Customers frustrated with lack of stock for Best Buy iPad 2 promotion

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Though Best Buy advertised that its stores would have iPad 2 stock available for sale on Sunday, numerous customers came away empty handed as availability of Apple's touchscreen tablet remains limited.

A number of readers contacted AppleInsider to express their frustration with Sunday's sale. The big-box retailer made a marketing push with a Sunday flier advertising availability of the iPad 2, though the advertisement noted that stores would have "limited quantities" and offer "no rainchecks."

The company had revealed weeks ago that it was withholding some iPad 2 stock from sale for an upcoming promotion. But at least a handful of stores had no inventory available on Sunday, a fact that was upsetting to some customers.

"Moreover, they didn't even tell us while we were in line that they hadn't gotten a shipment," reader Joel from San Francisco, Calif., said "30 of us waited in line until 10am (I got in line at 9:40am) only to be told that they were out of stock."

He and others were offered the ability to sign up for Best Buy's waiting list, as the company has reenabled its reserve system for this week's promotion. Customers who reserve an iPad 2 will have the device held for no longer than 48 hours for pickup.

AppleInsider reached out to Best Buy on Monday for comment, but has not yet received a response. A leaked memo from the retailer made it clear before Sunday's promotion that the company knew customer interest would exceed available supply.

"Corporate Support Teams know that many stores won't be in the optimal inventory situation or have available units to meet our customers' requests for this ad," it said. "It will be critical that stores have their current reservation(s) worked through and execute any new reservations effectively to take care of as many customers as possible."

In Florida, another reader expressed frustration over the lack of inventory at a Best Buy store in South Miami Beach. Similar to the store in San Francisco, customers in line were not notified before the doors opened if there were any iPad 2 units in stock. Employees reportedly said they were "not supposed to talk about it."

And reader Eric was third in line in Avon, Ohio, where he, too, was not informed before Best Buy store opened for business that there was no iPad 2 stock. In Ohio and Michigan, Best Buy stores advertised that they would have a minimum of three units at each store.

Chris said despite the fact that he was third in line, he was only given an option to reserve an iPad by purchasing a $100 gift card. Best Buy's internal memo to employees said that stores in Ohio and Michigan would "meet the ad minimum" requirement by using the company's internal "Reserve Ticket Process."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    If you want to buy some AAPL stocks the time is now. AAPL was already low and this morning the Market plummed so AAPL is now trading at bargain prices

and the quarterly results are this week, this will remind investors that AAPL is still make loads of $$.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Perhaps placing an order on Apple's online store asap is the way to go to avoid all this traipsing to Best Buy. At least you'd be able to get the Apple extended warranty without a fight.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    This is a classic Best Buy ploy. They've been sued by State's Attorney Generals in the past for this type of misleading advertising. But those cases were more about bait-and-switch tactics where they'd try to redirect customers to buy something else instead of the item they saw in the ad. With this there's not really anything to "switch" the customer to. But if they can get customers to sign up on the waiting list, they can maybe prevent them from going someplace else to try and get an iPad.

A small number of states now require retailers to have a minimum number of devices anytime they advertise something as a result of this type of "scam". Too bad it's not a universal requirement everywhere.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    Yep this happened to me yesterday. I was second in line at my local store. At 9:55 a rep came out and told us they had no iPads in stock. He did allow everyone in line to reserve an iPad for pickup when the next shipment arrives. Hopefully that will be quicker than the 2-3 week wait on Apple's store. Still a bit of a low blow from Best Buy.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Wow! They murdered that typeface. That is one ugly ad. Had to be done on Windows. Mac designers don't use Lucida Grande.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why would Best Buy run a special promotion for something that already has crushing demand? Sounds weird.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

This is a classic Best Buy ploy. They've been sued by State's Attorney Generals in the past for this type of misleading advertising. But those cases were more about bait-and-switch tactics where they'd try to redirect customers to buy something else instead of the item they saw in the ad. With this there's not really anything to "switch" the customer to. But if they can get customers to sign up on the waiting list, they can maybe prevent them from going someplace else to try and get an iPad.

A small number of states now require retailers to have a minimum number of devices anytime they advertise something as a result of this type of "scam". Too bad it's not a universal requirement everywhere.

So true I minimize my purchasing from worst buy

People need to learn and contact states AG

also just stop thinking that these type companies are truthfull

Buy online from apple get the app for that
  • Reply 8 of 110
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why would Best Buy run a special promotion for something that already has crushing demand? Sounds weird.

