Android fans accuse Apple of copying Samsung first

Comments

• Reply 41 of 304
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Samsung should innovate and be original if you want to compete, and stop the copycat balderdash.
  • Reply 42 of 304
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ObjectiveObserver View Post

Funny, I don't post on every article he does, just the ones where he is always wrong.

If that was true, then you'd never post.

I mean, for all your noise, you haven't shown where DED was wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 304
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They could do a lot more suing. The original Android project looked nothing like the iPhone.

After Google bought it and the launch of the iPhone then it looked a lot more like the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Big deal on the UI. Apple patented the design of the phone. They still would have sued. That and because Steve Jobs is a whiny bitch.

• Reply 44 of 304
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They could do a lot more suing. The original Android project looked nothing like the iPhone.

After Google bought it and the launch of the iPhone then it looked a lot more like the iPhone.

"A lot more like" is not the same as copied tho.
  • Reply 45 of 304
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    The important message here is that Samsung did not "copy" Apple's form factor.

Samsung already had the basic design of their phone in its final product even before the introduction of the iPhone.

Therefore, to claim that the newest Galaxy S devices "blatantly copy" ed the iPhone is pure nonsense. Samsung already had a design precedent in the history books. It's just a evolution of their older design to meet the needs of the market.

Going from a monotone color touch screen display to a full color LCD type display is an evolutionary step. Not something done AFTER the introduction of the iPhone.

Had Samsung came out with a product that had no full touch screen phone and "copied" Apple when it introduced the iPhone, the lawsuit would have MUCH better grounds. However, that isnt the case here.

The model was already in the building stages and was ready for introduction to the market.

Therefore, I dont see Apple winning on all of their allegations. Perhaps they will win some of them ( like they did in the Microsoft's case winning the "Recyle bin" logo and one other logo)

To add another point, I personally believe that Apple, sensing a impending market for full screen touch screen phones, greedily patented the form factor just to be on the safe side.
  • Reply 46 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

This is playground mud slinging. I'm surprised that even DED would stoop this low just to get a few more pageviews and ad dollars.

Once you read his article about he claims a google tried to silence him by tracking him via google maps on his iphone then having the google employee on a bicycle literally get hit by DED on his motorcycle....

stuff like this won't surprise you. He has such an ego, as if Google gives a shit about him. They pay his bills.
  • Reply 47 of 304
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Good reporting. Gotta keep 'em honest!
  • Reply 48 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

If that was true, then you'd never post.

I mean, for all your noise, you haven't shown where DED was wrong.

Or you can go to androidcentral and see no mention of apple whatsoever vs. apple insider with DED posting his never ending tyrade on not just android, but all things google.

It's so easy to call him out for the hypocrite he is. Why don't you read his last article complaining about how admob made no mention of irrelevant details about tablet's in their article?
  • Reply 49 of 304
    I love to sit back and watch as Jobs assumes the fetal position and sucks his thumb when he hears the word Android. LOL. You will never catch up to Android Jobs, Your new iPhone 5 is outdated before its even out.

Android rules.
  • Reply 50 of 304
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ObjectiveObserver View Post

As noted by others above, the iPod touch had already been around awhile (the first gen. iPhone was virtually identical in form factor to it). The Samsung says 'Music Player' across the top - if that wasn't a total rip-off of the iPod, I don't know what is. Case closed. I would love it if someone made a compelling competing device that wasn't an Apple clone, but so far, no such luck.

first Ipod touch was announced in 2007. In fact, when it was announced, people called it "The iphone for people without a cellphone contract" Something Steve Jobs used when he brought out the ipod touch 4th generation. Previous to 2007, you had the ipod "Classic" (just known as the ipod at that time) and the ipod nano.

And here's the problem with your wish: There are only so many ways you can make a touchscreen device. Period. Until we get things like Flexible screens, or they finally find a way to make a touchscreen with a thinner border, touchscreen devices will ALWAYS be large screens surrounded by a border (usually black since it provides the best contrast ratio to the screen). The phone will ALWAYS be rectangular, as the public has shown time and again they other form factors (the Kin puck, the Lotus Square, etc) aren't something they're interested in.

In fact, other form factors that were popular in the past (slide out keyboards, blackberry style keyboards) are disappearing as touch screen technology is quickly surpassing normal keys when it comes to usability, and customers are demanding smaller and lighter devices (or conversly, larger screens for media)

So you have the UI, but a icon based, grid UI is about as old as computer GUI's are. Large, touch friendly icons are currently the most efficient way to display things on a touch screen. Even WindowsPhone7, which looks VERY different, still relies on large, finger friendly "Tiles" (instead of icons) with some fancy screen transitions. WindowsPhone7 is most likely the biggest change to phone interfaces that we've had in years (at least a decade) but it's struggling because it's TOO different.

