how to convert mkv video to mp4 without re-encoding

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2015
Hi all,

I am puzzled i cant find a way to do this conversion on the internet, even if i am willing to pay for the software. I simply need this:

I have a bunch of videos in MKV container format. They are encoded in H264. I would like to convert them *without re-encoding* to the MP4 container format, to allow them to play on iPad.

This should be a fairly simlpe task for a software right?`

However, i have not been able to find a one-step solution yet. And what more strange is that the top google results on the matter are mostly dead links from forums. Even the google cashe can't dig out some useful tips.

So anyone knows the software that does this?

(im on windows, unfortunately)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    themindthemind Posts: 19member
    Found a post that says quicktime pro can do it - not sure, never tried it myself.

From

http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-sy...anscoding.html

"Found a (non-free) solution. Quicktime Pro and Perian FTW. With QT & Perian 1.x, I can open the .mkv file in Quicktime. Then I export as MPEG-4 (H.264) using "passthrough" (i.e. it doesn't reencode). Should work beautifully. My demo file crashes the AppleTV, though. ... I think there was something wrong with the MKV-file, though, since it also gives an error message on VLC. I'll try with another to verify. "
  • Reply 2 of 8
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Finally i found a one-stop solution. A small program called MKVAVI2MP4. It is free.

The interface looks slightly complicated, but is actually easy to use. Just choose the folder of files you want to convert by clicking "source" . And then click convert. Pretty easy, and it doesn't re-encode the movie stream, so quality is 100% intact. It even imports subtitles.

This is a windows solution though:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvavi2mp4/

(be careful not to download the AVS video converter, as this is something completely different)
  • Reply 3 of 8

Wouldn't "ffmpeg" work???

• Reply 4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Hi all,

I am puzzled i cant find a way to do this conversion on the internet, even if i am willing to pay for the software. I simply need this:

I have a bunch of videos in MKV container format. They are encoded in H264. I would like to convert them *without re-encoding* to the MP4 container format, to allow them to play on iPad.

This should be a fairly simlpe task for a software right?`

However, i have not been able to find a one-step solution yet. And what more strange is that the top google results on the matter are mostly dead links from forums. Even the google cashe can't dig out some useful tips.

So anyone knows the software that does this?

(im on windows, unfortunately)

Hello, this problem is not very difficult to solve a lot of the software now can be converted, but guarantee quality conversion software rarely, I've been using this software to convert Bros MKV Converter effect is very good, very high quality,you can try, and hope to be able to help you.

Bros MKV Converter can help you convert all video formats like ASF, AVI, MOV, MP4, M4V, WMV, FLV, MPG, TS, MTS, M2TS, RM, RMVB, DAT, VOB, 3GP, 3G2 etc to MKV format. and extract music from MKV, MPG, WMV, MP4, AVI files.

• Reply 5 of 8
    sxiesxie Posts: 1member

Handbrake is what I use and it's free to convert mkv to mp4

• Reply 6 of 8

You may try to re-encode the video stream too. Maybe the streams in your MKV files were encoded with parameters unsupported by Apple TV / PS3. Or the bitrate might be to high.

If you encode with quicktime within the bitrate and resolution limits of the Apple TV the resulting file must work, as Apple TV also uses Quicktime to decode it.

• Reply 7 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wouldn't "ffmpeg" work???

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4
  • Reply 8 of 8

+1 Handbrake FTW

And be proud of your Windows machine... it loves you!