Pop music and the evilness of it all

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
posted 12-11-2002 07:44 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinkin about pop music in general what makes it evil is the corporate-ness of it and the artificiality of it all. Of course sometymes pop music is INSANELY horriable but thats because we only listen to the music. most pop acts arent signed because they have mucho musical talent but rather, that they have a marketable image.

When you buy an nstink cd, you dont buy music, you but a "product" which will eventually include the rest of the marketing scheme (dolls, key chains etc)

Thats the evilnes of it. ALSO that the songs are pre-fab. an Nstink song is no different from a BackStreet girls song...

I was watching some thing on MTV where the dude froom jimmy eat world was saying that its mush harder to write a concise pop song than it is to do something more "free form" and experimental.

i hate it when the corprate giants try to sell us image instead of music. that is the problem the pop acts are victims of the image selling....

i KNOW that other bands have their own merch (i have an AFI hoodie) patches and shyt, but what I'm trying to convay is that the pop industry uses it the wrong way....

You see, like some one mentioned before, with the TV shows, the girl band boy band shyt.....they are making not music, but an image to sell to the people.....All the audtions focus on how well you dance and how sexy you look. Is that music?

I think not...

Another point that was mentioned, is that Yes, people can listen to whatever they want to, i'm not ragging on them just because they like a certian music....what I'm raggin on is, wheather or not their in it for the music or pure image....I know alot of people who talk about how BSB is soooo hot, and when i ask them what their fav song is and WHY their at a loss for words...

It saddens me that SOME people nowadays dont listen to the music any more.....They want kute guys (or in the rock sence, to be the most gory as possiable)....

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: pyroMacbabe ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by pyroMacbabe:

<strong>

I was watching some thing on MTV where the dude froom jimmy eat world was saying that its mush harder to write a concise pop song than it is to do something more "free form" and experimental.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course. Pop songs are very contained entities governed by likeability and the quality of the hook. For Every "Heart of Gold" and "Southern Man" type song, Neil Young had at least 10 "Cortez the Killer," "Down By the River," and "Goin Home" free-form type songs. That's not to say that those latter songs were not as artistically viable. Jimmy Eat World's quote spoke of that contrast between the two types and I pretty much believe it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    damn
  • Reply 3 of 3
    TTT