Photo shows alleged 7th-gen multi-touch iPod nano with 1.3MP camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It doesn't need a clip because the user is supposed to swallow it. All one then has to do is think of a song and you'll hear it.

I see, then you jump up and down to shuffle songs.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    clauclau Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

There is no clip because the device will be worn directly in the eye, monacle-style. It will be released in conjunction with the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie and will be known as the iPatch.

LOL, good one.

Others have commented that the nano is redundant, but I tend to lean towards having a separate device for the gym or doing exercise. I have a first gen shuffle that I still use when I go to the gym, it's so light and sturdy (relatively speacking) that you don't have to worry if it accidentally hit the ground. Yes, all the phones can play music these days, but I don't think you can solely focus on your cardio training if you have to worry about scratching or breaking the phone.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palmin View Post

My unqualified guess is that they will be using magnetism to hold the iPod instead of a clip.

The iPod itself will be magnetic and we place a small magnet on the other side of the fabric.

We will loose this small magnet all the time and it will drive us crazy.

$29 iPod 'magnet' - normal magnetism won't work because this one uses a custom Reality Distortion Field. Wait until you hear Jony talk about it.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clau View Post

LOL, good one.

but I tend to lean towards having a separate device for the gym or doing exercise. I have a first gen shuffle that I still use when I go to the gym, it's so light and sturdy (relatively speacking) that you don't have to worry if it accidentally hit the ground. Yes, all the phones can play music these days, but I don't think you can solely focus on your cardio training if you have to worry about scratching or breaking the phone.

I brought a device with a screen and fm radio for the gym. Mildly bigger than an ipod shuffle, but nice and simple for the gym.

Just couldnt get it from apple, so phillips was happy with my money
  • Reply 25 of 52
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

If you think about this, it would be pointless. Almost everyone has a cellphone and almost everyone has a camera on that. Music players don't need these features, especially if they are inferior quality.

That being said, this doesn't look like a camera. It shaped very oddly. It could just be a mount point for a new clip design.

I agree with you about it not looking like a camera. I'm actually a bit surprised by Apple Insider for suggesting that it is one. I have never seen a camera hole that is not circular...this thing looks like it's meant for an Allen Wrench (Hex Key...as someone before me already observed as well). I'm of a mind that whomever first suggested it is a camera was simply having a joke. As someone else noted, we've all got cameras on our phones.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Finally, I can do my own endoscopy at home! Set it to record, eat it, sync with my big-screen iMac 6 hours later, and enjoy the wild ride!

(Removing the clip would be silly, but making it optional/removable wouldn’t be. Still, I smell a knock-off.)
  • Reply 27 of 52
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clau View Post

LOL, good one.

Others have commented that the nano is redundant, but I tend to lean towards having a separate device for the gym or doing exercise. I have a first gen shuffle that I still use when I go to the gym, it's so light and sturdy (relatively speacking) that you don't have to worry if it accidentally hit the ground. Yes, all the phones can play music these days, but I don't think you can solely focus on your cardio training if you have to worry about scratching or breaking the phone.

I agree with you, though I can't stop using my phone as an ipod at the gym. It's mostly because I constantly switch tracks and never stick to a playlist, so it's easier to operate on a larger screen while I'm jogging. The weight doesn't bother me, and changing tracks is easiest that way. Given how much most people drop their phones, however, it probably isn't advisable. I'll keep doing it until I break it, I suppose.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I would love to see nano sales numbers for the last several years on a graph to see if there was a big drop off with the current design. It's been 9 months now and I have yet to see a single instance of the new nano "in the wild", so to speak.

I'm curious too. I teach middle school (11-15) and the kids love them. They are not as popular as the iPod Touch, but those that have them seem happy. Several wear them as watches...
  • Reply 29 of 52
    mynameisjoemynameisjoe Posts: 170member
    Quote:

My unqualified guess is that they will be using magnetism to hold the iPod instead of a clip.

The iPod itself will be magnetic and we place a small magnet on the other side of the fabric.

You don't have to worry about losing the magnet. They are going to sell special shirts with the magnet built in.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

If you think about this, it would be pointless. Almost everyone has a cellphone and almost everyone has a camera on that. Music players don't need these features, especially if they are inferior quality.