To force you to buy a gift card
  • Reply 9 of 110
    I just wish everybody in the US would wake up and realize that Best Buy is one of if the worst retailers out there in the marketplace. I know that they will go out back to "see" if they have stock of an item, and if you don't buy the products extended warranty, they will say they are out. There is a reason they are getting sued all the time.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    I really get tired about all the whiners who think an iPad2 is going to magically be waiting for them at Best Buy or any retail store. Everyone knows they are in limited supply. Anyone who shops at Best Buy deserves what they get. Best Buy has some of the worst service I have ever experienced at any type of store. I avoid them at all costs. If you shop at Best Buy you get what you deserve. If you want an iPad2, order it online from Apple - at least then you can track when the item is estimated to be shipped and delivered. Once shipped you get a delivery date so you can plan on when to wear extra strength Depends so you are ready when you piss yourself in excitement during your unboxing.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    they were trying to bait-and-switch to sell off their Xooms,
  • Reply 12 of 110
    I was first in line at the Baltimore store and they did not have any ipad 2's. They said they only had the original Ipad's. They ended up getting 4 of the 64GB verizon ones because 2 people returned them but otherwise they would've had no stock.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Sounds idiotic. I'm guessing it was to get people through the door.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

To force you to buy a gift card

And try to shove their add-on services down people throats. They know they iPad is under high demand so saving few iPads and running promotion saying that they have them in stock means many people will go to Best Buy before going to Apple stores. It is all about getting people in.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    Yep.. I dont know why Apple, with it's AWESOME image for customer satisfaction would even CONSIDER going to BestBuy as an outlet for their products..

Between their ploys for forcing magazine subscriptions on to you, having different prices on the "inside the store version" of the website, to various other forms of advertisement trickery, or their ridiculous restocking fees, I stay away from all things related to Best Buy at all costs. NO WAY would I buy the iPad there..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

• Reply 16 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I really get tired about all the whiners who think an iPad2 is going to magically be waiting for them at Best Buy or any retail store. Everyone knows they are in limited supply. Anyone who shops at Best Buy deserves what they get. Best Buy has some of the worst service I have ever experienced at any type of store. I avoid them at all costs. If you shop at Best Buy you get what you deserve. If you want an iPad2, order it online from Apple - at least then you can track when the item is estimated to be shipped and delivered. Once shipped you get a delivery date so you can plan on when to wear extra strength Depends so you are ready when you piss yourself in excitement during your unboxing.

+1 on everything you said!
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps placing an order on Apple's online store asap is the way to go to avoid all this traipsing to Best Buy. At least you'd be able to get the Apple extended warranty without a fight.

Got my 32GB 3G iPad 2 on Craigslist for $29 under-market ($700) and no tax here in California - brand new in the box. Its all about timing on Craigslist.

Last year during the iPad crazies I bought and sold via Craiglist enough to keep the 64GB 3G version pretty much for free.

So in summary. Craigslist is the place to buy if you want one soon, and you want one for cheap.

Why do people sell you may ask? Well, people splurge and later need to pay rent. And college kids get them as gifts but would rather spend the money elsewhere... like to live secretly with their girlfriends. Many legit reasons... from the sellers perspective, maybe not the parents.

Last week and first week of the month are the best times to buy.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    this was such a ploy by best buy, its not even funny.

i had been on the pre-order list for 4 weeks this past friday.

i called and they said "oh we dont have you on here, but we have one waiting if you want to come get it".

well i did hop, skip and haul a** over there and got it, and it is SOOO awesome.

best buy however is ridic, they know they dont have stock and now they line people up!?!?!

that is so wrong and not sure what they were thinking!

they wanted people to give them $100 like i did and wait for a month, or they want you to buy something else in store, total bait and switch!!! BS
  • Reply 19 of 110
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Easy, to get people to the stores. Their hope is that while you were there you would check out what else was going on. AND you would put your name on the wait list so you would be coming back at least one more time.

Legally they did nothing wrong. They apparently had stock in the stores that were required to have stock and they were careful to say things like 'limited supply' 'no rainchecks' and if you look there was probably a line to the effect that "not all models are guaranteed at all stores" and they didn't hold back on filling previous reservations.

That said, way tacky in my book. They should NOT have hyped the ipad during this time. It wasn't needed and it was tasteless and even cruel to pull this move. It does nothing to help end the bad taste that lives in my mouth when I think of Best Buy as a company. I imagine a few thousand folks now also feel that way after this stunt
  • Reply 20 of 110
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

they were trying to bait-and-switch to sell off their Xooms,

I was thinking the same. But, at the same time, I doubt anyone would switch to a Xoom just because iPad isn't available right away.