Brand new iMacs for $1049; iPhone 5 in China by October; Jailbreak-less iPhone unlock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AppleInsider sponsor MacMall on Tuesday again teamed with eBay to offer readers a killer deal on Apple's 3.06GHz 21.5-inch iMac, selling brand new units for $1,048.99 while supplies last. And one analyst has been told Apple's iPhone 5 is expected to launch in China by October. Finally, hackers have found an iPhone unlock method that apparently does not require a jailbreak and occurs through iTunes.

eBay, MacMall offer 21.5-inch iMac for $1049

The promotion, which is part of eBay's ongoing Daily Deals blowout sale, knocks $150 (or 12.5%) off the entry level iMac, bringing the cost down to $1,048.99, which is the lowest price we've ever seen on this model.

These are brand new, unopened iMacs featuring an Intel Core i3 3.06GHz, 4GB (2x2GB) DD3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA HDD, 21.5" LED-backlit display, ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB GDDR3, SuperDrive, Gigabit Ethernet, Airport Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi, SDXC card slot, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse. There's a strict limit of one per customer.

Readers interested in this deal can compare it to prices from Apple's other authorized resellers in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide, the iMac segment of which is included below:

Rumor: iPhone 5 on track for October launch in China

Analyst Brian White issued a note to investors Tuesday, in which he revealed he attended a China electronics trade show where certain information was relayed. Sources at the event were varied, suggesting the iPhone 5 will debut in June, while others said it won't be unveiled until September.

In late March, numerous reports indicated that Apple has no plans to unveil new iPhone hardware at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference. Apple has used the conference in years past to unveil the next version of the iPhone.

Sources at the event also reportedly told White that the iPhone 5 appears on track for an October launch in China. Reports have suggested that Apple does not plan to introduce its anticipated iPhone 5 until after fiscal 2011, which concludes in late September.

For comparison, the iPhone 4 launched in China in late September last year. White said it's possible that, if the iPhone 5 is released later than June, Apple could ramp up its international availability faster than the iPhone 4. That's the same approach Apple used with the iPad 2, which debuted in 25 countries overseas just weeks after it went on sale in the U.S.

Finally, White was also told to expect the iPad 2 to launch in China during June, which would be much sooner than the late September 2010 launch for the first-generation iPad.

Jailbreak-less unlock for iPhone uses Apple's database

Various online services that offer to unlock customers' cellphones for a fee began this week selling an unlock for Apple's iPhone that works through iTunes. This is the first time that such services have been available without a jailbreak

iPhone jailbreak community member "MuscleNerd" explained on Twitter that the unlock is accomplished by using access to Apple's database, which allows it to be activated through iTunes. The "illicit" hack costs $169 from the site cutyoursim.com.

The site advertises that it can unlock an iPhone, allowing it to be used on any compatible carrier, with a turnaround time of 2 to 5 days. It also claims that the product is a "permanent" solution, but "MuscleNerd" indicated that Apple has the power to "revoke" an unlock if an iPhone were to be restored via iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I"m going to laugh my ass off if come late June Apple puts out a press release stating that they are NOT releasing new iphone hardware this year.

HOWEVER, due to the conclusion of the exclusivity contract with ATT starting August 1 there would be new purchase and use policies (such as)

1. Apple Retail Stores will no longer sell full price no activation iphones. Customers would be able to buy one unit per generation via the online store. These online purchased iphones would be factory unlocked.

2. Customers purchasing a full price, activated iphone at the store would still be under the same 'no contract extension' terms as before

3. Starting August 1, any customer with a previously purchased iphone and an active contract of no less than 12 months would be allowed to go to any Apple store and request that his/her iphone be officially restored as an unlocked iphone. (some kind of IMEI or such verification would be in place to prove they meant the requirements and/or to ensure that further home restores were also unlocked).

However, customers would be reminded that due to technology issues outside of Apple's control, iphones still would not be able to access T-Mobile 3g or 4g systems. And anyone that had previously unlocked their phone themselves and cancelled their ATT service could not receive an official unlock (they voided that right when they tampered with their phones)

4. Starting August 1, any iphone bought on a full or early upgrade subsidy would be locked to ATT for a period of no less than 12 months. After which time, rule 3 applies.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    The iMac is long overdue for a refresh. I'd hold off on buying for the next month or so. The inclusion of Sandy Bridge is worth the wait.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by x Charles x View Post

The iMac is long overdue for a refresh. I'd hold off on buying for the next month or so. The inclusion of Sandy Bridge is worth the wait.

And the inclusion of Thunderbolt.

