Acer's Iconia Touchbook takes on iPad, MacBook Air using Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

All these half-assed attempts to dress up the Windows pig with mobile lipstick have been a comedy of errors for a decade... and Microsoft still doesn't learn.

How is this Microsofts half assed attempt? Acer pay for a licience, and stick it on an abombination.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I have never seen Acer claim this is a competitor to the iPad. Now their tablet range, the honeycomb versions, they are marketing towards the ipad. They are bringing out hteir 10.1" honeycomb tablet (released locally 20th April) at exactly the same price as the ipad.

It's obviously not a competitor. I'm not entirely sure what it is. But, if they shaved a pound and a half off the weight, and increased battery life to 6 hours, with the pricing this is at, it could be a viable product. But, as it is, it's a doorstop. Possibly if they went from 14" screens to 11" screens it might have worked.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

But seriously—if this idea gains any traction at all, maybe Apple will see a chance to sell everybody two iPads. You stand one up as the display and lay one down as the keyboard. It'd still be cheaper, weigh 1/3 as much, and have 3 times the battery life of this thing. "Want a dual-screen tablet? There's an app for that."

That is a great idea. They need to be connected through a smart connector (using the magnets in the iPad) which would detect both pads and put them in the right screen mode. The device would be a quad core duo and have 32 gb of flash, 10 hour battery, etc, at $998.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Wow, that's hilarious! People complain about having to type on a touch screen (iPad) because it's not a real keyboard, so Acer comes out with a 2-screen 6.2 lb laptop running Windows where you have to type on a touch screen? What in the hell are they thinking?

It's not an iPad, MBA, or MBP competitor - it's apparently trying to go head-to-head with the Xoom in a race to the bottom. No wonder they just fired the CEO there.

LOL, I agree.

It would be a disgrace to say this device competes with anything made since 2000. 6.2 pounds and a touchscreen keyboard? Are you shitting me? Maybe this was an April fools joke or an Onion News Network story? Can anyone verify?

This product had to be a basis for firing the CEO.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    DOA
  • Reply 66 of 83
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Holy crap! 6lbs, $1200 and realistically 2 hours of battery life? Unbelievable. Just shocking that this would actually be produced by a major company.

It actually shows the sad state of affairs that CES is. For this waste of silicon to win a design award just shows that the cluelessness extends well beyond Acer.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Their products seem to cost a lot more now that they stopped using used parts.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Holy crap! 6lbs, $1200 and realistically 2 hours of battery life? Unbelievable. Just shocking that this would actually be produced by a major company.

It actually shows the sad state of affairs that CES is. For this waste of silicon to win a design award just shows that the cluelessness extends well beyond Acer.

It took 'til the very last post...dang nab it... I was going to say that!

@ All previous posters

This has got to be the funniest "one-liner thread" in a long time!!! Great stuff folks!

Love the post: "emoticon" reactions while reading the article. Clever indeed!

Should have know I was in for some early morning laughs when it started with "Train Wreck"... still laughing!
  • Reply 69 of 83
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    I seriously thought this was a joke when I saw the picture. Someone's losing their job for this monstrosity.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

I hope someone does get it though, because Real Competition will drive Apple to improve more and faster, which means we the consumers will benefit. I dislike Android, but it's the best thing to happen to iOS since SJ.

I'm not trying to "rag" on you ... honestly, Im not ..... but for the life of me, I still don't understand why a lot of people ... not just you .... insist on saying that Apple "needs competition to keep innovating and improving".

Apple's biggest pressure to succeed comes from .... Apple itself. Say it with me ... Apple's biggest pressure to succeed comes from .... Apple itself!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the MP3/ music industry? Hell no!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the cellphone industry? Again, hell no!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the tablet industry? You got it ... hell no!

Steve has said many, many times that the thing that drives Apple is the desire to to make the best products that they can .... not the cheapest , but the best .... and it just so happens that to the shopper that considers the "whole picture," Apple usually represents the best value as well.

Lastly, just ask yourself .... Has all that competition driven Apples competitors to make the best products possible ? Judging from this latest effort from Acer ... I'd say the answer is a very resounding ...NO!

Remember please, .... the competition doesn't drive Apple .... Apple drives Apple. (rant over)
  • Reply 71 of 83
    This is hilarious! You would quite literally be far better off by buying two iPads and duct-taping them together: it'd be much faster, get much better battery life, run software which someone not being coerced at gunpoint might actually want to use, be more portable...and still be cheaper! The only thing you'd be skimping on is storage space, and that's a matter of usage habits. Someone really oughta develop some kind of dual-iPad synchronization software (maybe for jailbroken iPads, so that it can be used across any app) to transform a pair of 'em into a Super Laptop.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTudy View Post

heh, I'd hate to see how the blue screen of death looks on both screens at the same time XD.

When it crashes you can't even CTRL-ALT-DELETE the thing either!
  • Reply 73 of 83
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    How come this monstrosity even made it to production? Didn't one person look at it and say WTF is that? I can see the board getting all uneasy and firing the CEO.

