Behind Apple's record sales are signs of desperation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Wow. I wish I could have that five minutes of my life back... What a nonsense article. "Signs of desperation". Yes, Windows "won". Yes, Android "won" in the smartphone space. Yes, Android may "win" in the tablet space. And what has Apple done while "losing"? Become more successful than ever before.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow. I wish I could have that five minutes of my life back... What a nonsense article. "Signs of desperation". Yes, Windows "won". Yes, Android "won" in the smartphone space. Yes, Android may "win" in the tablet space. And what has Apple done while "losing"? Become more successful than ever before.

News just in: despite being the second most valuable company in the world with cash reserves in excess of $50 billion, it seems Steve Jobs' recent leave of absence may have been due to a failed suicide attempt after being so depressed about how Apple could possibly top the last iPhone. It seems that making it thinner and faster just won't cut it this time.

As Apple has said before, the media loves a failure. They want to see people rise to the top and then see them crumble because perpetual success gets old and nobody reads old stories.

The conclusion was quite laughable, talking about how competing Chrome OS, MeeGo and WebOS solutions are beating Apple to the big cloud war of the future. Clearly the cloud is where the article writer lives.

They are talking about WebOS that sold so poorly the company had to be bought by HP. MeeGo, which has been abandoned by Nokia and likely Intel who are moving to Android. The less said about Chrome OS the better - it seems to be meant for people whose laptops keep getting repeatedly destroyed while the servers and ISP they connect to never suffer an outage.

I also don't think these writers quite realise how much money Apple make:

they have $50,000,000,000 and 35,000 employees. That company won't have problems for the next 50 years.

There is not a single hint of any slowdown whatsoever - they have a mobile platform of 180 million units in just 4 years tied into iTunes exclusively.

Ah well, I'm sure it's clear by now these people have some sort of agenda to manipulate rather than report the current situation. After all, Apple competitors getting their asses handed to them time and time again must be really hurting some investors somewhere and since those competitors don't have any creativity it seems, the media is all they have left.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

News just in: despite being the second most valuable company in the world with cash reserves in excess of $50 billion...

$67 billion now, I think.

I love how "analysts" can still spout this crap when Apple continues to have record revenue and profit every quarter and did so through the entire recession.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

the media loves a failure. They want to see [...]

"LoveS"? Since when ARE the media singular?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Galbi"s postings are signs of desperation.

How to resolve the terrible cognitive dissonance? Apple is seemingly unstoppable, growing by leaps and bounds, raking in money hand over fist, creating new markets seemingly at will, and threatening to dominate what is arguably going to be the post-PC platform or record.

And yet Galbi knows they are dreadful, controlling, their customers are all sheep, Steve Jobs is a Hitlerian monster, and a future full of citizens content with their Apple gear is a dystopian nightmare where all freedom has been surrendered to Cupertino.

What to do? Comb the internet for whatever half-assed bit of link-baiting wish fulfillment one can find, apparently.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How to resolve the terrible cognitive dissonance? Apple is seemingly unstoppable, growing by leaps and bounds, raking in money hand over fist, creating new markets seemingly at will, and threatening to dominate what is arguably going to be the post-PC platform or record.

And yet Galbi knows they are dreadful, controlling, their customers are all sheep, Steve Jobs is a Hitlerian monster, and a future full of citizens content with their Apple gear is a dystopian nightmare where all freedom has been surrendered to Cupertino.

What to do? Comb the internet for whatever half-assed bit of link-baiting wish fulfillment one can find, apparently.

I don't think one reads The Register with any other expectations. It's written by and for crackpots.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Perhaps in your ill fated world that is the case.

I'm bringing reality to the fore front, keeping fans in check.

People should be well rounded in regards to what is going on in this world.

A one sided view can distort many truths.

I bet you've already taken a look at my prior posts. No?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

The conclusion was quite laughable, talking about how competing Chrome OS, MeeGo and WebOS solutions are beating Apple to the big cloud war of the future. Clearly the cloud is where the article writer lives.

IT people love the "cloud" because they don't understand how it is mostly a marketing ploy by the likes of Cisco, HP, and IBM to sell more big servers and routers -- a market where all of them are rapidly losing ground. The vision of "cloud computing" cannot scale to mobile devices unless you have a very efficient, distributed approach to data handling -- spectrum limitations won't allow anything more. As it stands, Apple is the only one that is anywhere close to pulling this off, due to the way they can integrate hardware and software for greatest optimization of the data path.