I love when I start seeing prices dropping, it usually means an update is coming soon.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    $169 bucks for an unlock that can be revoked at anytime from Apple? No thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

$169 bucks for an unlock that can be revoked at anytime from Apple? No thanks.

I wonder if Musclenut realizes the flaw in his business proposal-

\
  • Reply 6 of 17
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    I don't think many people understand Steve Jobs. Here's one great site on Steve:

http://www.allaboutstevejobs.com/bei...rk/3-work.html

And for those of you still want to save Xserve, it's time to let it go. Steve once said any product that makes no profit must go.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    While I'd love to see an international release come September, it sounds like China is just expecting the same annual refresh as we are in June.

I hate to say it, but I still think we'll be lucky to see an iPhone 5 before 2012. The iPhone 4 is too strong.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    it strikes me that rumors of the iPhone 5 coming later than usual are very much in Apple's best interest, since it encourages people to buy the iPhone 4 rather than wait.

I can't imagine this is lost on Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I"m going to laugh my ass off if come late June Apple puts out a press release stating that they are NOT releasing new iphone hardware this year.

What would be funny about it?! Apple will not put out press release saying there are not releasing new iPhone. They will just not release anything. No press release no statement. Period.

The iPhone 4 is selling very strong and I personally believe that Apple can go without a new iPhone this summer. However, there is always space for improvement such as A5 and HSPA+.

Quote:

HOWEVER, due to the conclusion of the exclusivity contract with ATT starting August 1 there would be new purchase and use policies (such as)

1. Apple Retail Stores will no longer sell full price no activation iphones. Customers would be able to buy one unit per generation via the online store. These online purchased iphones would be factory unlocked.

2. Customers purchasing a full price, activated iphone at the store would still be under the same 'no contract extension' terms as before

3. Starting August 1, any customer with a previously purchased iphone and an active contract of no less than 12 months would be allowed to go to any Apple store and request that his/her iphone be officially restored as an unlocked iphone. (some kind of IMEI or such verification would be in place to prove they meant the requirements and/or to ensure that further home restores were also unlocked).

However, customers would be reminded that due to technology issues outside of Apple's control, iphones still would not be able to access T-Mobile 3g or 4g systems. And anyone that had previously unlocked their phone themselves and cancelled their ATT service could not receive an official unlock (they voided that right when they tampered with their phones)

4. Starting August 1, any iphone bought on a full or early upgrade subsidy would be locked to ATT for a period of no less than 12 months. After which time, rule 3 applies.

Really?! I think you didn't get th memo yet. The exclusivity ended when Verizon got the iPhone two months ago.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    This is the first sign that Apple is reducing it's inventory if IMacs in prep for release of update. Be assured that EBay is not taking any loss in this promo. This is Apple sporting supply to clear inventory. Actually this is similar to what happened in 2010 before the last update.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Hey guy please STOP advertising as if it was real news that you're giving!!! that is not such a good contribution to your applenews reputation! So please stop announcing a new big deal from one of your partners as it was the last great rumor in the industry!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

I don't think many people understand Steve Jobs. Here's one great site on Steve:

http://www.allaboutstevejobs.com/bei...rk/3-work.html

And for those of you still want to save Xserve, it's time to let it go. Steve once said any product that makes no profit must go.

I understand why they axed it, but the least they could do is give the Mac Pro a redundant power supply option.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if Apple is delaying the iPhone until the end of Summer/beginning of Autumn should we expect Mac OS X Lion to be a big focus at WWDC this year with a release coming early in the Summer.

If that is the case, and Lion has a double resolution option, should we expect new Macs right after that release with an increase resolution?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I wonder if Musclenut realizes the flaw in his business proposal-

\

I wonder why you comment on things you know nothing about. Musclenerd has nothing to do with these unlocks. He is a member of the Dev team that releases FREE jailbreak and SOFTWARE UNLOCKS, and happens to be rather knowlegable about how Apple is locking the phones. He was quoted as a subject matter expert.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    These are also being offered on the Rebel Simcard site although mostly for European locked iPhones

http://rebelsimcard.com/iphone-factory-unlock.html
  • Reply 16 of 17
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    What happened to the tumor that an iPhone would be release in "the spring"???
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quickroute View Post

These are also being offered on the Rebel Simcard site although mostly for European locked iPhones

http://rebelsimcard.com/iphone-factory-unlock.html

You know it could be that those official European unlocks have access to AT&T iPhone since AT&T lost exclusivity. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T offered unlock soon though. We all know how long it took them to get MMS and tethering working.