Apple issues statement on iOS location controversy, says fix is coming

Comments

• Reply 41 of 237
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As webfrasse stated, you just go to www.apple.com. They have a predictive search in the upper left corner. the page for their press releases is simply www.apple.com/pr. There isn?t a site is easier to traverse.

Which is true, but at the same time, it's typically a good idea to list your sources if you're going to post an article on a press release, or a leak, or something similar
  • Reply 42 of 237
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phxdoc View Post

So Apple admits that storing the data for so long and transferring it to itunes is a bug, and also that storing the data with location services turned off is a bug with a fix coming soon. No data was transferred to Apple with any personal info attached. As I tell my 14-year-old, it take more guts and shows more character to say that you were wrong about something than to continue to deny it,

Only if what you are admitting is true an not hiding a bigger lie.
  • Reply 43 of 237
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

That was neat and clear. I can't think of anyone to continue filing lawsuits after that simple and easy to grasp statement. Well done Apple.

Unfortunate it takes a lawsuit or two and an investigation by the FCC to get Apple to do this.
  • Reply 44 of 237
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...The lunatic fringe won't ever go away.

...I know you're out there...

Back on topic, this was an excellent response from Apple. Let the conspiracy theorists think what they will, there's no convincing them anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I saw dozens of commenters on Engadget being tinfoil-hat-y calling it a bunch of lies and a cover.

And I'll bet it's the same reaction to the posting of the long-form birth certificate. And on the same day, no less.
  • Reply 46 of 237
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have GPSDrive HD-a great app. It not only aquires my location in seconds, which is something my car GPS device owning friends can't say about their units, but I can also activate it when driving down the highway, which is something theirs can't do at all.

I assume it's because of this database. If so, then it's too bad it is being shortened, as it's a very useful thing to have.

I wonder if third party navigation apps would be able to set up their own cache of this info without the short time limit. I don't see why it would be disallowed as long as you have a chance to agree to it...
  • Reply 47 of 237
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

Apple has not given a specific and credible explanation of how information the user has permitted to be stored by one application is protected from use by all other applications (and hackers). Apple has not provided a specific and credible explanation of how the user may gain access to specific items of information permitted to be stored.

Yes they have. It's very clear. Read it again.
  • Reply 48 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Engadget is a cesspool of 14-yr old trolls and fanboys. The click-bait articles the editors post don't help, either.

As for the press release, hopefully Al Franken can STFU now. Stick to SNL skits, Mr. Senator.

Agree completely, though I think it's a fairly seamless transition from SNL to the US Senate. (The Senate's funnier of course.) Too bad we never did get a Senator Blutarsky.
  • Reply 49 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have TomTom and it connects quickly. Love that app! Does your car GPS have access to A-GPS connectivity or have to rely soley on GPS data?

I’ll try to do some tests to see if there is any difference between TomTom and Maps, which I assume does use this crowd sourcing DB.

AGPS, because that's what Apple's devices have. It fixes the location within five seconds except when in my house, where it takes fifteen. But it also fixes the route info if we're driving at 60 miles an hour. I don't know of any other unit that will allow you to enter a destination while driving, and find the route, within seconds!

Quote:

That’s the first thing I thought of but came to the conclusion this doesn’t really fix those issues. You need a mapping software for Maps and access to traffic info for traffic. They can subscribe to the traffic info and they already bought a company for mapping. I think this is solely to get an idea where their devices are being used.

edit: Maybe the first thought is the correct one.

From what they say, it's not to know where their devices are being used, but to map the towers so that when you do need a location, it will be faster to find one. Same thing for the WiFi points. It also helps them let the carriers know where a tower might be needed. But the info itself isn't sent to the carrier.
  • Reply 50 of 237
    I still have the original iPhone, which uses the long-in-the-tooth iOS 3.1.3. Apple never said anything about how many iPhone models contain this bug, or how far back they will update iOS to fix it.
  • Reply 51 of 237
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I wish I understood better why GPS needs a WiFi hotspot database to be speedy. GPS originally was for military applications right? Missile tracking and such. Surely such a system does not take, as Apple claims, "several minutes" to return a result?

