Android fans accuse Apple of copying Samsung first

Comments

• Reply 121 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

If someone makes their career out of attacking other platforms and the users of those platforms, it's expected that people will react negatively.

I'd like you to find any other writer on Anything approaching a "major" blog that ONLY posts negative screed's like DED does. It doesn't exist, because most sites don't give those types of users a podium. Most sites ban those types of users.

Think about this for a second, DED made an entire "Article" to debunk a MEME that people were posting on internet forums.

This is like AndroidCentral, Droid Life, Phandroid, Androidpolice, or even just normal Tech sites like Engadget or Thisismynext making an entire "Article" based off of something someone uploaded to 4chan and it somehow made it's way to their comments.

He posted an "article" about a MEME just so he could attack Android users. And he published it to AI instead of his personal blog. How in the world can this type of "post" be "respected."

I dunno. BUT IMMA LOVIN' IT! CUZ IT DRIVES YOU CRAZEE! harharhar

• Reply 122 of 304
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hey guys, this is a lie?
  • Reply 123 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Steve Jobs WILL go down, if not already, in history as one of the elite entrepreneurs. Hands Down!!! So take your hate and GTFO Appleinsider!!

Maybe for you.. for majority of people he will be remembered as a totalitarian corporate technology dictator that was the very embodiment of the "Big Brother" concept, a crook and a thief (proven)... and not a very good human being too considering he screwed everyone in his life who meant something. Including Steve Wozniak who is really a sweetheart.

As far as I'm concern when he goes the world will be better off not worse. A model of super greed, proprietary platforms and lock-in business model fueled by lawsuits will fade away without him and more open models like Google's will open up progress and innovation.

The iOS on your phone hasn't really changed in 4 years.. how is that progress to you?! It's retarded.. he literally took the technology world backwards not forward.
  • Reply 124 of 304
    Hm. Majority are buying iPods and iPads and iPhones - OH MY!

Macs comin' up!

• Reply 125 of 304
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just to be clear, you think that could be confused with the iPhone or are you trying to draw some weird conclusion that anything beveled and/or chrome edge means that Apple has no case?

That's not what I'm claiming at all. You can skip my explanation if you want, since you'll just misquote it anyway.

Apple is stating that there are certain things that the "Consumer" identifies as being "Apple" beyond the software. They specifically listed certain aspects of the design of the phone, the packaging, etc.

I provided the link to show that SOME of those aspects were already being used by Samsung before the iphone came out.

And again, since you didn't get it the last few dozen times:

I BELIEVE APPLE HAS A STRONG CASE FOR PHONES LIKE THE VIBRANT but including OTHER phones (like the Transform and Nexus S) do not make sense.

I don't expect you to get that. So don't worry if you don't. It requires understanding the context of a conversation, and the fact that you can talk about portions of an argument (in this case, the lawsuit) without referencing it in it's entirely with EVERY freaking sentence like you assume that I am.
  • Reply 126 of 304
    Quote:

And aren?t they all from the 1960s. Can you call it stealing are non-competing products that are separated by nearly a half a decade and no longer on the market or could be confused with the current products?

Hey, that third one looks just like the case of our first TV. That was in 1957?but it was a 2-or-3-year-old Admiral. (I'm not sure exactly, I was 5 at the time....)

This AndroidDomination guy is a real hoot. I would say I want some of what he's smoking, but he must be mainlining some serious shit instead.
  • Reply 127 of 304
    Quote:

And aren?t they all from the 1960s. Can you call it stealing are non-competing products that are separated by nearly a half a decade and no longer on the market or could be confused with the current products?

Of course you can call it stealing.. it's a design piece, concept..it doesn't have expiration date.

And you can call it stealing because Steve Jobs admits himself they steal..

So wtf are we arguing here.
  • Reply 128 of 304
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

If someone makes their career out of attacking other platforms and the users of those platforms, it's expected that people will react negatively. ...

You mean like people react to you and sprockkets, the Google/Android tag team shills?

This whole story is not surprising as we see time and time again the amount of time, money and effort Google expends to rewrite history. In a few years, when the company has lost all remaining credibility, maybe they can just move and change their name.
  • Reply 129 of 304
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

And aren’t they all from the 1960s. Can you call it stealing are non-competing products that are separated by nearly a half a decade and no longer on the market or could be confused with the current products?

I would think not, and there would obviously be no claim for infringement. Had those been current products, and especially were the same devices, it would be a very different story. Being strongly influenced by the style of an earlier designer is fine I think.
  • Reply 130 of 304
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Just to be clear, you think that could be confused with the iPhone or are you trying to draw some weird conclusion that anything beveled and/or chrome edge means that Apple has no case?

