Apple's next MacBook Pro lineup will feature a new case design - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    This is indeed a great news for me. I hope they ditch the optical drive, put more than two USB 3.0/Thunderbolt ports, use SSDs as the standard storage, have 1080p display with a better color profile as the default display, improve the speakers (more bass would be welcomed) and reduce the weight of 15" by 500g while maintaing the strength of the material. This would be a MBP I have been waiting for sometime and would buy without wasting any time. I hope they wouldn't go for the tapered design of MB Air, as I don't like it.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it? I recall the HP EliteBook having an option for an IPS panel that was $550 more. That may be lower now since I assume they didn?t sell well.

I also seem to recall a review (maybe from AnandTech) that stated the overall quality wasn?t worth the money and that Apple?s quality TN panels weren?t too far off, especially at the upgrade price. I?d much rather see the rumoured double resolution displays as noted in Lion.

Very interesting, I haven't seen that before. It makes me wonder whether he actually looked at the screens, instead of just measuring them.

Just to give you an example, just search the amazon reviews on, say, LG5300 television and see that this particular tv set is either absolutely loved or absolutely hated by customers. Why? Because LG decided to play a "panel lottery", in which, randomly, some of the TV's had IPS panels (apple uses these in iphone, ipad, cinema display, imac) and some TN panels (apple uses these in macbooks and mbp's). Guess which ones were the hated ones? With poor color accuracy and viewing angles, something that Anand didn't say a word on?

TN should be made illegal, and those who charge $3k for a MBP like mine with such poor viewing angles, unnatural looking whites, poor color accuracy compared with even the iphone/ipad screens should offer a public apology.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Is it? I recall the HP EliteBook having an option for an IPS panel that was $550 more. That may be lower now since I assume they didn?t sell well.

I also seem to recall a review (maybe from AnandTech) that stated the overall quality wasn?t worth the money and that Apple?s quality TN panels weren?t too far off, especially at the upgrade price. I?d much rather see the rumoured double resolution displays as noted in Lion.

What display type is the ipad??? Its pretty good.

I do agree Apple displays are better. Went to a Best Buy for a look around, and Mien Gott! the display reading angles for PC's(non-Apple) are atrocious. There only seemed to be one viewing angle and that was it. My old T-40 has IPS, works great.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Downtown Montreal Store (there is 2 other stores in Montreal). Even if you assume they service every mac sold in Montreal, its still a lot. They should add more people at the Genious Bar because having to make an appointment just to drop something for repairs is pretty stupid. Not to mention there is a 30 to 45 min wait even with an appointement. And the fact THEY DIDNT CHECK if the repair actually solved the problem is pretty bad. Next time I am going to verify in the store to make sure it works before I leave.

It's unfortunate that you've had a bad experience, but I wouldn't assume it's the typical Apple experience. Apple hardware is regularly near the top of customer satisfaction and reliability surveys. Although their laptops are about average with the rest of the industry and the desktops are at the top of the chart.

I also don't take my experience to be typical. I've owned Macs since about 1990, and I've never had to send one in for any sort of repairs (I did have an Apple monitor that was sent back for repairs). I've never purchased AppleCare, and only twice have I had failures that would have been covered if I'd had AppleCare. One was a failed harddrive, which I replaced myself for about 1/3 the price that AppleCare would have cost me. And one was an iSight camera that stopped working. But since I never used it anyway, no loss (and another $300 +/- saved not getting AppleCare).

I'm not saying AppleCare isn't worth it for some folks. Just that Apple's hardware is mostly of good quality. Although not as good as it used to be, it's still as good or better than most of the rest of the industry.

But back on topic:

- Get rid of the optical drive (I still use mine occassionally, but rare enough that an external drive is a viable option)

- Good chance FW will be dropped, they can include a TB-FW adaptor in the box

- I question if the 17" will still have an ExpressCard slot once TB gets more established

- I doubt they'll eliminate the hard drive, external as some have mentions just isn't a viable option for most people. But they may go with a hybrid or dual drive (one SSD, one hard drive). The SSD will be on the motherboard like the current Air, and could have a read-only partition that contains the things you'd normally have on the install DVD.

- Still no USB 3 (I know some of you will whine about that. )
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Just purchased a MacBookPro 17 to replace my 6 year old PowerMac G5 Dual.

