need help with bootcamp...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i recently installed 64bit windows with bootcamp on my 128gb ssd, and i partitioned 40 gb for windows 7. however... after using it for a week for two having ONLY installed microsoft office and this statistics (small program) softare, i realized i only have 8.56 gb free of 38.1?!

underneath windows hd i have both program files and program files (x86), and i checked the size of each folder under my windows hd, but the folder sizes only add up to 16 gbs at most. where did the rest of the 20gb go?! can anyone tell me? im guessing this is a bootcamp problem? also, i have parallels installed... could that be why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

i recently installed 64bit windows with bootcamp on my 128gb ssd, and i partitioned 40 gb for windows 7. however... after using it for a week for two having ONLY installed microsoft office and this statistics (small program) softare, i realized i only have 8.56 gb free of 38.1?!

underneath windows hd i have both program files and program files (x86), and i checked the size of each folder under my windows hd, but the folder sizes only add up to 16 gbs at most. where did the rest of the 20gb go?! can anyone tell me? im guessing this is a bootcamp problem? also, i have parallels installed... could that be why?

i realized, if i ran windows under parallels in macosx, there are 20.5gb free instead. what is this nonsense?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

i realized i only have 8.56 gb free of 38.1?!

That's Windows for you.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

i realized, if i ran windows under parallels in macosx, there are 20.5gb free instead. what is this nonsense?

It could be your virtual memory swap space. I think Parallels stores this on your Mac drive. You can set how much is used by Windows when it loads in the Windows system settings control panel > performance > advanced.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    blueeddieblueeddie Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's Windows for you.

lol seriously, screw windows. i was working for four hours the other day on a file that i downloaded and "open"ed instead of "save as.." and constantly saving the file as i work. little did i know that after i exited word, the temporary file that i kept saving is deleted. never happens on a mac

but anwyays, thanks marvin, do I access this settings from parallels? or bootcamp into windows?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

but anwyays, thanks marvin, do I access this settings from parallels? or bootcamp into windows?

Either one, it's inside the Windows operating system control panel.