Just got hit with ? - addition

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Forgot to add: the item was called MacProtector.mpkg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yeah. That's a trojan. It's new. If you were foolish enough to install it, hit up Activity Monitor and kill the process. Then Google how to fix it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zanne101zanne101 Posts: 28member
    I didn't install it, I dumped it from the download folder and then emptied the trash.

What are you talking about with "Activity Monitor"? Not aware of this.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

I didn't install it, I dumped it from the download folder and then emptied the trash.

Good.

Quote:

What are you talking about with "Activity Monitor"? Not aware of this.

The Mac equivalent of the Task Manager. It's the first thing in your Utilities folder.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zanne101zanne101 Posts: 28member
    Obviously, never had to go into the Activity Monitor before.

Looks OK, nothing going on that shouldn't be. Would these trojans bury themselves in the system with their "real" name like MacProtector?

I probably should look up all this stuff in the manual .... Oh wait, there is no manual! :o} Oh, for the good ol' days when literature was provided.

Thanks for the info - I think my Mac's OK. Wish these jerks would go back to robbing banks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

I probably should look up all this stuff in the manual .... Oh wait, there is no manual! :o} Oh, for the good ol' days when literature was provided.

I'll take 0lb. software downloads with PDF manuals over the ten pound boxes that Final Cut Studio and Shake used to be, I think.

While there's no official "manual" for OS X, Apple's site certainly provides plenty of literature for the workings and features of the OS.