Apple releases iTunes 10.2.2 update to fix minor bugs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Software Update is now listing iTunes 10.2.2, which the company says "provides a number of important bug fixes."

The update, also available directly from the iTunes Download page, supplies fixes for the following bugs, according to the update detail:

Addresses an issue where iTunes may become unresponsive when syncing an iPad.

Resolves an issue which may cause syncing photos with iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to take longer than necessary.

Fixes a problem where video previews on the iTunes Store may skip while playing.

Addresses other issues that improve stability and performance.

For Windows 7/Vista/XP SP2 users, iTunes 10.2.2 fixes memory corruption issues in the WebKit framework, which could enable a man-in-the-middle attack to occur while browsing the iTunes Store via iTunes on a PC, potentially leading to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code

execution. Apple credited several researchers participating in TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative for discovering the flaws that it has subsequently patched in this update.

The original release of iTunes 10.2 delivered several new features and improvements, including syncing with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running the new iOS 4.3, and improved Home Sharing, which allows users to browse and play content from iTunes libraries via the Home Sharing iPod app feature on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch units upgraded to iOS 4.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    24.5mb?

I guess I didn't notice that Apple pushes partial updates on OS X through Software Update before for iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    why doesn't iTunes update through the app store instead of through software update?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

why doesn't iTunes update through the app store instead of through software update?

I thought iTune existed before AppStore. Besides, Apple probably considers iTune as an integral part of Mac OS (just like how Microsoft thought of IE as part of Windows...)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Just do it the way it is available. Why keep questioning and wanting it another way?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That is odd. iTunes isn't in the app store at all. Neither is Safari. I think if Apple puts them on the store, they'll still have to provide updates for those that don't or can't use the app store.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That is odd. iTunes isn't in the app store at all. Neither is Safari. I think if Apple puts them on the store, they'll still have to provide updates for those that don't or can't use the app store.

Apple will probably keep Safari out of the Mac App Store.

When they update Safari, they are also updating the WebKit layer in OS X, which is extensive throughout (Dashboard, iTunes, and other apps that use it, as well as some of OS X's core services). That's why Safari always requires a restart. So unless they separate WebKit from Safari and provide the updates separately (which is doubtful), it will always be done through Software Update.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Likely because like Safari they make both a Mac and a Windows version. It is probably easier to port the Windows version from a Mac one that works the same way. Right down to the Apple Software Update utility you can put on your Windows machines.

Eventually I suspect they will detach the two versions and put iTunes and Safari for Mac on MAS but they will probably be the last two things to be switched over.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I sure hope this update fixes the bug that has disabled backup of the iTunes library to DVD. Haven't been able to do that for some time.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I sure hope this update fixes the bug that has disabled backup of the iTunes library to DVD. Haven't been able to do that for some time.

Doesn't it just make more sense to backup to a hard drive or flash drive? For that matter, aren't you already backing everything up via Time Machine? I'm just wondering what sensible use case is there for DVD backup of iTunes?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

That's because 2001 was ten years ago.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    STILL doesn't cache images properly.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Apple will probably keep Safari out of the Mac App Store.

When they update Safari, they are also updating the WebKit layer in OS X, which is extensive throughout (Dashboard, iTunes, and other apps that use it, as well as some of OS X's core services). That's why Safari always requires a restart. So unless they separate WebKit from Safari and provide the updates separately (which is doubtful), it will always be done through Software Update.

It's a guess but I think JeffDM was being a tiny bit sarcastic.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Microsoft has patch Tuesday...for once a month patching. Apple needs iTunes Monday for monthly iTunes updates.

Every freaking time I turn around there is a new version of iTunes.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    anyone else has problem with 10.2.2. It fails to launch. The dock icon changed to something generic and the system.log says as follows:

Apr 18 18:00:03 k-macpro login[383]: USER_PROCESS: 383 ttys000

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[411]: launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro [0x0-0x35035].iTunes[411]: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[411] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[179] ([0x0-0x35035].iTunes[411]): Exited with exit code: 215

I restarted the machine and same errors.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnwuch View Post

anyone else has problem with 10.2.2. It fails to launch. The dock icon changed to something generic and the system.log says as follows:

Apr 18 18:00:03 k-macpro login[383]: USER_PROCESS: 383 ttys000

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[411]: launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro [0x0-0x35035].iTunes[411]: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[411] Launch failed with error code -2857 (cfragCFragRsrcErr) for application /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Apr 18 18:00:38 k-macpro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[179] ([0x0-0x35035].iTunes[411]): Exited with exit code: 215

I restarted the machine and same errors.

Has anyone else noticed a bug in iTunes 10.2.2, where downloads do complete but don't transfer to the appropriate folder in the iTunes media folder thereafter? ie. they stay in the downloads folder as temporary files. (OS: Windows 7 Ultimate)