Apple to sell iPad 2 in Japan, white iPhone 4 around the world Thursday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday officially announced that the iPad 2 will debut in Japan, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE this week [updated].

Update: Apple issued an official press release Wednesday morning announcing the expansion of the iPad 2 to 12 new countries. The second-generation device will be sold in Japan on Thursday, while the remaining countries will be able to purchase it this Friday.

The IPad 2 will be available at Apple retail stores at 9 a.m. local time, select Apple Authorized Resellers, and online through the Apple Store beginning at 1 a.m.

The iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will also be available in China beginning Friday, May 6.

Earlier Wednesday, business daily Nikkei (subscription required) said the iPad 2 is set to be available this week at the seven retail stores run by Apple in Japan. In addition, customers in the Land of the Rising Sun will also be able to buy the touchscreen tablet at SoftBank stores, and via Apple's website.

The iPad 2 was originally set to launch in Japan along with 25 other countries on March 25, but Apple delayed that launch after the deadly earthquake disaster. The company said the delay would allow its teams to focus on recovery, rather than launching a new product.

Following the massive tragedy in Japan, Apple's retail stores were said to have become a rallying point for citizens. Crowds reportedly flocked to Apple's stores to gain INternet access, and recharge their phones so they could make calls and reach loved ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    going to Verizon to pick one up.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    The iPad 1 poster at my local reseller was being changed just after they closed this evening... Here we go.

No mailing from Apple about it, yet...

Apple USA's homepage has the announcement about the White iPhone and the iPad 2 in Japan tomorrow. Apple Japan still hasn't updated their homepage. Come on...!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Pricing for Malaysia:

http://www.machines.com.my/ipad2.html

($1 USD = 3 RM)
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Awesome! Good to see Apple hasn't completely ignored India this time around. The original iPad was launched only in January this year, and the iPhone 4 is still not available.

The latest laptops/iMacs etc. generally show up within a week or two, and now the iPad2 has joined the list. Hope the trend continues.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The iPad 1 poster at my local reseller was being changed just after they closed this evening... Here we go.

No mailing from Apple about it, yet...

Apple USA's homepage has the announcement about the White iPhone and the iPad 2 in Japan tomorrow. Apple Japan still hasn't updated their homepage. Come on...!

Hi Berger, how are you doing? What's your plan in obtaining the iPad 2? How is Japan? Sounds crazy over there... Japan online store should have it available within the next hour or so, right?

Just curious...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Awesome! Good to see Apple hasn't completely ignored India this time around. The original iPad was launched only in January this year, and the iPhone 4 is still not available.

The latest laptops/iMacs etc. generally show up within a week or two, and now the iPad2 has joined the list. Hope the trend continues.

The iPad marketing push is very aggressive. Never expected Malaysia to get the iPad2 so soon, and pricing for iPad1 and iPad2 is pretty much the lowest in the world in USD equivalent, outside of the US and Hong Kong.

Very surprising how there is still no iPhone 4 in India though.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Yay! I should be getting mine on Friday! Finally!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

FINALLY!! Although, they're still gonna be marked up a ridiculous amount. \ Apple still needs to open up a few Apple Stores in India. Yes. I'm kicking that comatose horse again. Until Apple does that, Apple products will remain a curious anomaly in India. There are plenty of Apple retail outlets in India, but the "salespeople" don't know crap about Apple products.

My suggestion: a couple stores in Mumbai, one in Bangalore, one in Hyderabad, one in Delhi.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

FINALLY!! Although, they're still gonna be marked up a ridiculous amount. \ Apple still needs to open up a few Apple Stores in India. Yes. I'm kicking that comatose horse again. Until Apple does that, Apple products will remain a curious anomaly in India. There are plenty of Apple retail outlets in India, but the "salespeople" don't know crap about Apple products.

My suggestion: a couple stores in Mumbai, one in Bangalore, one in Hyderabad, one in Delhi.

Indian law prohibits multiple retail stores by one owner. There is only one Wal-mart in the country. So India can only have one company owned Apple store.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Now, the only key missing is the specific date right?

