Photo shows alleged 7th-gen multi-touch iPod nano with 1.3MP camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yet another piece of evidence shows that the next iPod nano will retain its same small form factor and multi-touch screen, but add a camera to the rear side of the diminutive device and strangely ditch the built-in clip.

A picture claimed to show the alleged seventh-generation iPod nano appeared on Monday on the website tw.apple.pro (via Google Translate). The report claims that the camera is a low-resolution 1.3 megapixel lens.

Crediting a source named "Ray" from California, the site suggests that the next iPod nano will not include a clip as the current model does. Placing a clip on the back of the device would cover the camera lens on the supposed device.

Tuesday's picture is not the first report to suggest that Apple could add a camera to its multi-touch iPod nano. In early April, an unverified photo showed an alleged seventh-generation iPod nano frame with space in the back for a rear-facing camera.

The Taiwanese Apple blog has correctly leaked each of the previous six generations of the iPod nano. Last year, they leaked photos of a tiny touchscreen that went on to become the multi-touch display for the sixth-generation iPod nano, released in 2010.

The larger fifth-generation iPod nano, released in 2009, did have a camera, along with the classic-style iPod click wheel. But the camera was ditched in the 2010 model, allowing Apple to create an even smaller device driven by a multi-touch display.

Adding a camera to the iPod nano once again could appease some critics who were disappointed that the feature was removed last year. But removing a clip from the rear of the device would also be a detriment, as the small size and inclusion of an integrated Nike+ pedometer has made the sixth-generation iPod nano a strong choice for use at the gym.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    This makes no sense to me. I just don't believe it to be accurate.

Adding a camera wouldn't drive me wild, but some would love it. That's not the problem though; there's just no way they'd do away with the clip. It wouldn't have to cover the lens at all if they just made the clip only 3/4 of the height of the device. Also, the finish on the camera mount just doesn't look Apple standard to me.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But removing a clip from the rear of the device would also be a detriment, as the small size and inclusion of an integrated Nike+ pedometer has made the sixth-generation iPod nano a strong choice for use at the gym.

You are not supposed to bring cameras into the gym.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    I'm bummed the camera is on the reverse side - this obviates the ability to use this as a wristwatch video chat device, a-la Dick Tracy.

• Reply 4 of 52
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    The camera should be on the front side for Facetime, stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    You could always use an iPod Shuffle with clip in the gym.

iPod Nano Watch with front facing camera for facetime calls, wireless headphones, link to your iPhone for onscreen RSS news feeds, tweets, etc. Opens a whole new world.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    This whole concept is beyond stupid. Having a "camera" that small just doest seem practical. Not unless you're a super spy
  • Reply 7 of 52
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I'm just glad I bought a discontinued 2009 model when the current, crippled model was released. It may well be the last regular iPod I ever buy if the current trend continues.

I would love to see nano sales numbers for the last several years on a graph to see if there was a big drop off with the current design. It's been 9 months now and I have yet to see a single instance of the new nano "in the wild", so to speak. And I don't think it was lack of a camera alone that would cause sales to drop.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

This whole concept is beyond stupid. Having a "camera" that small just doest seem practical. Not unless you're a super spy

Well, since Apple lost a contract to Google for the Army, maybe they are trying to go after the CIA and NSA!
  • Reply 9 of 52
    palminpalmin Posts: 1member
    My unqualified guess is that they will be using magnetism to hold the iPod instead of a clip.

The iPod itself will be magnetic and we place a small magnet on the other side of the fabric.

We will loose this small magnet all the time and it will drive us crazy.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    astrubharastrubhar Posts: 90member
    If you think about this, it would be pointless. Almost everyone has a cellphone and almost everyone has a camera on that. Music players don't need these features, especially if they are inferior quality.

That being said, this doesn't look like a camera. It shaped very oddly. It could just be a mount point for a new clip design.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm just glad I bought a discontinued 2009 model when the current, crippled model was released. It may well be the last regular iPod I ever buy if the current trend continues.

Ditto. Me too. Got a refurb. Love it.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    There is no clip because the device will be worn directly in the eye, monacle-style. It will be released in conjunction with the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie and will be known as the iPatch.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Aha. Remove the camera and several other features, make it smaller and call it a new generation. Then add the camera back in, and tout how new and amazing it is. Oh, and remove the clip that was the whole damn point of the smaller Nano! Brilliant!

But seriously, if they have extra space in there it should go to more battery, and its well past time for another capacity doubling to 16/32GB. And removing the clip in a device that small is moronic.

That camera does look fishy though. I'm hoping this is fake.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Fake. Besides, that looks like a hex bolt, not a camera.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

There is no clip because the device will be worn directly in the eye, monacle-style. It will be released in conjunction with the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie and will be known as the iPatch.

Do you have evidence of this?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    rothgarrrothgarr Posts: 58member
    I bought one of these LunaTiks for my Nano and I LOVE it:

http://lunatik.com/

What I really wish Apple would do, though, is add Bluetooth to the Nano. That way I can see on my watch (Nano) who is calling, get Facebook/Twitter updates from my phone without having to take my phone out of my pocket.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Ditto. Me too. Got a refurb. Love it.

I thought I was the only person on the planet that thought the last iPod Nano was a mistake. I like the idea of smaller, but at some point it becomes unusable, and the current iPod Nano is unusable in my book.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I thought I was the only person on the planet that thought the last iPod Nano was a mistake. I like the idea of smaller, but at some point it becomes unusable, and the current iPod Nano is unusable in my book.

Ditto
  • Reply 19 of 52
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    It doesn't need a clip because the user is supposed to swallow it. All one then has to do is think of a song and you'll hear it. North Carolina makes all this possible.

Lime, please.

----

It's where an optional clip connects.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I laughed and walked away when I briefly tried the teeny weeny 6G at the Apple store. \