Issues with the actual OS itself aside, people are unwilling to consider it because of how the tiles look.

Will someone come up with a new device that will blow the iphone (and everyone else) out of the water like the original iphone did with current smartphones? Yes. but it will most likely use technology that's not commercially viable yet.

Something like this:

http://dvice.com/archives/2006/10/bl...ept-is-one.php

(As an aside, looking up technology concepts is a good time waister, it's amazing to see what people can come up with when they're not limited by current gen technology. That concept came out before even the iphone was announced)
  • Reply 51 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung already had the basic design of their phone in its final product even before the introduction of the iPhone.

Therefore, to claim that the newest Galaxy S devices "blatantly copy" ed the iPhone is pure nonsense. Samsung already had a design precedent in the history books. It's just a evolution of their older design to meet the needs of the market.

Going from a monotone color touch screen display to a full color LCD type display is an evolutionary step. Not something done AFTER the introduction of the iPhone.

Had Samsung came out with a product that had no full touch screen phone and "copied" Apple when it introduced the iPhone, the lawsuit would have MUCH better grounds. However, that isnt the case here.

The model was already in the building stages and was ready for introduction to the market.

Therefore, I dont see Apple winning on all of their allegations. Perhaps they will win some of them ( like they did in the Microsoft's case winning the "Recyle bin" logo and one other logo)

To add another point, I personally believe that Apple, sensing a impending market for full screen touch screen phones, greedily patented the form factor just to be on the safe side.

The lawsuit would make more sense if they sued the minute touch wiz came out, not years later.
  • Reply 52 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

... stop suing each other, and build great products instead. Eh?

People always say this as if it's somehow the last word, but it's just macho posturing.

It's as if the intent of the statement is to sort of say, "stop being a whiny baby and just do a good job," but if we are advising manufacturers to "grow up" or "work harder" or "do it better" or even "be a man about it" (the real message here), the first step on that road is to come up with your own f*cking ideas.

It could probably better be replaced with:

" ... stop copying others and build great products instead."
  • Reply 53 of 304
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

They still would have sued. That and because Steve Jobs is a whiny bitch.

Compared to your whining it’s hard to believe you could ever think someone else is whiny. Then again, I can tell when people are wealthy, smart and attractive so maybe you can.
  • Reply 54 of 304
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 767member
    Till a court decides or a settlement is reached, this is all sound and fury that signifies nothing.
  • Reply 55 of 304
    Quote:

The important message here is that Samsung did not "copy" Apple's form factor. Samsung already had the basic design of their phone in its final product even before the introduction of the iPhone. ...

WTF?!

Did you even read the article?

The article is a reasonably detailed and researched convincing argument as to how Samsung didn't actually have a product in the same shape and form factor as an iPhone before the iPhone came out. Further, the article explicitly shows you what Samsung's "look" was previous to the iPhone and how they completely changed it just after the iPhone came out to an "iPhone look." There are even statements on the record of Samsung execs talking about how they need to make their phones "look more like the iPhone."

How can you possibly just reply that it's the other way around? You can argue the points, but you aren't entitled to just make up your own facts.

Facts are ... well, facts.
  • Reply 56 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

The fandroids are right, the iPhone 1 to 3 design did copy something else that had been around for some time, they copied iPod Touch!

iPhone 1 didn't copy iPod Touch which had not been around for some time when they designed iPhone. iPod Touch was released several months after iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Compared to your whining it’s hard to believe you could ever think someone else is whiny. Then again, I can tell when people are wealthy, smart and attractive so maybe you can.

You are selling record phones.

You are selling record tablets.

You own the mp3 player market.

You probably will own the tablet market.

You own your accessories and 3rd party accessory makers.

You make more off each device you sell than any other.

You make more on apps than any other.

You are set to own the print market.

You are set to take over the portable gaming market.

And you still find it necessary to sue everyone on the planet, and now, even for the design and style of your phone.

That's a whiny bitch if I ever saw one.

No wait, that's a ball breaking bitch.
  • Reply 58 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

I love to sit back and watch as Jobs assumes the fetal position and sucks his thumb when he hears the word Android. LOL. You will never catch up to Android Jobs, Your new iPhone 5 is outdated before its even out.

Android rules.

Yes, you are correct! Android rules?among phones that are given away for signing up to a contract. You win. Now go away.
  • Reply 59 of 304
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The important message here is that the claim that Apple copied Samsung and that F700 was demoed and released before the iPhone is a lie. A lie you perpetuated and stood behind. I claim you have yet to admit was wrong.
  • Reply 60 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Android rules.

Android fan sites are just a click away.