Is OS X 10.7 Lion offering core benefits?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Thus far 10.7's developments at a glance seem to me to be offering 'window dressing'... enhanced dictionaries, textedit, Yahoo IM, iCal... like announcing a new car and saying, "the speedo now tells you kilometres and miles per hour... but no... it won't go any faster"

Is anybody aware of anything at a core level that is going to make this a more powerful upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steverino View Post

Thus far 10.7's developments at a glance seem to me to be offering 'window dressing'... enhanced dictionaries, textedit, Yahoo IM, iCal... like announcing a new car and saying, "the speedo now tells you kilometres and miles per hour... but no... it won't go any faster"

Is anybody aware of anything at a core level that is going to make this a more powerful upgrade?

Thank you. This is what I just said in the most recent Lion thread (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=122351&page=2)

I'm not seeing anything really compelling. Neither did I see anything really compelling in the MBP 2011 version, so I got the price-slashed MBP 2010 13" 2.4GHZ with Nvidia 320M graphics. Intel graphics rubbish-GPU BundleGate is a no-go for me.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I'm sure I recall one of the main aims with the development of 10.6 was increased efficiency and less bloat and to tell the truth, I find nothing to complain about as of 10.6.7

Unless something compelling is yet to be announced, this will be the first upgrade I'll pass on.

I run Logic 9 in a pro studio and the app and all drivers are stable and reliable, so I'm not going to be contacting 3rd party developers asking for updated drivers because I really want to use my new dictionary.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Auto Save

Versions

Resume

Filevault

Air Drop

Lion Server built in

All core changes that yield significant benefit to the end user potentially.

AV Foundation - 21st century media framework

-----------------------

I totally understand having a setup that works and is trouble free but even from what Apple is showing on their page shows a nice leap forward in usability. In the end I use a computer to become more efficient and that's what i'm seeing with Lion. Polish and tools to make me a more efficient user.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I understand that and I hope I am thus far ill informed, but from what I see at the moment, this could easily pass for a 10.6.8 update.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steverino View Post

I understand that and I hope I am thus far ill informed, but from what I see at the moment, this could easily pass for a 10.6.8 update.

You're not ill informed. We've seen little information about deep architectural changes in Lion. Perhaps it's a good thing that it doesn't seem to deviate too much from Snow Leopard. I"m not wholly convinced that we're going to see jaw dropping features hit OS X anytime soon.

I think the basics are there are other than Cloud integration and more media handling improvements I think the evolution is going to slow down a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Apple rarely put a foot wrong these days, so I'm sure we'll have little to worry about. Whether Lion proves to be the king of the Big Cats or if it should have been named 10.7 Ocelot... only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    They already did the core upgrade with Snow Leopard, now it's time to leverage that technology with something visually, as what hmurchison was saying.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Get a developer account and go look at the Lion SDK notes. Its not like Apple would put that kind of stuff on the user-focused home page..
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Fair comment Akac..... will do that, instead of poking around in the dark with a white stick.... and as a newbie, I have to say... "it's good here.. I like it.... you guys play nice"

For years now I've checked in here first thing every morning but not used the forums.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    randianrandian Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Filevault

The new FileVault will only be compelling if Apple hardware accelerates it using Sandy Bridge's new AES-NI instructions.