PC makers rested on their laurels way too long, and they will now pay dearly for this complacency. They and M$ never succeeded in improving battery life for notebooks and their stuff was always half-assed. Even windows 7, despite being touted as the chosen one, suffers from driver issues and crashes. My work laptop freezes at least twice a day and I have to hold down the power button to reboot it.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

When it crashes you can't even CTRL-ALT-DELETE the thing either!

• Reply 75 of 83
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    On the bright side, no one can say that Acer was an Apple copy-cat with this thing.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I have never seen Acer claim this is a competitor to the iPad. Now their tablet range, the honeycomb versions, they are marketing towards the ipad. They are bringing out hteir 10.1" honeycomb tablet (released locally 20th April) at exactly the same price as the ipad.

It was Bloomberg that was making the comparisons if you bothered to actually go out and check the article - in which they were trying very hard to be complimentary. It is a legitimate comparison as it is a full touch-driven computing device in what amounts to a "notebook" form factor, giving you two screens to provide input on instead of one. Since Acer themselves are trying to blur the device categories by doing this - it is perfectly legit to compare for example, to both the iPad and the Macbook Air, and also the Macbook and Macbook Pro. For that matter it can be compared to Toshiba's defunct Libretto, the naiscent RIM Playbook or any other offering from Dell, HP, Asus, or the rest of the PC makers vying for market- and mind-share. The comparison by Bloomberg to the iPad and the MacBook Air is likely because Apple has a lot of consumer interest with those devices, has a strong lead in the tablet category and is the only PC maker growing marketshare more strongly than the rest of the category.

And for the record just because Acer (or anyone else)brings out a variety of tablet format devices it is no guarantee that they will gain marketshare of any appreciable amount. The critical aspect of the new tablet category success is the establishment of a strong ecosystem to make using the tablet viable for day-to-day practical. Apple has the strongest ecosystem for this, followed by RIM and Google/Android. But even Google/Android is not necessarily a given, as ChromeOS keeps peeking out from behind the curtain and gives Google advantages for platform development that Android doesn't.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I don't get it. Is it an iPad competitor? a MBA competitor? A MBP wannabe?

Acer should just call this the "Kitchen Sink" model. Your battery power even goes down the drain!

LOLz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

...engineering hermaphrodite...

Oh, I wish I'd thought of this first, and copyrighted it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

At least they won't have to worry about the shortage of touchscreens.

Oh, snap!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Is it just me, or does the Acer Ring remind anyone of this spoof

Perhaps they thought it was a real product?

I would not be surprised.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My god, how many unicorns were sacrificed to make this thing?

Apple fans come up with the most creative pwnage, I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm not trying to "rag" on you ... honestly, Im not ..... but for the life of me, I still don't understand why a lot of people ... not just you .... insist on saying that Apple "needs competition to keep innovating and improving".

Apple's biggest pressure to succeed comes from .... Apple itself. Say it with me ... Apple's biggest pressure to succeed comes from .... Apple itself!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the MP3/ music industry? Hell no!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the cellphone industry? Again, hell no!

Did the lack of decent competition stop Apple from overhauling the tablet industry? You got it ... hell no!

Steve has said many, many times that the thing that drives Apple is the desire to to make the best products that they can .... not the cheapest , but the best .... and it just so happens that to the shopper that considers the "whole picture," Apple usually represents the best value as well.

Lastly, just ask yourself .... Has all that competition driven Apples competitors to make the best products possible ? Judging from this latest effort from Acer ... I'd say the answer is a very resounding ...NO!

Remember please, .... the competition doesn't drive Apple .... Apple drives Apple. (rant over)

I absolutely agree, and I made this same point on another thread a while back. People need to stop with this "competition is good for Apple" meme. Apple were at their very worst when they were in "competitive" mode. They released underpowered, overpriced stuff that very few (read die hard Apple loyalists--myself among them) were interested in buying. Apple changed the rules of the game when Steve came back and introduced the iMac, OS X and the iPod. Since then, the industry hasn't been competing with Apple so much as they've been tripping over their shoelaces--and each other--trying to catch up.

You don't win the race by looking sideways at your fellow competitors. You win the race by looking at the finish line and moving toward it at full speed.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Here's the product that should have been compared to the iPad:

Here comes the Android tablet price plunge
  • Reply 79 of 83
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    I think it looks cool. No idea why its compared to the iPad and MBA, Apple obviously don't have an equivelent product.

Also if this thing had an Apple logo on it, I'm certain general opinion would be that its amazing and is the future of laptops.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I think it looks cool. No idea why its compared to the iPad and MBA, Apple obviously don't have an equivelent product.

Also if this thing had an Apple logo on it, I'm certain general opinion would be that its amazing and is the future of laptops.

Not at 6.2 pounds and with a wishful 3 hours of battery life. That alone precludes it from ever being an Apple product.