Apple may have purchased iCloud.com domain for $4.5M - rumor

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In what may serve as further evidence of an impending cloud-based iTunes service, a new report claims Apple has purchased the iCloud.com domain from the Swedish company Xcerion for $4.5 million.

GigaOM reported late Wednesday that a source familiar with Xcerion claims that the desktop-as-a-service company sold the domain to Apple. Earlier this month, Xcerion rebranded its iCloud service as CloudMe and moved its website to CloudMe.com.

However, at the time of the report's writing, the Whois database still listed Xcerion as the owner of iCloud. The iCloud.com domain currently redirects to CloudMe.com.

Last week, reports emerged that Apple had "completed work" on a cloud-based iTunes music streaming service where users could access music stored on a remote server. According to one report, Apple has reached an agreement with Warner Music, the third-largest record label, that would include cloud services.

The iTunes cloud service is also rumored to be free at first, though Apple is expected to charge for it eventually.

Also adding to the mounting evidence of a streaming music service from Apple is the fact that Apple indicated in February that its brand new 500,000 square-foot server farm will support iTunes and MobileMe.

Apple plans to spend as much as $1 billion on the data center, which is located in Maiden, N.C. Environmental protection group Greenpeace recently called out Apple for using some of the "dirtiest" electricity in the country for its center, which could effectively triple the company's energy usage.

In February, the Wall Street Journal reported that Apple plans to revamp its MobileMe service with cloud-related enhancements.

Rival Amazon launched a Cloud Drive service last month, but has reportedly faced backlash from the music industry for initiating the service without renegotiating licenses with the labels. Cloud Drive offers users 5GB of free storage (or 20GB for $20 annually) that can be accessed via an Android device or Amazon's Cloud Play service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This points to the service not be tied to MobileMe, though I’m sure it’ll be the same iTS account across the board.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Sorry Apple, but that's a crap name.

Maybe they just bought it out to avoid confusion when they release the revamped Mobile Me.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think this will surely replace MobileMe. But cloud is still somewhat of a technical term, not sure how much it is understood by the general population yet.

I am getting the yearly email to renew my MobileMe right now, not sure if icloud will have email or just data, will I want to switch, or will they automatically switch me, or what...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    I read that Mordor, sorry, Murdoch is offering MySpace for 450 mill, wouldn't that have been a nice purchase for Apple? With all the bands and musicians, shurely a nice add-on for iTunes? With an Apple-fuelled UI upgrade that might turn into a fun and useful place to go again...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Domain Name: ICLOUD.COM

Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com

Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

Name Server: NS55.WORLDNIC.COM

Name Server: NS56.WORLDNIC.COM

Updated Date: 28-apr-2011

Creation Date: 15-jan-1999

Expiration Date: 15-jan-2018

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:59:59 UTC <<<
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

I read that Mordor, sorry, Murdoch is offering MySpace for 450 mill, wouldn't that have been a nice purchase for Apple? With all the bands and musicians, shurely a nice add-on for iTunes? With an Apple-fuelled UI upgrade that might turn into a fun and useful place to go again...

Not sure why Apple would need mySpace to do that... They could just set up a similar service without the stigma that mySpace has.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

Murdoch's folly is going for less than $100 million sometime this week. For a loss of $480 million or more.

Apple doesn't want that turd.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Not sure what you are on about; it's a perfectly apt name. Apple makes/sells iProducts and services, this is their cloud service.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    Tried to sign up, and their service doesn't support Safari... \
  • Reply 10 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Maybe they just bought it out to avoid confusion when they release the revamped Mobile Me.

If they were going to buy icloud for that then they would buy cloudme as well. Cause that's how Apple rolls.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Seems reasonable to replace iDisk with iCloud. Fits with the whole Mac AppStore push.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not sure what you are on about; it's a perfectly apt name. Apple makes/sells iProducts and services, this is their cloud service.

Well iCloud means Internet Internet, which is funny, but not all that bad.

The problem is that Apple don't own the mindshare for "cloud" like they do Pod, Pad and Mac. iCloud just sounds like Apple's version of something that everyone else is doing, not something new.

They should stick with Mobile Me or go with a name they could own the mindshare of that reflected what the service is, like iMesh or something.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Seems reasonable to replace iDisk with iCloud. Fits with the whole Mac AppStore push.

I think you got it. Makes sense to rebrand the failed iDisk if they want people to look at differently.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But cloud is still somewhat of a technical term, not sure how much it is understood by the general population yet.

Actually, cloud is a marketing term that has no solid technical meaning. Basically "cloud" is the new buzzword for old fashined hosted services. See Play Station Network and Verizon's LTE network for two different examples of why companies and individuals should be warry of falling for the cloud hype with any data or services that are important to them.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Actually, cloud is a marketing term that has no solid technical meaning. Basically "cloud" is the new buzzword for old fashined hosted services.

Maybe that's what it is now, but 'cloud' was used as slang for 'a network of connected devices' long before the marketing guys picked up on it.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    January 5, 2000... iTools,

July 17, 2002 ... .Mac,

July 9, 2008... MobileMe,

September 2011... iCloud...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

July 17, 2002 ... .Mac,

January 5, 2000? iDisk (as part of iTools)

July 17, 2002 ? iDisk (as part of .Mac)

July 9, 2008... iDisk (as part of MobileMe)

May 10, 2011? iCloud (as part of MobileMe)
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    1986 ... AppleLink

1994 ... eWorld

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

July 17, 2002 ... .Mac,

• Reply 19 of 25
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Maybe that's what it is now, but 'cloud' was used as slang for 'a network of connected devices' long before the marketing guys picked up on it.

The original use of "cloud" that I recall was basically as referring to some nebulous portion of a network that moved data around but you didn't control it or really know, or care, about the details of it, as in, "the ATM cloud". (Depicted by the little cloud image in the middle of the network diagram.) In that sense, the Internet is the cloud today, and "cloud services" is just a cute way of referring to Internet based services. It's true, though, that the marketing guys have turned the cloud into more of a fog or haze, similar to blue smoke.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I wonder how much it'll cost Apple to buy the iTV.com domain name. Presumably a whole lot more, since ITV apparently has quite the legal team.

Then again, the asking price should go down after the whole Royal Wedding thing is over.