That being said, this doesn't look like a camera. It shaped very oddly. It could just be a mount point for a new clip design.

I agree. Seems to me Apple with the last set of updates made a clear differentiation between iPods with just music, ie., Shuffle and Nano and iPods that play music, take photos and video, ie., iPod Touch, iP4.

Oh well, I use my iP4 as my iPod now. Although, I am getting a little tired of running with it and the head phones. Although NikeGPS is a fantastic App. to track my runs.

I like to just get up and go for a run now with shoes, shorts and sunglasses on. I can leave my iP4 at home for an hour so as not to get interrupted by phone calls!

And it's sort of a hassle at the gym, too. I'm more inclined to just go in get the workout out of the way and not fiddle with music, iPods, iPhones and headphones. Too much crap and clutter.

Best
  • Reply 31 of 52
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Fake. Besides, that looks like a hex bolt, not a camera.

That's what I thought too. This is too unfinished looking and is a prototype at best. It may be something that never sees the light of day.

I'm a bit disturbed over how negative everyone is being though. The iPod is an old product line that's fading fast. This is the very point in it's life cycle when we should expect them to put all kinds of gee-gaws and fiddly bits on them. It's also the time when the form is likely to change radically from model to model to keep up interest.

Think sneakers. They've been basically the same since the early 80's but every year they have to put some ridiculous junk on them to make them seem worth the exorbitant price and to differentiate them from all the others that are essentially the same.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Apple really seem to have completely lost the plot with respect to Nano and Shuffle design in the last couple of years.

I recently picked up a current (4th) gen. Shuffle to replace my brilliant 2nd gen Shuffle because it has the ability to sync podcasts (something the 2nd gen lacked).

Sadly this new one is also a step backwards in industrial design from the 2nd gen!! The reduced size of the device means that it is close to impossible to open the clip without pushing the click wheel... extremely annoying. And the dock that came with the 2nd gen has been replaced by an absurd little USB cable that is so short that it gets cluttered amongst the other mess of cables coming out of the side of my Macbook. Really disappointing.

The least they could have done is designed it so that it at least continued to fit into the gen 2 dock. Mostly though i would just prefer a software update for the gen 2 to include the ability to sync playlists/podcasts etc.

Meanwhile the less said about the Nano the better. I too picked up a 5th gen when the absurd 6th gen came out. My gf loves it! :-)
  • Reply 33 of 52
    bakloydbakloyd Posts: 11member
    isn't this the same case that popped up a month ago? and the same background too, why would they wait more than a month to show us the back of the case?

my guess is it's a fake, the camera hole is too big
  • Reply 34 of 52
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    This looks fake.

It looks like something about the same size as the nano, and then they took the Apple logo plastic wrap and placed it on it.

Notice that there are no buttons on top like the other.

As far as the clip. This doesn't make sense at all. Why not reduce the size of the clip by 75% and place it so it doesn't cover the would-be camera?
  • Reply 35 of 52
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:

The magnets will be Apple shaped and painted white and be for sale at the Apple store for $9.99 each.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    It doesn't look like a camera hole to me. It is hexagonal. It looks like it will take a 10mm allen wrench. It is a new way to attach a wide variety of clips to the next nano. Kids will be hanging them from their ear lobs and lips.

If someone would come out with a set of headphones that carried the Nano attached to them requiring no wires to tangle or get in your way, I might considering using one in the gym. I could care less about the Nike crap.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are not supposed to bring cameras into the gym.

LOL. I would guess that at least 90% of the people in my gym have their iPhones, iPod Touches or other smart phones on them, which means 90% are carrying a camera.
  • Reply 38 of 52
  • Reply 39 of 52
    n1954679n1954679 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm just glad I bought a discontinued 2009 model when the current, crippled model was released. It may well be the last regular iPod I ever buy if the current trend continues.

I would love to see nano sales numbers for the last several years on a graph to see if there was a big drop off with the current design. It's been 9 months now and I have yet to see a single instance of the new nano "in the wild", so to speak. And I don't think it was lack of a camera alone that would cause sales to drop.

I have to agree, I find it to small. I have only ever seen one in the wild.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Do you have evidence of this?

Yaarrrrrrr.