I am disappointed in the lack of eSATA and USB3, but other than that, I am really happy with the machine. I purchased the 17 specifically to get the ExpressCard slot, giving me eSATA (and others).

Personally, I use the optical drive quite a bit, and I think the display is stunning.

It would be good if Apple provided an option to replace the optical drive with an SSD.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

What display type is the ipad??? Its pretty good.

I do agree Apple displays are better. Went to a Best Buy for a look around, and Mien Gott! the display reading angles for PC's(non-Apple) are atrocious. There only seemed to be one viewing angle and that was it. My old T-40 has IPS, works great.

IPS, which gives me hope that if anyone can figure out how to mass produce an inexpensive, low-power IPS panel it’s Apple. But again, their TN panels are top notch and I’d rather go for higher pixels (once Lion is out) than for an IPS with the same resolution options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I question if the 17" will still have an ExpressCard slot once TB gets more established

What are the arguments for keeping EC/34 aside from “I already bought an EC/34 card for my previous machine”?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

It would be good if Apple provided an option to replace the optical drive with an SSD.

• Reply 27 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,337moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by romandoc View Post

How about a friggin IPS screen, totally appropriate in a $2k+ laptop, so I won't get an instant headache and eyestrain when looking at the screen.

I would say as long as it doesn't increase the price significantly but the displays really could use some improvement.

The SSD move is a must and dual drives would be great. Toshiba are going to 19nm NAND so they can get a 128GB boot drive by default with options up to 512GB, maybe even 1TB with any HDD options up to 1TB.

Ditch the optical, put 2 x USB 3.0 ports on, 2 x Mini-DP/TB ports and ditch FW800 and ethernet to shrink the enclosure down to about 0.8" tapering to something a little thinner but not too much that it hampers battery capacity.

Lastly, some better cooling design, maybe perforate the base or just have a vent that sucks cool air in from the left side and out the right side - it could even suck air in from the left speaker grill and out the right one. Nothing beats good airflow for cooling and the MBP just seems a little too tightly sealed up.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Lastly, some better cooling design, maybe perforate the base or just have a vent that sucks cool air in from the left side and out the right side - it could even suck air in from the left speaker grill and out the right one. Nothing beats good airflow for cooling and the MBP just seems a little too tightly sealed up.

Simply by removing the optical drive they can regain that 5.25? of port-side space. That means laying the logic board about along the entire backside which one 1) will allow for separating the CPU and GPU a little more to allow more even heat distribution, and 2) getting all the components closer to the air vents between the hinges to allow for less travel to cool.

11? MBA
    13? MBP
  • Reply 29 of 72
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Steve said "touchscreen interface does not work for notebooks" last time, so you can be sure that next generation notebooks will support multi-touch display.

Maybe the screen will fold completely backwards such that MacBook Pros could be used as "Big" iPads....
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Steve said "touchscreen interface does not work for notebooks" last time, so you can be sure that next generation notebooks will support multi-touch.

Maybe the screen will fold completely backwards such that MacBook Pros could be used as "Big" iPads....

Mac notebooks have supported multitouch for years on the trackpad. I don?t see the primary display being the primary input when you have a mouse and keyboard and your display is vertical. I also don?t see Apple trying to make a hybrid notebook and tablet at this point; I?d expect Apple to make the multi-tocuh glass trackpad an AMOLED display that would come on for certain tasks.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    Quote:

I?m still hoping for dual internal drives. One the SSD card, the other a 7mm or 9.5mm HDD/SSD.

Yes please!

A modest capacity SSD boot/app drive, say 128GB, would give great speed benefits yet not be too expensive. Then a regular rotating platter HD would take care of mass storage needs. Best of both worlds at a reasonable price!

We have a MacPro workstation set up this way and it's great. Boot and app launch times are 3-4 times faster.

I'd be happy to outboard my MacBook Pro's optical drive, something I find myself using maybe once every two or three months.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Mac notebooks have supported multitouch for years on the trackpad. I don?t see the primary display being the primary input when you have a mouse and keyboard and your display is vertical. I also don?t see Apple trying to make a hybrid notebook and tablet at this point; I?d expect Apple to make the multi-tocuh glass trackpad an AMOLED display that would come on for certain tasks.

