching videos/movies.

Matte panel for editing and productivity and for people who need productivity without distractions from reflections.

If your statement was true then all high-end monitors without question would be glossy. They're not. Why would companies risk selling such highly priced displays with an inferior design?

In Eizo's own tests and other manufacturers conducted in a dark room, they find little difference between glossy and matte - the light diffusion reduces perceptible saturation, which is better for print and colour accuracy. So to reword your statement:

A glossy screen under appropriate lighting conditions produces largely the same results as a matte screen and in any lighting conditions, the matte screen has no sharp reflections/glare.

Anyway, both types of Macbook Pro screen are poor quality so the best option is to forget the internal screen for anything important and get an external matte IPS display.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimMe View Post

I don't like glossy screens. Is the antiglare screen a mattee type? For those who have it, is it worth the extra $150?

glossy is glass

all TV screens are glass

glass reflects

water cleans glass nicely

matte looks dull when viewed side by side with glass

matee screens scratch so easy that staring at them too much can make a mark appear

matte screens are great for color reproduction .. not viewing the color on the screen but for print and and the such

for games and hulu and movies glossy is so sweet.

matte slowly darkens and has a shabby look after 18 months

ok

• Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

glossy is glass

all TV screens are glass

glass reflects

water cleans glass nicely

matte looks dull when viewed side by side with glass

matee screens scratch so easy that staring at them too much can make a mark appear

matte screens are great for color reproduction .. not viewing the color on the screen but for print and and the such

for games and hulu and movies glossy is so sweet.

matte slowly darkens and has a shabby look after 18 months

ok

Thanks, brucep and everyone

Very Helpful

TimMe
  • Reply 12 of 13
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimMe View Post

Thanks, brucep and everyone

Very Helpful

TimMe

you rock dude

peace

• Reply 13 of 13
    I've had my new MBP 15" with Hi-Res matte screen for almost a month and I am very happy I went with it. My previous laptop (Alienware/windows7) had a glossy screen and I hated all the reflection. I checked out the new Macs in a few stores but they all had glossy screens and they had the same problem. I can't stand looking at my head and reflection of room lights in the monitor when I am working and forget about working outside on a nice warm day on the back deck.

I felt I was taking somewhat of a gamble when I custom-ordered the hi-res display without being able to look at it anywhere first but I have to say the display is beautiful, bright and appears to be very high quality. The resolution is higher / finer and as a result can fit more on the desktop with sharper clarity.

My personal preference is the matte display and in my opinion it was well worth the extra $150.