Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple crossed another major milestone in its second quarter of fiscal 2011, surpassing Nokia for the first time ever to become the world's largest phone vendor in terms of revenue.

The significant achievement was noted on Thursday by research firm Strategy Analytics. According to Reuters, Apple's iPhone revenue of $11.9 billion surpassed Nokia, which saw its revenue shrink to $9.4 billion.

"With strong volumes and high wholesale prices, the PC vendor has successfully captured revenue leadership of the total handset market in less than four years," analyst Alex Spektor said.

AppleInsider first reported in January that Apple had surpassed Nokia in terms of revenue. Those numbers were based solely on Nokia's Devices & Services division. But the company's total sales, with more than just smartphones, were over $11 billion.

Since then, Nokia's revenue has shrunk even further. Apple, meanwhile, has continued to grow, placing its entire phone business comfortably ahead of Nokia by more than $2 billion.

Apple on Wednesday announced that its quarterly profits increased 95 percent in the second quarter of fiscal 2011, which covers the January through March period. Apple was propelled by sales of 18.65 million iPhones, which grew 113 percent year over year.

iPhone sales for Apple continue to grow at an astronomical rate, as sales this past quarter were the company's best ever. The 18.65 million units sold even bested the previous holiday quarter, in which a then-record 16.2 million iPhones were sold.

While Apple has grown to new heights quarter after quarter, rival Nokia has struggled. The Finnish handset maker ousted its CEO last year, and made Microsoft veteran Stephen Elop its new chief executive.

In his short time at Nokia, Elop has made drastic moves, most notably the decision to abandon the "burning" Symbian platform and instead adopt Microsoft's Windows Phone for its new handsets. Nokia will transition to Microsoft's mobile operating system this year and next, as it moves away from Symbian.

Both Apple and Nokia are also entrenched in a number of lawsuits related to patents. The first shot in the legal battle was fired by Nokia in October 2009, when it accused Apple's iPhone of violating patents related to GSM and wireless LAN technology. It is believed that Nokia's losses in the market prompted the company to sue over the alleged use of 10 patented wireless standards in the iPhone.

Apple responded to Nokia with its own lawsuit, accusing the Finnish company of infringing on 13 iPhone-related patents. The battle of the two smartphone giants is expected to drag out for years, with both companies looking for a court hearing to be held in 2012. The U.S. International Trade Commission -- the group with which the complaints were filed -- has agreed to look into both Nokia's and Apple's complaints against the other.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple crossed another major milestone in its second quarter of fiscal 2011, surpassing Nokia for the first .

It's the beginning of the end.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Of course all the Apple haters will only look at the numbers sold.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Of course all the Apple haters will only look at the numbers sold.

Numbers sold or not, it's clear which company is in control of the lions share of the actual monetary profits/revenue.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmoe View Post

Nokia will regain the leadership because of the deal with Microsoft. Nokia?s Phone 7 will dominate. http://www.digitalundivide.com

Are yu being serious or just trolling?
  • Reply 5 of 101
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

He has two posts in the counter. Let's make an educated guess, shall we?
  • Reply 6 of 101
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

He's probably quoting Ballmer. Here's another chesnut: "There is no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market."
  • Reply 7 of 101
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 8 of 101
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Nokia will regain the leadership because of the deal with Microsoft. Nokia?s Phone 7 will dominate. http://www.digitalundivide.com

Yeah thats likely...
  • Reply 9 of 101
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

He's probably quoting Ballmer. Here's another chesnut: "There is no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market."

By golly - if Ballmer said it, it must be true.

<exit irony_mode>
  • Reply 10 of 101
    I was hoping to see two comparison graphs side by side: volume and revenue (or better yet profitability).

It would be quite astonishing to see the volume/revenue comparison of each, and realize just how hard Nokia has to work to stay in the same spot.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

I am serious. The force of Microsoft and Nokia?s combined is unbeatable.

It was already beat... twice... by Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I am serious. The force of Microsoft and Nokia?s combined is unbeatable.

Use 'the force' Balmer (you'll need it).
  • Reply 13 of 101
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Use 'the force' Balmer (you'll need it).

Why does that bring up the image of the creepy old pedophile in Family Guy for me?
  • Reply 14 of 101
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    "Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue"

I.e., if you can convince consumers to pay the Apple tax, you can make a boatload of money...
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

"Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue"

I.e., if you can convince consumers to pay the Apple tax, you can make a boatload of money...

• Reply 16 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Geez! I see good things for the MS/Nokia deal and like WP7, yet I don?t think that will happen.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:

Nokia will regain the leadership because of the deal with Microsoft. Nokia’s Phone 7 will dominate. http://www.digitalundivide.com

Well, let's see. Microsoft hasn't taken market share without having copy and coerce since Windows and Office. They've had their ass handed to them by Apple with the iPod, the iPhone and now the iPad. Microsoft has been fumbling around in the dark since, making piss-poor moves over and over to no effect, period. (Don't get me started on the latest versions of Office and Windows).

Nokia? They're getting their ass beat so bad they've taken to suing Apple rather than rely on their R&D and marketing to get them to the top. I've yet to see anything from them close to the iPhone or even Android that would make me give up my iPhone.

Both of these companies merging is like throwing an anchor to a drowning man. They're both going down.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

..... if you can convince consumers to pay the Apple tax, you can make a boatload of money...

Hell, that's easy .... just make a product that's worth it. See how easy that was? What I don't get is how you, and others of the same ilk ... including other phone makers ... don't understand that. Of course, it's possible that you do ..... you just don't have an answer for it. This is not a good time for Apple haters, is it?
  • Reply 19 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    When the iPhone was first launched before Android became available, it was many Nokia fans decrying how Nokia phones were already ahead of the iPhone, and that the iPhone would never be accepted in Europe.

None of those people are around any more.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its that simple huh..........

Quote: