Apple's Final Cut Pro update rumored to add iPad, Thunderbolt support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Comments from an industry insider have offered a glimpse at what Apple is expected to announce at this week's anticipated unveiling of the new Final Cut Pro, including potential support for high-speed Thunderbolt ports and the iPad.

The details came from comments by Mark Raudonis, head of post production at Bunim/Murray Productions, who was given an advance look at the anticipated software update. Raudonis's comments were collected by FilmMaker Magazine, and were discovered by MacRumors.

Speaking at the PreNAB Editors' Lounge 2011, Raudonis recalled a famous quote from hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, in which he said he would "skate to where the puck will be" -- a comment also cited in the past by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. Raudonis said that the new version of Final Cut Pro exemplifies that philosophy.

"Where is the puck headed? Again, I can't speak specifically, but I think the rest of the time here will be very interesting," he said. "File-based workflows, Thunderbolt, iPad, competition, it's a moving target. Adobe, Avid, Lightworks. There's a lot of other stuff out there. And they (Apple) are certainly not ignorant of what's going on in the market at the moment."

He continued: "Apple is very good at going their own way and figuring out where things will be. They may not ask you what you want. They are going to tell you 'We're going to invent something different.'"

Raudonis said he was "very impressed" by the preview of the new Final Cut Pro. He also said that Apple indicated the product will be available in Spring 2011.

In February, one video professional who was given a private demonstration of Final Cut Pro said the new version is a "jaw dropper. he also said it would be a "great year" for users of the Final Cut Pro software suite.

Another report characterized the new version as "spectacular," and said it would represent the "biggest overhaul to Final Cut Pro since the original version was created over 10 years ago.

Apple is expected to announce the new Final Cut Pro on April 12, at the FCP User Group SuperMeet. The anticipated reveal became known because Apple required sponsors of the meetup to cancel their presentations in order to reserve the stage time necessary to demonstrate the next version of Final Cut Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Final Cut on iPad would be amazing.

Today I realized that the iPad 2 has a faster processor and more RAM than my 2003 desktop computer had. If older versions of film editing software worked on that computer then certainly a custom designed Final Cut could work on an iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Final Cut on iPad would be amazing.

Yep, because everyone wants to edit video at 1024x768.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

But being able to use the iPad as a tool to work with video editing software on your main computer would be interesting.

Looking forward to new Final Cut Pro tools. It's about time they get a decent update.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

iMovie on the iPhone was pretty slick for 3.5? screen and all finger controls. iMovie on the iPad was considerably better with 8x the screen real estate. Surely FCP for the iPad won?t have the same features as for Mac OS but if I had to do some edits on the go or something minor I?d much rather use iMovie on my iPad than on my Mac. That makes me think there could very well be some real utility to FCP for the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

But being able to use the iPad as a tool to work with video editing software on your main computer would be interesting.

Looking forward to new Final Cut Pro tools. It's about time they get a decent update.

Imagine if FCP for the iPad and Mac allows for AirPlay access. I think a whole new world of seamless cross-computing could open up.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

The iPad becomes your control board. The video remains on the computer.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I am just wondering what the pricing might be like.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iMovie on the iPhone was pretty slick for 3.5? screen and all finger controls. iMovie on the iPad was considerably better with 8x the screen real estate. Surely FCP for the iPad won?t have the same features as for Mac OS but if I had to do some edits on the go or something minor I?d much rather use iMovie on my iPad than on my Mac. That makes me think there could very well be some real utility to FCP for the iPad.

I don't think we will see FCP on iPad, we have iMovie which is enough. What I do think would be pretty useful is that FCP on the desktop could access the movies in the iPhone or iPad directly as capture source. Say you are working in the field with a news crew and someone was able to capture some great footage on their iOS, it would be nice to be able to grab that footage without having to email it or upload it to iDisk. Just plug it into the USB (or eventually TB) port, say allow access to FCP and import into your FCP project.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    From what they say on the video either FCP is on the iPad or it can use the iPad in some way. They're talking about FCP having multitouch interaction. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I thought Final Cut was relatively connector technology independent, as long as the driver is in the OS, you can have USB, Firewire, SDI, HDMI video and audio input/output devices, and I don't see why it's inserted into the story, so long as the OS supports a driver, I would think that Thunderbolt A/V I/O devices would work without having to update the software. What on Thunderbolt would need special support from an application?
  • Reply 11 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    In the not too distant past film was edited by touching it. So editing using a touch screen is really not all that strange. To many old school film editors it might seem more "normal" than just keystrokes, mice, and jog-wheels.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Yeah, because you totally understood the role that the iPad will play in this, Sherlock.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In the not too distant past film was edited by touching it. So editing using a touch screen is really not all that strange. To many old school film editors it might seem more "normal" than just keystrokes, mice, and jog-wheels.

I still have my Super 8 splicer and spool of magnetic (sound track) tape. Those were the days!

All the best.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    I'd like to see realtime proxy editing on the iPad while raw content is being accessed and rendered on the computer. But being able to use multitouch have useful gestures sounds gimmicky like Tom Cruise in Minority Report, it may or may not better to those who require per-frame based precision editing unless they integrate a large jog-wheel interface on the ipad.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Marks comments did not AT ALL lead towards iPad connectivity. He was listing a series of general topics that were surely top of mind when Apple was working on the new FCP.

There "might" be some way to leverage the iPad as an input device, but it could equally or more likely be that he was referencing the iPad as a distribution platform.

The tea-leaf reading of the intentionally vague statements made by Mark and Larry Jordan are getting ridiculous.

I'm glad this is over soon.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Your pathetic attempts to troll simply belie your ignorance.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The tea-leaf reading of the intentionally vague statements made by Mark and Larry Jordan are getting ridiculous.

• Reply 18 of 66
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Very true. Looking forward to seeing what's announced, multi-touch implemented or not.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I still have my Super 8 splicer and spool of magnetic (sound track) tape. Those were the days!

All the best.

I literally get cramps from repetitive mouse movements in FCPro. I for one would love to have touch interface.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I literally get cramps from repetitive mouse movements in FCPro. I for one would love to have touch interface.

I would have thought that an iPad would make a brilliant remote for FCP, just as it does Mathematica, that brilliant program for which computers were conceived I believe , in the form of Wolfram Alpha. I had wondered whether iPad 2 was going to have Thunderbolt, however, usb is no doubt quite sufficient in these applications.