Online US iPad 2 orders ship in 2-3 weeks as Apple's availability improves

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has once again improved estimated shipping times to two to three weeks for new iPad 2 orders through its online U.S. store, providing yet another sign that availability of the device continues to improve.

All versions of the iPad 2, in capacities from 16GB to 64GB and all wireless connectivity options, are now estimated to ship within two to three weeks. Purchases are still limited to two per order.

That's an improvement from the previous estimate of three to four weeks that Apple began advertising on March 24. Prior to that, new orders were estimated to ship in four to five weeks, leaving some buyers to potentially wait more than a month for their order to ship.

Overseas, new orders direct from Apple are also estimated to ship within two to three weeks. That's the same estimated wait that has been shown since the iPad 2 went on sale in 25 countries on March 25.

Apple has experienced crushing demand for the iPad 2 since it first went on sale in the U.S. in March. But Monday's updated shipping times are another sign that Apple is beginning to balance supply with demand for its second-generation tablet.

Lines for the iPad 2 have continued to form and Apple's overseas suppliers have worked to ramp up capacity to meet demand. Apple even expanded the retail availability of the iPad 2 late last month, offering it for sale at 500 RadioShack locations in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Mine still won't ship until Apr 21 and I ordered on Mar 24.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

Mine still won't ship until Apr 21 and I ordered on Mar 24.

At which point orders were 3-4 or perhaps even 4-5 weeks. The new orders and yours are likely coming from the same batch. A batch that isn't yet totally consumed by existing orders and will be ready in about two weeks.

According to my inside sources, the Apple staff are thrilled by yet another change. Not only does it reduce pissy responses by folks chasing stock but the company would let them order iPads until things are stabilized. Down to like shipping in 3-5 days for at least a solid week or so. And they can't buy at their stores unless demand is totally filled for the day (which never happens with stock left over). Nor can they hold iPads for themselves, their friends or family. No special ?positive' treatment for working there
  • Reply 3 of 64
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    What should we really believe? Your several reports that the Japanese earthquake affected supply of parts, hence Apple will soon run out of iPad 2, or that the availability of iPad 2 is improving?
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

At which point orders were 3-4 or perhaps even 4-5 weeks. The new orders and yours are likely coming from the same batch. A batch that isn't yet totally consumed by existing orders and will be ready in about two weeks.

Right. When I ordered, it was 4-5 weeks and my shipment wasn't until April 28 with delivery into May but when the shipping time dwindled to 3-4 weeks, mine received a bump it shipping time.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    They've moved up the expected shipping date on mine from 28 to 27 days.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    rdjlexkyrdjlexky Posts: 48member
    Wasn't it 3-4 last week, and 4-5 the week before that?

Funny how that works.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Wasn't it 3-4 last week, and 4-5 the week before that?

Funny how that works.

Touché
  • Reply 8 of 64
    mattpghmattpgh Posts: 8member
    My local best buy started to get them back in stock, so I finally got mine on saturday. They actually had a decent amount of them, and still do. Now I just need my DODOCase....
  • Reply 9 of 64
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

What should we really believe? Your several reports that the Japanese earthquake affected supply of parts, hence Apple will soon run out of iPad 2, or that the availability of iPad 2 is improving?

Nobody knows anything about Japan at this point.

Kobe earthquake 15 years ago hit an industrial city that has one of the biggest ports in Japan (which affected exports). Localized damage --- companies can shift production to other factories in other parts of Japan and use other sea ports to export their products to the US. Fairly quick rebuilding and their whole economy wasn't really affected.

The earthquake last month hit a rural area in Japan --- so everybody INITIALLY thought that it will cause even less damage to the whole Japan economy than the Kobe quake. Only now that they are getting the really bad news --- half of Japan (including Tokyo) will face rolling blackouts for maybe a couple of years. Reason? Half of Japan works on 50 Hz electricity and the other half works on 60 Hz electricity.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...ids-2011-03-25
  • Reply 10 of 64
    doc_gdoc_g Posts: 5member
    I ordered my iPad on March 16th. Still listed as not delivering until April 23rd. Why do I have to wait longer than a new order?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doc_G View Post

I ordered my iPad on March 16th. Still listed as not delivering until April 23rd. Why do I have to wait longer than a new order?

