Apple preparing to introduce Sandy Bridge iMacs early next week - sources

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple as early as next week will deliver a much-needed refresh to its iMac line of all-in-one desktops, adopting Intel's newest family of Core processors and the latest in personal computing I/O technology, AppleInsider has learned.

More specifically, people familiar with the matter say Apple plans to introduce the new models on Tuesday, May 3, swapping out the systems' first-gen Core i processors and miniDisplay ports for second-generation Core i chips and the company's new high-speed Thunderbolt port. However, rumors that 2011 would see changes to the iMacs' display panel size (1, 2) and the inclusion of 6000-series AMD Radeon HD chips, could not be confirmed with any degree of certainty.

In the days leading up to major product launches, Apple routinely makes certain requests of its various operating segments to assure the rollout goes as smoothly as possible. This week saw several of those measures put into place, according to those same people, who've continually provided accurate information when it comes the Mac maker's future plans.

In addition, people familiar with the Cupertino-based company's retail operations confirmed to AppleInsider that a "visual night" is similarly slated for the early morning hours of May 3rd. "So it is highly likely that whatever new product that is going to be refreshed or introduced will be done on [that day]," one of those people said.

These visual nights see several Apple retail employees in each location work throughout the evening and early a.m. hours, making significant modifications to the product layouts on the showroom floors, often removing previous generation products in favor of newly introduced models.

For Apple, next week's launch will mark the first time the company has refreshed its flagship desktop line in over 9 months. It also comes at a crucial time for the iMac -- and Mac desktops in general -- which are rapidly approaching an all-time low when it comes to their share of the Mac's product mix.

As Apple slowly transitions into a full-fledge mobile company, desktops have seen their share of Mac shipments slip into a slow but inevitable decline, falling from more than 50% of the company's Mac product shipments in the first quarter of 2006 to just 26% of the total units Mac units shipped during the second fiscal quarter of 2011 (see graph below).

As consumers increasingly grow accustomed to mobile computers, Apple faces a tall order in attempting to keep the desktop relevant in today's climate. As such, the company is said to be exploring designs that could shed as much as 50% off the footprint of future models by 2012, mirroring a pattern that's become evident in the big-screen TV market.

Thunderbolt iMacs are just the first of several Mac product refreshes Apple has planned for the months leading into and through this year's educational buying season. Versions of the company's hot-selling MacBook Airs are next to receive the Thunderbolt while adopting Intel's latest low-voltage Core i chips.

Those notebooks, which are slated to go into production near the tail end of May, should hit the market sometime in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I am definitely in the market. I need to find a good home for this perfectly fine core duo 20". I would keep using it except it is EOL since it can't run Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In the last earnings conference call, Tim Cook said he saw a future for both the iMac and Macbook Pro form factors. I personally buy iMacs because I don't like the cramped keyboard, lack of ports and slower graphics of laptops. Also the price on the iMac is more attractive. If the computer will just sit on your desk anyway, you can save a lot by getting an iMac instead of MBP + Cinema Display.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Definitely getting one of these. Thunderbolt is a fabulous I/O port and I can't wait until Lacie puts out their new drives with it. Sandy Bridge is the speed update I've been waiting for to make the base end model good enough for my needs. Money's strapped as a college student, so I've been waiting to make the most out of my purchase.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Apple slowly transitions into a full-fledge mobile company, desktops have seen their share of Mac shipments slip into a slow but inevitable decline, falling from more than 50% of the company's Mac product shipments in the first quarter of 2006 to just 26% of the total units Mac units shipped during the second fiscal quarter of 2011

Will it eventually end up being that most purchases will be from iOS developers??
  • Reply 5 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

In the last earnings conference call, Tim Cook said he saw a future for both the iMac and Macbook Pro form factors. I personally buy iMacs because I don't like the cramped keyboard, lack of ports and slower graphics of laptops. Also the price on the iMac is more attractive. If the computer will just sit on your desk anyway, you can save a lot by getting an iMac instead of MBP + Cinema Display.

1) I think the iPad will bring a surge back to iMac, which seems to be holding its ground against other vendors? desktops sales in comparison to notebooks.

2) What is cramped about the keyboard or are you not comparing it to Apple?s BT keyboard but some 3rd-party keyboard?

3) Do you use the Magic Trackpad?
  • Reply 6 of 122
    One of the beneficiaries of cloud based itunes might be the iMac, which will enable iTunes users to stay synchronised between iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV and iPad.

Also, the halo effect of iPad and iPhone seems to be holding Apple desktop sales at a flat level, whilst PC manufacturers are in decline.