Is there a :facepalm: thingy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno

Here is another phone that Samsung ANNOUNCED in 2006:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f500-1806.php

Notice, black phone, rounded corners, metal band around the side as an accent. The border along the top and bottom is larger than that of the side.

I'm not implying that Apple copied Samsung. I don't think they did. Again, there is only so many ways you can make a cellphone.

*Read* the post before you start frothing at the mouth. He's not saying that Samsung has a mortgage on "black phone, rounded corners, metal band". Far from it. He saying, quite clearly, I thought, that design does not occur in a vacuum.

FWIW, my opinion is that DED is clearly implying that Samsung managed to ape the iPhone in one month. That's absurd. You could hardly commission a mockup in that time.

It's not a question of who was first, rather the implication in the article that Samsung violently changed tack in the period of a month. The sequence of public reveals might *suggest* it but by no means does it come close to proving it. It's just as likely a coincidence. Depending on who you side with lies your belief.
  • Reply 131 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndroidDomination View Post

Maybe for you.. for majority of people he will be remembered as a totalitarian corporate technology dictator that was the very embodiment of the "Big Brother" concept, a crook and a thief (proven)... and not a very good human being too considering he screwed everyone in his life who meant something. Including Steve Wozniak which is really a sweetheart.

That’s some crazy tinfoil hat stuff.

Quote:

As far as I'm concern when he goes the world will be better off not worse.

Now it’s getting creepy. You aren’t planning to do anything to expedite that, are you?

Quote:

A model of super greed, proprietary platforms and lock-in business model fueled by lawsuits will fade away without him and more open models like Google's will open up progress and innovation.

Guess who else has a locked business model Google. Ask them for their search algorithms and see what they say.

Oh and let’s not forget Honeycomb. lol

Quote:

The iOS on your phone hasn't really changed in 4 years..

iOS hasn’t changed yet they are steal everything. They sound like pretty bad thieves then.

Quote:

how is that progress to you?! It's retarded..

Why don’t you check out the difference between iOS 1.0 and 4.x. The UI design is mostly the same, but iOS has changed extensively.

Quote:

he literally took the technology world backwards not forward.

The world would have been so much better with Android copying Blackberries.

PS: Were you molested by someone that looked like Steve Jobs. It’s the only explanation for your excessive and irrational vitriol.

PPS: Which platform do you think is bigger: Android or iOS?
  • Reply 132 of 304
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Of course you can call it stealing.. it's a design piece, concept..it doesn't have expiration date.

And you can call it stealing because Steve Jobs admits himself they steal..

So wtf are we arguing here.

Well no, I think technically you may be wrong. From the point of view of copyright/trademark or style, if you don't currently make or sell the product then you are not entitled to protect it in that sense, and it follows that it is not theft (or infringement). I'm sure that someone will correct me if that interpretation is incorrect.
  • Reply 133 of 304
    Quote:

Maybe for you.. for majority of people he will be remembered as a totalitarian corporate technology dictator that was the very embodiment of the "Big Brother" concept, a crook and a thief (proven)... and not a very good human being too considering he screwed everyone in his life who meant something. Including Steve Wozniak which is really a sweetheart.

As far as I'm concern when he goes the world will be better off not worse. A model of super greed, proprietary platforms and lock-in business model fueled by lawsuits will fade away without him and more open models like Google's will open up progress and innovation.

The iOS on your phone hasn't really changed in 4 years.. how is that progress to you?! It's retarded.. he literally took the technology world backwards not forward.

-Apple brought you the first "commercial" and usable PC, the Apple II.

-Apple brought you the first PC with a GUI (forget the PARC shit, Apple gave them shares in return and XEROX was to stupid to see what hey had), which Desktop publishing was born from!!

-Apple brought you the first PDA (yes PDA was coined by a Apple executive), the Newton.

-Apple brought you the first successful, user friendly, and ready to use MP3 player (and I can honestly say, the iPod is and has always been the best MP3 player EVER!)

-Apple brought you the first legal digital music/media distribution platform, iTunes.

-Apple brought you the first "real" phone/internet in you hands and by far the FUCKING BEST mobile operating system EVER with the iPhone.

-And last but not least the first usable and functional Tablet PC with the iPad!

So yea I say the World is a better place because of Apple and piss you for saying such shit about a man who is by far WAY out of your league, has accomplished more in one day than you have all your life and that has come close to death! Have a little respect for your elders Bro!!