Couldn't believe Thailand is not in the list again.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hi Berger, how are you doing? What's your plan in obtaining the iPad 2? How is Japan? Sounds crazy over there... Japan online store should have it available within the next hour or so, right?

Just curious...

Hi Suni.

Plan to get mine first thing in the morning at a store that had ten people waiting last year when the date was well known in advance. I expect just a few people to get there before opening; it was only officially announced late last evening and I received mail from Apple at 1:03 am. Most people won't know until sometime tomorrow.

Things here are moving along slowly. Down where I am we haven't been impacted that badly; no blackouts, but a few shortages of some items and a jump in the price of gas. Up in the affected areas, though improving, things are still really tough.

The online store will start taking orders tomorrow.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Indian law prohibits multiple retail stores by one owner. There is only one Wal-mart in the country. So India can only have one company owned Apple store.

Not True. Indian Law only prevents MNCs in Multi-brand retail (like walmart) from having more than 25% stake. This is primarily to protect the local mom-and-pop retailers (basically the same fight that the americans are in).

Single-brand retail is allowed, and there are a lot of international brands that have shops all over india, especially in the clothing, and other luxuries ....

I think apple has just no been focusing on asia in general, and india in particular, and ceding ground to samsung in the process...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Just a few hours to go... have to decide soon which model to go for: 16, 32 or 64. This time around I will get the 3G version.

As I plan to play with iMovie, is 32 enough or should I go for 64?

And what color for the smart cover?

Oh, so many choices, so little time (and no sleep).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Just a few hours to go... have to decide soon which model to go for: 16, 32 or 64. This time around I will get the 3G version.

Go with your heart.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Go for the biggest size you can afford. You would be amazed how quickly it all adds up. I have gigs and gigs worth of apps, let alone photos, music etc.

I recommend the sky blue cover. It looks nice and clean however some people prefer the louder colours. I have heard mixed reports about the leather ones. As for the dock, it isn't as good as I was hoping. It is a bit tricky to put in without scratching your iPad at night, so you have to do it slowly...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Just looked at the Japanese site, and still unable to buy at present. Will check back in another hour or two
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Well, my Mac lady won't have them at her store at launch. There goes my advantage.

I have called another one of the stores, and they didn't expect too many people (yeah, right) and took my name and number and said, "Don't come early, we'll call you!". I plan on doing no such thing as waiting by the phone! I've called for a sub for my morning classes, and I will go to a different shop on the list Apple was kind enough to put up on the Apple Hong Kong website. I plan on arriving at 9am and waiting for them to open at 10am (I hope there's no press there). There are no stores in Hong Kong that open earlier than 10am, and they won't open early.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Just curious about why you decided to go for the 3G version. For the difference in cost you can get a 3G router, and you won't have the muffled sound quality. Are there any other advantages of the 3G version besides mobility? Does the 3G version have GPS while the WiFi version only has WiFi triangulation? Is that a big deal?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kensingtonjapan View Post

Just looked at the Japanese site, and still unable to buy at present. Will check back in another hour or two

Tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just curious about why you decided to go for the 3G version. For the difference in cost you can get a 3G router, and you won't have the muffled sound quality. Are there any other advantages of the 3G version besides mobility? Does the 3G version have GPS while the WiFi version only has WiFi triangulation? Is that a big deal?

Decisions, decisions.

My main reason is actually my desire to help a few people around me. Completely non-technical, the added complication of the second wifi device turned them off when I first tried to introduce the iPad, though they were very interested in the iPad itself. Two have health issues that could be helped by moving to an iPad as it would allow them to sit comfortably on the sofa instead of crouched over a desk with a bad back or neck. Any trade-offs I might suffer are worth the cost if I can help improve their health.

Regarding sound quality, I am happy with making "rough takes" on the iPad. My work requires much higher recording levels anyway and we have plenty of good equipment at work, including portable recorders capable of 24 bits at 96 kHz (Zoom H4N).