I don't believe you will. I ordered mine two weeks...it's supposed to ship on April 20th and that date hasn't changed since I ordered. I'm counting on Apple to surprise me with early shipment.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

If you ordered today, 2-3 weeks out would mean your order would ship sometime between April 18th and 25th. Which is basically when your order will likely ship.

As has been mentioned, odds are new orders are being fulfilled by the same production batch that will fulfill your order. This production batch is scheduled to ship 2-3 weeks from now.

While it may seem like you have been "wronged" because you ordered first, the realities of production ? especially when done in large batches ? mean that orders placed after yours may ship at the exact same time. Think of it as a production window. Should customers who ordered after you have their orders artificially delayed if there is available stock?
  • Reply 13 of 64
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I don't believe you will. I ordered mine two weeks...it's supposed to ship on April 20th and that date hasn't changed since I ordered. I'm counting on Apple to surprise me with early shipment.

They will, don't worry. Mine shipped a week early (had ordered it late on launch day).
  • Reply 14 of 64
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A... Overseas, new orders direct from Apple are also estimated to ship within two to three weeks. That's the same estimated wait that has been shown since the iPad 2 went on sale in 25 countries on March 25....

This is not accurate (at least for Canada).

When the iPad 2 went on sale all the orders said "2 to 3 weeks", but all orders slipped to four weeks shortly after and have stuck there ever since. There is a good likelihood that this will change and that we will end up seeing them earlier, but for now they all still say four weeks, which most definitely is a "slip" from the original promised date.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    czech44czech44 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not accurate (at least for Canada).

When the iPad 2 went on sale all the orders said "2 to 3 weeks", but all orders slipped to four weeks shortly after and have stuck there ever since. There is a good likelihood that this will change and that we will end up seeing them earlier, but for now they all still say four weeks, which most definitely is a "slip" from the original promised date.

actually no, they all say 2-3 weeks now for canada
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

You probably won't. I ordered mine on March 14th and the shipment date had been listed as the 11th. It shipped this weekend without changing that date. Their dates seem to be a little padded to protect their ability to meet or exceed them.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

I ordered mine (64 ATT Black) on March 15. The order said that it would ship April 19 and be delivered April 22. I checked online with Apple every few days to see if the schedule was changing, based on the reports of early shipments, and even last night it was still the same. This morning, however, I got an email from Apple advising that my order had shipped and to expect it on Friday. This shipped two weeks and a day earlier than they had it scheduled. I'm delighted.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Nobody knows anything about Japan at this point.

Kobe earthquake 15 years ago hit an industrial city that has one of the biggest ports in Japan (which affected exports). Localized damage --- companies can shift production to other factories in other parts of Japan and use other sea ports to export their products to the US. Fairly quick rebuilding and their whole economy wasn't really affected.

The earthquake last month hit a rural area in Japan --- so everybody INITIALLY thought that it will cause even less damage to the whole Japan economy than the Kobe quake. Only now that they are getting the really bad news --- half of Japan (including Tokyo) will face rolling blackouts for maybe a couple of years. Reason? Half of Japan works on 50 Hz electricity and the other half works on 60 Hz electricity.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...ids-2011-03-25

Thanks a lot for clarifying this. I appreciate it.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragrider View Post

I ordered mine (64 ATT Black) on March 15. The order said that it would ship April 19 and be delivered April 22. I checked online with Apple every few days to see if the schedule was changing, based on the reports of early shipments, and even last night it was still the same. This morning, however, I got an email from Apple advising that my order had shipped and to expect it on Friday. This shipped two weeks and a day earlier than they had it scheduled. I'm delighted.

Sweet! Hope mine ships two weeks early!
  • Reply 20 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Apple haven't fulfilled a single online order in the UK yet. All new stock is going directly to the stores.