Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    It seems that Acer's reasoning (if I can use that word here) must be that if a touchscreen is a good idea, then two of them must be twice as good. I shudder to imagine where this kind of "thinking" could take us ...

• Reply 42 of 83
    Does your "harness" comment reference "Artery Of Fire"?
  • Reply 43 of 83
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Sweet fancy Moses...
  • Reply 44 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    FrankenPad
  • Reply 45 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

FrankenPad

They should have used that. Could have saved Iconia for a cool product. Neat name, now it is ruined.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

They should have used that. Could have saved Iconia for a cool product. Neat name, now it is ruined.

If you remember the episode of Star Trek TNG with Iconia (the Iconians were gone, but their remaining robot sentinel scanned the Enterprise and destabilized all its systems till it was on the point of blowing up) maybe "Iconia" wouldn't convey the comforting impression you might want.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    But seriously?if this idea gains any traction at all, maybe Apple will see a chance to sell everybody two iPads. You stand one up as the display and lay one down as the keyboard. It'd still be cheaper, weigh 1/3 as much, and have 3 times the battery life of this thing. "Want a dual-screen tablet? There's an app for that."
  • Reply 48 of 83
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm with you on this, I think as a concept, it looks pretty cool.

When it becomes possible to do the same thing a lot lighter and with better battery life (and, lets face it, without Windows), it strikes me as a pretty neat form factor.

I agree, in theory, that this thing is different at least from a curiousity standpoint. However, technology just hasn't caught up to this device. It's almost everything the average consumer wouldn't want, starting with Windows. There are really too many drawbacks. Two displays on a mobile device? Wow! And as weak as battery tech is at this point. If it was half the weight, three times the battery life and ran OSX, I'd consider buying it if I didn't already have a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Train Wreck.

ROFL. Couldn't have said it better.

This thing is the perfect solution to a problem nobody had. It is Acer's Folio. Except they actually made it.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    My god, how many unicorns were sacrificed to make this thing?
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

It'd still be cheaper, weigh 1/3 as much, and have 3 times the battery life of this thing.

You forgot to mention that it/they would also not run Windows - another considerable benefit of having dual iPads vs. owning this doorstop-waiting-to-happen.

Now taking guesses as to total number sold before they pull the plug. Xoom's done 100K so far - think this one will do better?

My guess is end total will be around 600-800.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    and in a big way.

Classic Inventor's Dilemma:

http://www.amazon.com/Innovators-Dil.../dp/0066620694

Microsoft and Intel are so drunk on their profits, they won't see their lunch being eaten until it's way too late (ie, now).

All these half-assed attempts to dress up the Windows pig with mobile lipstick have been a comedy of errors for a decade... and Microsoft still doesn't learn.

I think it's part of their (now well worn and useless) playbook to forestall any innovative threat, and the fact that they're incapable of changing their response (Windows) or actually competing with the innovators (WP7) is nothing short of amazing.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

It seems that Acer's reasoning (if I can use that word here) must be that if a touchscreen is a good idea, then two of them must be twice as good. I shudder to imagine where this kind of "thinking" could take us ...

This thinking isn't new. It's brought us factory farms, frankenfood and a US nuclear weapons stockpile that's far far more than necessary.

It's almost canonically big business to think that "bigger = better".
  • Reply 54 of 83
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I don't get it. Is it an iPad competitor? a MBA competitor? A MBP wannabe?

Acer should just call this the "Kitchen Sink" model. Your battery power even goes down the drain!

Wow, that's hilarious! People complain about having to type on a touch screen (iPad) because it's not a real keyboard, so Acer comes out with a 2-screen 6.2 lb laptop running Windows where you have to type on a touch screen? What in the hell are they thinking?

It's not an iPad, MBA, or MBP competitor - it's apparently trying to go head-to-head with the Xoom in a race to the bottom. No wonder they just fired the CEO there.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I agree, in theory, that this thing is different at least from a curiousity standpoint. However, technology just hasn't caught up to this device. It's almost everything the average consumer wouldn't want, starting with Windows. There are really too many drawbacks. Two displays on a mobile device? Wow! And as weak as battery tech is at this point. If it was half the weight, three times the battery life and ran OSX, I'd consider buying it if I didn't already have a MacBook Pro.

If it was 1/3 the weight, 2x the battery life, and ran OS X it would be my MBA 11.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

If you remember the episode of Star Trek TNG with Iconia (the Iconians were gone, but their remaining robot sentinel scanned the Enterprise and destabilized all its systems till it was on the point of blowing up) maybe "Iconia" wouldn't convey the comforting impression you might want.

I think saving FrankenPad and using Iconia makes sense. FrankenPad actually sounds kind of cool - much more memorable than 'Iconia'. (And I had to go look up the name since I had already forgotten it...)
  • Reply 57 of 83
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

NOTE: a six month old calf weighs quite a bit more than a 5.5' 55Kg weed of a kid and has a lot of power in its youth.

I like your mix of Imperial and SI!
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

How is this a competitor to an iPad or an Air? It is completely different to both of them. Unless it's because they are all computers with an OS and screens, in that case they're identical. In that case a Range Rover is the same thing as a BMW Z4, they both have wheels and people fit inside them.

Clearly it's a competitor to an iPad because you now get to type on a screen, only on a heavy laptop. The Air... well, this thing makes me say 'Wow!' too, though admittedly in a less positive way. So there you have it.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    LOL why even bother with crap like this?
  • Reply 60 of 83
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

How can a product be so much fail in one little box?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Train Wreck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

FrankenPad

You simply can't make this stuff up!! Truly incredible!!!

The problem with watching all this type of epic failure unfold in the digital world is that - if one were not careful - it may give the Apple fan a false sense of complacency. One wonders whether the truly introspective Windoz fan experiences an equally compelling sense of impotence.

I well remember the days of Apple wading into the thick of smirks and gleeful priggery from Intel/Windows fans who loudly trumpeted the speed competition of Intel over Motorola silicon.