I believe the market is now between;

i. low end mobile laptop users, who opt for low end Windows machines or tablet format devices.

ii. high end mobile laptop users / users who use a mobile with screen, keyboard, mouse as a combo desktop / mobile device. More often, these users are turning to Macbook Pro's / Airs

iii. low end desktop users, who use very basic desktop machines running Windows

iv. mid to high end desktop market, with a growing percentage of users opting for Apple machines

v. High end gamers / hobbyists who like to optimise their hardware and therefore opt for windows based machines

Given Apples strengths are in the mid to high end markets, I don't see them worrying too much about the percentage of sales swinging towards mobile devices if overall sales of desktops can be maintained flat, or even decrease to say 500,000 units per quarter. It would still be a multi-billion dollar business in it's own right. Given the the OS, and many software / hardware design elements are shared between the mobile and desktop machines, it does help to manage the cost base.

If the drive is to making the footprint smaller, then the lessons of the Macbook Air and iPad will be of great benefit.

Phil
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Will it eventually end up being that most purchases will be from iOS developers??

In case you missed it:
    • iPhone OS is now simply “iOS”;

• Mac OS X is now simply "iOS Development Platform”.

~ dsandler, June 7th, 2010
  • Reply 8 of 122
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple should include matte displays, at least as an option. Otherwise (all glossy displays), no purchase!
  • Reply 9 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What do you think caused the decline of desktop? You can develop for iOS on a MacBook just fine. I personally have at least one of each computer they make, but I think a desktop is more comfortable to use than a notebook.

I'm curious why many people choose the notebook instead of a desktop. Is it because they don't have enough room for it or that they can only have one computer so they want it portable?

Maybe iPad + iMac will become a popular setup. Personally I wouldn't want to give up any of my Apple form factors.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I think the iPad will bring a surge back to iMac, which seems to be holding its ground against other vendors’ desktops sales in comparison to notebooks.

Yes, iMac + iPad is my setup actually.

Quote:

2) What is cramped about the keyboard or are you not comparing it to Apple’s BT keyboard but some 3rd-party keyboard?

I don't like keyboards that don't have separate cursor keys and the page up/page down/home/end keys. When I buy my iMacs I BTO to get the wired keyboard. The numeric keypad is largely useless but not those other keys.

Quote:

3) Do you use the Magic Trackpad?

I own one but can't get used to it, so use the mouse. That is probably another reason I don't like laptops.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I personally have at least one of each computer they make, but I think a desktop is more comfortable to use than a notebook.

Maybe iPad + iMac will become a popular setup.

Quote:

1) I think the iPad will bring a surge back to iMac, which seems to be holding its ground against other vendors? desktops sales in comparison to notebooks.

This is true. I was planning of buying a MacBook Pro, but with my purchase of an iPad (which fits my mobile needs better than a MBP) I'm now looking to pick up an iMac. The combo fits each situation far better than just a MBP and costs the same too.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I own one but can't get used to it, so use the mouse. That is probably another reason I don't like laptops.

I couldn?t go back to a desktop until a trackpad became an option. Now it?s just a matter of preference since I travel with my 13? MBP. When I settle down I?ll probably get an iMac and finally get some real use of my iPad (outside of playing chess, Words with Friends and Angry Birds on the toilet ).
  • Reply 13 of 122
    Quote:

Angry Birds on the toilet

Is that a new title?
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Quote:

I'm curious why many people choose the notebook instead of a desktop. Is it because they don't have enough room for it or that they can only have one computer so they want it portable?

For me, it's the latter. I also often use the computer in the liunge, whilst watching TV, which is a lot easier than using a desktop.

Also, 99.5% of the time, the tasks I need to do, can easily be completed on either a notebook or desktop. It is only about 0.5% of tasks which would benefit from being on a desktop environment.

Phil
  • Reply 15 of 122
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should include matte displays, at least as an option. Otherwise (all glossy displays), no purchase!

Yeah, they should totally include an option for INFERIOR displays, with an added filter that REDUCES the optical clarity and diffuses the image, just for that minority of people that can't control the lighting at their home/work environment and can't stand a few reflections...
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

I also often use the computer in the liunge, whilst watching TV, which is a lot easier than using a desktop.

I used to do that too, however since acquiring my iPad, I rarely use my MBP now except when traveling or giving a presentation. I just leave the iPad on the coffee table. Very handy to quickly look up a sports stat while watching TV.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    Quote:

I couldn?t go back to a desktop until a trackpad became an option. Now it?s just a matter of preference since I travel with my 13? MBP. When I settle down I?ll probably get an iMac and finally get some real use of my iPad (outside of playing chess, Words with Friends and Angry Birds on the toilet ).

Good luck with that. I am useless at Angry Birds, I get frustrated and quit the app.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Is that a new title?

Yep, new title, Angry Birds on the toilet, but instead of the birds saying "ahaaa" as they are slingshot to their target. It is more of a "uuuuuuggghhhhh" and if you hit a pig, instead of the "poof", it's more of a 'kerplunk - splash'!
  • Reply 19 of 122
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    I like how they call this thread 'Breaking News'. Theres no substantiation, no details or features listed not even the usual glimmer of a mention of anything other than next tuesday. Well being that this story is so bland it's probably true.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

It'd be great if Apple uses non reflecting museum glass displays for the new iMac (and their Macbooks later on in the year)!