Funny you mention Steve Woz. Just recently he said he would love to work at Apple under Steve. Also idiot, if you read, read iWoz. The man has nothing but total respect for Steve Jobs!!
  • Reply 134 of 304
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Maybe for you.. for majority of people he will be remembered as a totalitarian corporate technology dictator that was the very embodiment of the "Big Brother" concept, a crook and a thief (proven)...

You're talking about Eric Schmidt, right? Your description is picture perfect.
  • Reply 135 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Is there a :facepalm: thingy?

*Read* the post before you start frothing at the mouth. He's not saying that Samsung has a mortgage on "black phone, rounded corners, metal band". Far from it. He saying, quite clearly, I thought, that design does not occur in a vacuum.

FWIW, my opinion is that DED is clearly implying that Samsung managed to ape the iPhone in one month. That's absurd. You could hardly commission a mockup in that time.

It's not a question of who was first, rather the implication in the article that Samsung violently changed tack in the period of a month. The sequence of public reveals might *suggest* it but by no means does it come close to proving it. It's just as likely a coincidence. Depending on who you side with lies your belief.

I'll also add to that one of my earlier posts:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=18

Quote:
    Originally Posted by menno

You want a Touchscreen based interface, so obviously you'll want to limit the number of buttons/put them on a slide out keyboard. Touchscreen interfaces will have to be larger than traditional screens, both because of increased content and because a finger is a lot less accurate than navigating with a wheel.

Touchscreens, particularly capacitive ones, require a border around them for the screen to function.

The Standard Cellphone shape (since it's inception) is that it will be taller than it is wide. Companies try the square phone thing (LG LOTUS) but it has limited appeal. 90%+ of phones are rectangular. A majority of phones are also black.

There really are only so many ways you can design a touch screen phone. Sure, you can add a ton of buttons to it if you want a keyboard on the front, but those are just extra features.

Remember, by this time, the "Razr" craze was in full swing, and thin was in. Companies were looking to cut down on as much bulk as they could, and customers had shown that they were willing to trade functionality to the "cool" factor of having a slim device.

Here is another phone that Samsung ANNOUNCED in 2006:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f500-1806.php

Notice, black phone, rounded corners, metal band around the side as an accent. The border along the top and bottom is larger than that of the side.

I'm not implying that Apple copied Samsung. I don't think they did. Again, there is only so many ways you can make a cellphone. Apple DOES have a case with touchwiz (especially the icons). But unlike what DED and others are trying to imply, it's highly unlikely the F700 was going to look like those other phones he linked. Did they tweak it after the iphone announcement? Maybe. But they started off with a design that was more than likely very similar.

See, when I was responding to you, I was including a lot of this same information. Since we were still on the first page of responses, I had assumed you had read them, so you would get why I linked that phone initially.
  • Reply 136 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You mean like people react to you and sprockkets, the Google/Android tag team shills?

This whole story is not surprising as we see time and time again the amount of time, money and effort Google expends to rewrite history. In a few years, when the company has lost all remaining credibility, maybe they can just move and change their name.

Hey, nice of you to join us annonymouse! I see you are now claiming that google rewrites history! Quite funny because this has nothing to do with android or google!

I know you keep thinking I own an android phone and that's the best strawman argument you have, showing how incapable you are of using any of the other 40 logical fallacies, but I'll keep saying it for the 50th fucking time, I don't own one.

Have a nice day!
  • Reply 137 of 304
    Quote:

That?s some crazy tinfoil hat stuff.

Now it?s getting creepy. You aren?t planning to do anything to expedite that, are you?

Guess who else has a locked business model Google. Ask them for their search algorithms and see what they say.

Oh and let?s not forget Honeycomb. lol

iOS hasn?t changed yet they are steal everything. They sound like pretty bad thieves then.

Why don?t you check out the difference between iOS 1.0 and 4.x. They UI design is the same, but iOS has changed extensively.

The world would have been so much better with Android copying Blackberries.

PS: Were you molested by someone that looked like Steve Jobs.

Love it Thanks. He is clearly an idiot and half insane
  • Reply 138 of 304
    This thread is fun. I never encounter these people in my non-virtual social circles.
  • Reply 139 of 304
    Quote:

This thread is fun. I never encounter these people in my non-virtual social circles.

Likewise. Most of the people I know can follow a conversation.
  • Reply 140 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You're talking about Eric Schmidt, right? Your description is picture perfect.

That dude just flat creeps me out!!