Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt MacBook Airs coming in June or July

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple's supply chain will begin shipments of new MacBook Air models upgraded to include Intel's Sandy Bridge processors and Thunderbolt high-speed interconnect later this month in preparation for a June or July launch.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday that sources from makers in the MacBook Air supply chain will begin shipping 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air models "in late May."

"Main supply chain makers for the new models remain about the same as for the existing MacBook Air, with Quanta Computer solely responsible for assembly, Catcher Technology supplying casings, Auras Technology a main supplier of thermal modules, Shin Zu Shing supplying hinges, and Simplo Technology and Dynapack supplying batteries," the report noted the sources as saying.

Given the expected high volume of initial shipments of Apple's thin-and-light notebook and the relatively higher prices of Apple's components, Taiwan-based makers "rest the hope on Apple orders for revenue contributions," according to the report.

DigiTimes' sources corroborate an exclusive report from AppleInsider that pegged MacBook Air shipments as going to mass production in late May. According to Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, checks with Asian suppliers and system builders revealed that, after declining sequentially after the release of new MacBook Pros, MacBook Air shipments are expected to rebound in the June quarter ahead of a refresh.

In February, CNet claimed Apple would transition the MacBook Air to Intel's Sandy Bridge processors in June.

Apple's first Macs to feature the Sandy Bridge architecture were the early 2011 MacBook Pros released in late February. The new MacBook Pros also saw the first implementation of the new high-speed Thunderbolt port. Earlier this month, the Cupertino, Calif., Mac maker unveiled new iMac all-in-one desktops with quad-core Sandy Bridge processors and Thunderbolt.

According to one analyst, supply chain sources indicate that Apple intends to refresh the rest of its Mac lineup "in upcoming months," though further details were unavailable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I've had the cash burning a hole in my savings account since February for a 13" MBA with a quad Sandy Bridge processor and Thunderbolt...
  • Reply 2 of 56
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Great! This will make my third MacBook Air. That will make for an amazing little machine - SSD, HD Video Cam, ThunderBolt, and Sandy Bridge? And don't forget Lion.

Bring it on, Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I thought Sandy Bridge was pretty much an impossibility in a MBA due to power and thermal requirements and the MBA update would have to wait for Ivy Bridge, no?
  • Reply 4 of 56
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Apple store is down now, perhaps the updated Mac books are out.

Hoping for a speed bumped mac mini but it will be the last to be beefed up.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I might actually try to sell my 15" MBP and get an Air.... ack! Tough decisions!
  • Reply 6 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I thought Sandy Bridge was pretty much an impossibility in a MBA due to power and thermal requirements and the MBA update would have to wait for Ivy Bridge, no?

That would be true for quad-core. Intel are making Sandy Bridge dual-core low power and ultra-low power CPUs suitable for the 13" and 11" MBAs, respectively.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I might actually try to sell my 15" MBP and get an Air.... ack! Tough decisions!

A 15" MacBook Air would make the decision easy -- at least for me.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Just buy both.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And let's not forget those faster SSD's!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    lenolenolenoleno Posts: 27member
    You get great syncing with iPhone and iPad. But buy an Air and how do you transfer photos, music, emails, documents? A good Sync program is needed that prioritizes more recent files so that your Air is "with it" in relation to your 1 TB drive in the iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple should make a lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

You get great syncing with iPhone and iPad. But buy an Air and how do you transfer photos, music, emails, documents? A good Sync program is needed that prioritizes more recent files so that your Air is "with it" in relation to your 1 TB drive in the iMac.

Home Sharing. Back to My Mac. iDisk. Email. Public Folder. With Back to My Mac you can access your Mac anytime from any place, and transfer any file.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    kaptainkkaptaink Posts: 18member
    When is the Sandybridge MacMini arriving, that is what I want to know.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I hope they find a way to add an SD card slot on the 11" model.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should make a lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

Don't hold your breath. If Apple expand the MacBook Air line, it would most likely be with a 15" model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Home Sharing. Back to My Mac. iDisk. Email. Public Folder. With Back to My Mac you can access your Mac anytime from any place, and transfer any file.

That's nice, but it's not an adequate substitute for automatically syncing a user's home directory on two different Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

Probably some time this summer. I think the big question is whether it will have one Thunderbolt port or two.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    That is what I really need.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JayhawkMac View Post

Will updated MBA have an 8 Gig BTO Option?

We just got 4GB as an option this year. I think it's too soon for 8GB. Probably next year.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

Something has to give regarding the Mac Mini. By using laptop components rather than the components found in the iMac, bang for the buck isn't what it should be.

Personally I think Apple should create a one-size-fits-all desktop tower basically using iMac components and replacing both the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

With a wide range of configurations made available, such a desktop would be able to serve less demanding customers right up through to power users.

The top iMac configuration is now providing performance that rivals what the Mac Pro could do not so long ago. Throw in Thunderbolt and such a box would serve the needs of the high-demand market. Meanwhile considering the entry iMac sells for $1199 here in Canada, how tough could it be to conjure up a tower that is close in price to the current Mini yet has the pieces found in the entry iMac.

Keep the server configuration of the current Mini with a Sandy Bridge update and fold the Mini and Mac Pro into one highly configurable model. It's a win for many and it makes sense to simplify desktop offerings considering many are gravitating towards laptops.

I think it's absurd to buy an all-in-one in that you have 12-year technology in terms of the monitor fused with computer pieces that would never last that long. A ridiculous waste.

Really, it makes no sense to leave matters as is only with some updating yet I can't pretend to know what Apple has in mind.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

That will make for an amazing little machine - SSD, HD Video Cam, ThunderBolt, and Sandy Bridge?

If they'd just build in wireless connectivity as well, my credit card would be out in a heartbeat. My MBP is starting to feel too heavy and my iPad is too constraining. So what I'd really like would be a small MBA with integral 3G (or better, 4G).
  • Reply 20 of 56
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Don't hold your breath. If Apple expand the MacBook Air line, it would most likely be with a 15" model.

That's nice, but it's not an adequate substitute for automatically syncing a user's home directory on two different Macs.

Or even better selective over the cloud syncing as with (the great) dropbox. Idisk cant even do that it's either all 20(40etc.) gb locally or none, idiotic, to say the least.

Instead of airdrop, which isn't something everyone was nagging about, they better start fixing the syncing and resolution independence.