can't get my viewsonic monitor to work on my mackbook pro 13

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hope this is the right place to ask a question (first time) I have been using my view-sonic VA2626 off my 3 year old mackbook 13 as a base station and using my Mackbook Pro 13 just over a year old as my mobile computer. My son would like my older mackbook so I decided to use my mackbook pro for both stationary desktop and mobile use. I can't get the view-sonic monitor to work on my new pro however. The only things that come up on the monitor is the desktop/screensaver and displays both in system preferences. Nothing else that comes up on my laptop screen comes up on the view-sonic screen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisherman6692 View Post

I hope this is the right place to ask a question (first time) I have been using my view-sonic VA2626 off my 3 year old mackbook 13 as a base station and using my Mackbook Pro 13 just over a year old as my mobile computer. My son would like my older mackbook so I decided to use my mackbook pro for both stationary desktop and mobile use. I can't get the view-sonic monitor to work on my new pro however. The only things that come up on the monitor is the desktop/screensaver and displays both in system preferences. Nothing else that comes up on my laptop screen comes up on the view-sonic screen

The MacBook Pro is using the ViewSonic as a second screen. If you want to mirror your MacBook Pro's display, you just need to open monitors preferences and drag the #1 screen right on top of the #2 screen. This is how your white (or black) MacBook works. But then you'll be limiting the resolution of your VS to the MacBook Pro's resolution and it won't be the native resolution of the external monitor. I'm assuming your VS has a higher native resolution than your MBP.

What I suggest you do instead, is to drag only the Menu Bar in System Preferences from Screen #1 to Screen #2. That will make the ViewSonic your primary screen, where the dock and menubar reside, and where programs open their windows by default when you launch them. Your MBP's screen would become the second screen.