Apple running out of remaining stock of discounted original iPads

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has run out of original 16GB Wi-Fi iPads as online stock of refurbished and clearance first-generation iPads runs low, even as its successor, the iPad 2, continues to sell out.

The Apple Online Store no longer offers the Wi-Fi only version of the original iPad in its clearance section and has run out of the first-generation 16GB Wi-Fi iPad in the refurbished section, as noted by MacNN.

All three of last year's 3G iPad models remain on sale in the clearance section, priced at $529, $629 and $729 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models respectively. The refurbished versions of the 32GB and 64GB Wi-Fi iPads sell for $429 and $529, while refurbished iPad 3Gs sell for $479, $559 and $659.

Shortly after unveiling the iPad 2, Apple began offering remaining stock of the original iPad for a discount. Unopened models of the iPad are on sale for a $100 discount, while refurbished models sell for as much as $170 off the original price.

Apple also offered either a $100 discount or a refund to customers who purchased the first-generation iPad within 14 days of the iPad 2 announcement on March 2.

Analysts project Apple will sell a total of 40 million iPads in 2011, including both the first- and second-generation models. Greater than expected demand for the iPad 2 has impressed Wall Street, causing at least one analyst to revise his sales forecast.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The first-gen iPads will still give the Motosung Galaxoomoid a run for its money. The best tablet of 2010 is still a winner.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    RAM is the number one reason to update to iPad 2. That and speed. The weight drop isn't significant enough to spend 500+ on, but it's nice to have it. The thinness is nice also.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    The weight drop itself isn't compelling enough, however combined with the Smart Cover design, it might be persuading. The original iPad in the kludgy Apple case is bulky; this case doesn't really function well as a stand.

The iPad 2's display is actually better. No additional resolution, but more contrast, wider viewing angles, superior oleophobic coating, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The weight drop itself isn't compelling enough, however combined with the Smart Cover design, it might be persuading. The original iPad in the kludgy Apple case is bulky; this case doesn't really function well as a stand.

The iPad 2's display is actually better. No additional resolution, but more contrast, wider viewing angles, superior oleophobic coating, etc.

I may be in the minority, but I really liked the original case. I'm on my second Apple iPad case.

When I can finally get an iPad2, I'll have a smart cover, but I'll also have to buy one of those zippered 'book' cases to carry it around. I bring it everywhere!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    does not have enough improvements to justify replacing my 1 Gen. 64 GB 3G. I do not see any "must have features" or "significant task not able to perfom" to buy a new one. At least I don't have to waste time waiting in the line in front of the Apple Store from 5 AM.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I may be in the minority, but I really liked the original case. I'm on my second Apple iPad case.

When I can finally get an iPad2, I'll have a smart cover, but I'll also have to buy one of those zippered 'book' cases to carry it around. I bring it everywhere!

I agree, I had the original iPad with the apple case and I liked it,but now that I have an iPad 2 with the smart cover I couldn't possibly go back it makes what I had before seem bulky and uncomfortable. I just put an invisible shield on the back for fear of it being scratched,I usually carry it in my hand or in my shoulder bag.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Apple follows tradition and cuts the old model of something when the new one comes out. And then runs out of the old one.

Well duh. this actually got a story. Really?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    very good!

Now they shall manufacture mode iPad2s and make them available already!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple follows tradition and cuts the old model of something when the new one comes out. And then runs out of the old one.

Err the point is soon there will be no iPads at all, 1st or 2nd gen. It has been well over a year since the iPad announcement. That is eons in the tech world. No real alternative so people that are sick of waiting for iPad 2 will be snapping up the iPad 1.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Actually, what surprised me with the iPad is that it DIDN'T follow tradition.

With the iPhone, iPod Touch, and in a round-about way the MacBook when they release a new model they maintain a single offering of the old model and sell it at a cheaper price.

Therefore, I was really surprised when they didn't keep the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad I and sell it for $399. I mean talk about putting serious pressure on the competition in pricing.

