Can any of you maths geniuses help me?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am stuck in a group theory question, want to give it a try?

Let R be a relation on Z (integers) such that m is a positive integer, x R y if and only if m divides x - y, where x, y are integers.

Prove that this equivalence relation partitions Z into m distinct classes.

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: soulcrusher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sorry man, we don't do homework.

• Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>sorry man, we don't do homework.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well played Alcimedes, i have a different reply, but luckily you replied before me (our reputation of Genius is saved ).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    42 is the answer.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>42 is the answer. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes it is. Now where's that damn towel?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Well, the statement of your problem mentions that you've got an equivalence relation, so I assume that's a given. And you mention distinct "classes," so I assume that you've got the definition of an equivalence class to work with as well.

I would suggest that you forget about the precise statement of the relation R (congruence of integers) and focus instead on equivalence classes in general. Specifically, any equivalence relation on a set A will partition A into mutually disjoint, nonempty subsets. Prove that first, then use the congruence of integers afterwards to prove that there are actually m of these congruence classes.

You can show that an equivalence relation partitions its set by working with the definition of a partition:

(Goes to fetch old math textbook)

Partition:

Let {A_k}, k in K, be a collection of subsets of the nonempty set A. Then {A_k} is a partition of A iff these conditions apply:

1. each A_k is nonempty.

2. A = Union of all A_k over all k in K.

3. if A_1 intersect A_2 is nonempty, then A_1 = A_2

For example, the first part is easy to prove: since your equivalence relation is reflexive, you know that xRx for all x in A, so each equivalence class associated with any given element will at least contain itself as a member.

Use the reflexivity, symmetry and transitivity of R to prove the rest.

Good luck. (It's been years since I've seen this stuff, btw, so you take my advice at your own risk!)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>

Yes it is. Now where's that damn towel?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't Panic