They should have let us plug in our iDevices for that in current macs already. I know there are 'Apps for that' but native support would be amazing.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's unfortunate that you've had a bad experience, but I wouldn't assume it's the typical Apple experience. Apple hardware is regularly near the top of customer satisfaction and reliability surveys. Although their laptops are about average with the rest of the industry and the desktops are at the top of the chart.

I also don't take my experience to be typical. I've owned Macs since about 1990, and I've never had to send one in for any sort of repairs (I did have an Apple monitor that was sent back for repairs). I've never purchased AppleCare, and only twice have I had failures that would have been covered if I'd had AppleCare. One was a failed harddrive, which I replaced myself for about 1/3 the price that AppleCare would have cost me. And one was an iSight camera that stopped working. But since I never used it anyway, no loss (and another $300 +/- saved not getting AppleCare).

I'm not saying AppleCare isn't worth it for some folks. Just that Apple's hardware is mostly of good quality. Although not as good as it used to be, it's still as good or better than most of the rest of the industry.

The Apple store tech just called me to say the manager has approved of replacing the laptop by a new one instead of repairing it. Pretty happy with the decision since it was defective from the start. For having seen the prices of the repairs I think the applecare plan is a must, especially since Macs don't seem to be easy to repair like pc's are.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

... or more likely an incorrect prescription for corrective lenses, or the lack of a correct one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I can't speak to whether a friggin IPS screen would be improvement over the current MBP screen, but if you're getting instant headaches you might want to consider urgent medical attention. Could be a stroke or maybe a form of epilepsy.

The leading cause of seizures in the U.S. is tapeworm infection. I just thought I'd point that out.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by romandoc View Post

OR it could be an intentional exaggeration to underline the fact that the screen is shitty, a 6bit TN panel coupled with white LEDs that do, in fact cause headaches and eyestrain after a much shorter time than it should.

Funny, because all the reviews I've read (even in PC-land outlets) stress out how good those screens are, on par or a notch above the best laptop screens out there...
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I can't speak to whether a friggin IPS screen would be improvement over the current MBP screen, but if you're getting instant headaches you might want to consider urgent medical attention. Could be a stroke or maybe a form of epilepsy.

I'd try an I test first. You may need glasses, dude!
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'd try an I test first. You may need glasses, dude!

So an iExam and eye exam aren't the same thing?
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Yes please!

A modest capacity SSD boot/app drive, say 128GB, would give great speed benefits yet not be too expensive. Then a regular rotating platter HD would take care of mass storage needs. Best of both worlds at a reasonable price!

We have a MacPro workstation set up this way and it's great. Boot and app launch times are 3-4 times faster.

I'd be happy to outboard my MacBook Pro's optical drive, something I find myself using maybe once every two or three months.

My MBP has had that setup for over a year. There is no going back to a HDD for the boot drive. Having iTunes load in 1 second with no bouncing in the dock is just too nice.

I had to take my MBP into Apple for service. The Geniuses didn't care about my Optibay installation, which technically voids my warranty, and instead were intersted in it. They did say that if I shipped my MBP to Apple they might be a less forgiving but it likely wouldn't matter unless the drive was deemed the culprit.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

Simply by removing the optical drive they can regain that 5.25? of port-side space. That means laying the logic board about along the entire backside which one 1) will allow for separating the CPU and GPU a little more to allow more even heat distribution, and 2) getting all the components closer to the air vents between the hinges to allow for less travel to cool.

11? MBA
    13? MBP

I'm surprised Stevo allows those labels not to be straight!
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Please lord jobs...

I'd jump on the boat for removing the optical drive. I used mine once in the year and a half life of my laptop, and it was an OS install that can now be done via memory stick. They could make it thinner, pack in more battery, allow discreet graphics on the 13', more efficient cooling, etc.

NICE! this is exactly what i was imagining/hoping for with the last round of MBP rumors, and i never saw a mockup as good as this. the liquid metal makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons if it is doable. and to all the people calling for a tapered body.. that is NOT a good idea. the MBP is supposed to be powerful, giving it a taper will take away from that, not to mention the needless homogenization of the macbook aesthetic. the squared off frame is where it gets all it's sense of power, and with a darker tone it will look awesome!