Apple's new Thunderbolt iMacs get Boot Camp update, dual-monitor out

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday quickly released an update to address issues with Boot Camp on its new iMacs. Also, the new 27-inch all-in-one desktop supports two monitor outputs via its two Thunderbolt ports, and orders can ship with a Magic Trackpad instead of a Magic Mouse at no extra cost.

Boot Camp 3.2 Update for iMac

Buyers of the newly released Thunderbolt-equipped iMac can download Boot Camp 3.2 Update for iMac direct from Apple. The 638KB update is only applicable to the early 2011 model iMacs.

Apple said the update addresses issues with Japanese and Korean keyboards on the early 2011 iMac. Boot Camp is Apple's software that allows users to install Windows 7 on their Intel-based Mac.

Apple issued a similar fix in April for its new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pro models. That update also addressed shutdown issues, but some users reported it caused problems with adjusting the screen brightness.

27-inch iMac supports up to three displays

Apple's new big-screen 27-inch iMac, released on Tuesday, comes with two Thunderbolt ports for both high-speed input/output and Mini DisplayPort support for additional monitors. The inclusion of two Thunderbolt ports means the iMac can support three displays, when combined with the 27-inch screen on the all-in-one machine.

Engadget put the new feature to the test, hooking two 30-inch Dell displays up to the two Thunderbolt ports on the 27-inch iMac. The end result was a total of 11,878,400 pixels spanning three displays, which can be seen below.

Magic Trackpad now available at no extra cost

When ordering the new iMac from Apple's website, customers can now choose between the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Previously, the Magic Trackpad, which was released last July, had to be purchased separately.

Customers who want both a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad can have both for an additional $69. And the wired Apple Mouse is an option as well, available at no extra cost.

The new iMacs released on Tuesday also include the option of a solid state hard drive in both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models. Custom orders built with the second flash-based drive will have Mac OS X and applications installed by default on the faster solid-state drive. The second, 7200rpm, traditional hard drive can then be used to store media and files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Does the IMac still function as an external display? Just the 27"?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Does the IMac still function as an external display? Just the 27"?

Both.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Some TV company - I think it was Samsung - is now promoting a TV with a very thin, almost nonexistent, bezel. The iMac needs to be redesigned along those lines. No bezel, all display. That would make the present iMacs look really dated by comparison.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Some TV company - I think it was Samsung - is now promoting a TV with a very thin, almost nonexistent, bezel. The iMac needs to be redesigned along those lines. No bezel, all display. That would make the present iMacs look really dated by comparison.

Now with 100% more chin!

Because the hardware has to go SOMEWHERE.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both.

Thanks.

That article says only Thunderbolt-equipped Macs - like the new MBPs - can use the newest iMac as an external display. I'm surprised. Was looking forward to using the new iMac as a display as well.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    rtkanertkane Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both.

"However, to do so, you?ll need a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac".
  • Reply 7 of 33
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and orders can ship with a Magic Trackpad instead of a Magic Mouse at no extra cost.

That's a lot of magic.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    scaramanga89scaramanga89 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Thanks.

That article says only Thunderbolt-equipped Macs - like the new MBPs - can use the newest iMac as an external display. I'm surprised. Was looking forward to using the new iMac as a display as well.

That's a stroke. Less than a year old hardware isn't compatible?

Poor form Apple. But to be expected.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

That's a stroke. Less than a year old hardware isn't compatible?

Poor form Apple. But to be expected.

I have to agree. We've got a Macbook Air that would have been handy to use with the iMac as a display. Definitely disappointing but like you say I shouldn't be overly surprised.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    I just want to use the 21.5" model with an existing 22"LED LCD to create a dual monitor setup (of course with the right TB to HDMI adapter).
  • Reply 11 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I have to agree. We've got a Macbook Air that would have been handy to use with the iMac as a display. Definitely disappointing but like you say I shouldn't be overly surprised.

Is it an artificial limitation or a HW/driver limitation that makes it incompatible? Did they promise this feature?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

The iMac needs to be redesigned along those lines. No bezel, all display.

I think the bezel serves a purpose though. You can adjust the tilt of the screen without getting fingerprints on it.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it an artificial limitation or a HW/driver limitation that makes it incompatible? Did they promise this feature?

There's an article on Macworld that says it's incompatible but it doesn't say why. Perhaps it is an incompatibility without reasonable workaround.

Did they "promise" it? I don't think they ever promise anything - especially not in terms of feature life-cycles. Or features for unreleased products. Not sure what you're asking.

But I'd say the expectation that the new iMac could accept a mini-DisplayPort output as an input was reasonable. I thought one of the TB selling points was its wide compatibility with legacy connections.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and orders can ship with a Magic Trackpad instead of a Magic Mouse at no extra cost.

That is nice since the mouse is unusable iMO.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is nice since the mouse is unusable iMO.

That Magic Mouse seems to have been quite an experiment and I wonder how many consumers actually prefer it.

It's one thing to put it out there as an innovation, but to tie it to a $1,000+ purchase is crazy.

Since first noticing the mouse in the early years, Apple never seem to have grasped the clear superiority of the two button mouse - left click means the default action, right click shows you the alternative actions. Since the PC world got it right, Apple seem to be locked into determinedly proving them wrong, without success.

Sometimes I think Apple needs a Think Normal department.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

That Magic Mouse seems to have been quite an experiment and I wonder how many consumers actually prefer it.

It's one thing to put it out there as an innovation, but to tie it to a $1,000+ purchase is crazy.

Since first noticing the mouse in the early years, Apple never seem to have grasped the clear superiority of the two button mouse - left click means the default action, right click shows you the alternative actions. Since the PC world got it right, Apple seem to be locked into determinedly proving them wrong, without success.

It took me ages to get used to the magic mouse, but now I have I wouldn't be without it. It is without question the best mouse I have ever used. Right button works fine on it for me.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Magic Mouse replaced Logitech Revolution with trepidation. I don't regret the change. I love the ease of scrolling with tough and the two finger gesture is used all the time. It's a win.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

TUAW has the skinny:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/targe...acs/2#comments
  • Reply 19 of 33
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I love the Magic Mouse. I didnt' like the Mighty Mouse at all and replaced it with a Logitech Mouse.

And, right click and left click work just fine with it. Switching over from PCs, I was used to right clicking, so I enabled it on the mouse. Problem solved.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I love the Magic Mouse. I didnt' like the Mighty Mouse at all and replaced it with a Logitech Mouse.

And, right click and left click work just fine with it. Switching over from PCs, I was used to right clicking, so I enabled it on the mouse. Problem solved.

I agree that the mighty mouse was terrible. That little ball was ridiculous. Definitely form over function.

I love the touchpad on my Macbook pro and would go for the trackpad on the iMac - especially if it doesn't cost extra.

When I first got the Macbook pro last year, I tried tap to click for a little while and shut it off. Now it is one of my favorite features, I never use the embedded button any longer.

When they first got rid of the buttons on the touchpad, I thought it was another form over function design choice, but I was WAY wrong on that...