Aren't those satellites constantly broadcasting - surely you just need to listen for a second or two? Or was the system built with the assumption that the thing you are locating is high and fast moving?
  • Reply 52 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I wonder if third party navigation apps would be able to set up their own cache of this info without the short time limit. I don't see why it would be disallowed as long as you have a chance to agree to it...

Probably not. If Apple's going to limit it to seven days, then I imagine the apps would be required to respect that.
  • Reply 53 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

I still have the original iPhone, which uses the long-in-the-tooth iOS 3.1.3. Apple never said anything about how many iPhone models contain this bug, or how far back they will update iOS to fix it.

Not yours.
  • Reply 54 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wish I understood better why GPS needs a WiFi hotspot database to be speedy. GPS originally was for military applications right? Missile tracking and such. Surely such a system does not take, as Apple claims, "several minutes" to return a result?

Aren't those satellites constantly broadcasting - surely you just need to listen for a second or two? Or was the system built with the assumption that the thing you are locating is high and fast moving?

It depends on how many satellites the receiver is designed to pick up. More expensive models can pick up three times as many as cheaper devices. The more that are picked up, the faster the device can locate.
  • Reply 55 of 237
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just as there's a handful of members here who do the conspiracy theory dance with Google's response to StreetView questions. ...

There's no conspiracy theory, it's just obvious that Google is lying because their "inadvertent" excuse isn't credible when you consider they had to be seeing all the private data they collected go into their database for years.

There is absolutely no similarity between these issues.
  • Reply 56 of 237
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Good response. It can't get clearer than this.

What I find interesting is this as well:

Quote:

In the next major iOS software release the cache will also be encrypted on the iPhone.

Probably a system wide encryption in iOS 5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

this is what i care about:

Apple is now collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic database with the goal of providing iPhone users an improved traffic service in the next couple of years.

looks like apple is planning on either replacing google maps with their own system.

At the very least, replacing the traffic info from google maps with their own data, but that seems unlikely.

Apple bought a mapping company called Pacebase two years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they did replace Google maps on all iOS devices.
  • Reply 57 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Now that we are told the phone keeps the information for over a year, they are going to turn it off?

Too bad. I got a kick out of seeing where I had been, and like photos, and a journal, helped me remember things I had forgotten.

Sounds like a great app we could install that would maintain a history for us.

I agree with you. When people is aware this is rather a feature.

By far, I'm more concerned of slow geo-tagging and augmented reality service than curious and tech -savvy thieves.

I WOULD LIKE

- an option/setting about how many days iOS has to retain Locations history (never, 7 days/default, 30 days, 1 year, always)

-an option of iOS doesn't deleting all past history whenever I disable Locations (when I use private browsing, Safari doesn't delete all past history and cache...)
  • Reply 58 of 237
    Quote:

AGPS, because that's what Apple's devices have. It fixes the location within five seconds except when in my house, where it takes fifteen. But it also fixes the route info if we're driving at 60 miles an hour. I don't know of any other unit that will allow you to enter a destination while driving, and find the route, within seconds!

From what they say, it's not to know where their devices are being used, but to map the towers so that when you do need a location, it will be faster to find one. Same thing for the WiFi points. It also helps them let the carriers know where a tower might be needed. But the info itself isn't sent to the carrier.

If your Application was using that database to lock a location, it should still work fine, even with the shortened amount of data.

Google Maps with Navigation (Android) allows you to set destinations on the fly and locks within seconds (providing you're outdoors) so I think that's more a feature of Cellphone technology more than anything else. The Cache can help, but your iPhone app should be fine with a limited one, as long as it is accurate.

I would be so lost if I didn't have GPS on my phone. I don't care what OS you have, the ability to get navigation on your phone is awesome.
  • Reply 59 of 237
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

It depends on how many satellites the receiver is designed to pick up. More expensive models can pick up three times as many as cheaper devices. The more that are picked up, the faster the device can locate.

So perhaps there is an element of economics in the decision to have a hotspot database.
  • Reply 60 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

wifi hotspots will help if you're located in an area where you don't get a clear signal to the sky because of weather, buildings, etc. Additionally, I'm sure those Military grade GPS units have more powerful antenna's than anything you can fit in a phone.

I have an older Garmin unit and it could take an insanely long time to get an initial lock. If I didn't drive anywhere without it turning on, it found my location almost instantly. But if I went somewhere first? It would be better to turn it on, and then go make myself a cup of coffee.