Than again, the prediction of selling 40 million iPads in 2011 is really dependant on their ability to produce 40 million iPads. And therefore, any production capacity taken up on producing more iPad Is is likely better used making iPad 2s.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Err the point is soon there will be no iPads at all, 1st or 2nd gen. It has been well over a year since the iPad announcement. That is eons in the tech world. No real alternative so people that are sick of waiting for iPad 2 will be snapping up the iPad 1.

From what I can tell that isn't true. Folks aren't snapping up the ipad 2 because they are sick of waiting. 99% of folks are happy to wait. But there's a small group that really don't need an ipad 2 so they have grabbed the last of the ipad 1 line up which stopped production of new units a good month if not more before the ipad 2 released so it was already limited.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

very good!

Now they shall manufacture mode iPad2s and make them available already!

They stopped making ipad 1s well before the ipad 2 came out. Same as with everything else. When they release new laptops they don't keep making the discounted ones, etc
  • Reply 12 of 17
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Yeah, Charlituna is right. I think most people are content to wait the 3 - 4 weeks to get a new iPad 2. If you look on eBay, the ones on there right now aren't selling at much of a premium. I saw a 16GB WiFi one sell last night for $520. So the demand is ebbing a bit, at least in terms of the willingness to overpay for one.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I put my 16GB 3G wifi up for sale on Craigs and haven't even had a single inquiry. I do like the original case since it protects the back as well as the front. I don't use the iPad very often so I guess I'll keep it unless you want to buy it. It is in absolutely pristine condition.

I make you good deal, just for you! Four hundred fitty dollar.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

RAM is the number one reason to update to iPad 2. That and speed. The weight drop isn't significant enough to spend 500+ on, but it's nice to have it. The thinness is nice also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

does not have enough improvements to justify replacing my 1 Gen. 64 GB 3G. I do not see any "must have features" or "significant task not able to perfom" to buy a new one. At least I don't have to waste time waiting in the line in front of the Apple Store from 5 AM.

I agree that the original iPad is still a great experience, but that extra horsepower (CPU, GPU, and RAM) is already a must have upgrade if you buy games. The screenshots for Infinity Blade and Real Racing 2 show significant improvement in detail. I can't wait to see it for myself, since some games look a little flat on my current iPad.

For non-gamers, the need to upgrade isn't so apparent yet, but I'm sure iOS devs will change that as we reach the latter part of 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    [QUOTE=charlituna;1840390]From what I can tell that isn't true. Folks aren't snapping up the ipad 2 because they are sick of waiting. 99% of folks are happy to wait. But there's a small group that really don't need an ipad 2 so they have grabbed the last of the ipad 1 line up which stopped production of new units a good month if not more before the ipad 2 released so it was already limited./QUOTE]

I was shopping for a lawnmower last week, went to a store that also has iPads, was taking a look they had one ex demo 16GB WiFi iPad for $250 with a dock and a case, snapped it up.

Could probably sell it for more on ebay, but I'll keep it.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

From what I can tell that isn't true. Folks aren't snapping up the ipad 2 because they are sick of waiting. 99% of folks are happy to wait. But there's a small group that really don't need an ipad 2 so they have grabbed the last of the ipad 1 line up which stopped production of new units a good month if not more before the ipad 2 released so it was already limited.

They stopped making ipad 1s well before the ipad 2 came out. Same as with everything else. When they release new laptops they don't keep making the discounted ones, etc

Actually I don't think *actual* production of iPad 1 has stopped. They still have to supply many countries where iPad 2 isn't launched yet. Given that iPad 2 interest is absolutely insane, I think Apple won't be winding down iPad 1 production that quickly. If for example Apple stopped production of iPad 1 at the end of March, that's about 3 million to 6 million units of iPad 1 they have to stockpile to supply non-iPad 2 countries for the 3 months for all these non-iPad 2 countries.

I'd say Apple's strategy is ramp up iPad 2 as fast as possible (obviously) but they will balance the ramping *down* of iPad 1 accordingly to be able to continue to sell iPads (be it iPad 1) in non-iPad 2 countries. Remember even the March 25th round of iPad 2 launch countries are totally dry, let alone the USA.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    If you want a first gen iPad really cheap, you could try Malibu Grand Prix . I've been trying but haven't gotten them yet. You may not want a netbook, but I've won two of them out of a different machine there.