Buying used cars...BMWs, for example

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not exactly in the used car market, but there is a small chance i'll be buying in the next year or so. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

#1 - How reliable of a place is eBay to buy a used car? It seems that I would have to put a lot of faith in the seller because there is no real way to check the condition at an unbiased mechanic since the car is likely to be a thousand miles away. Could I go down to the location of the car and have it checked by a mechanic in the middle of the auction?

#2 - Would $10,000 be better spent on an older BMW or a newer used car like a Camry. I've never even been in a BMW, but I hear they are very nice. I also think that BMW owners probably take very good care of their cars...with $10,000 what kind of used bmw could i get? Would this be worth it?

I guess those are the major questions. Hopefully some of y'all have some experience with this kind of thing...the only car i have ever bought was from my dad

Oh, and I really like the grey VW bug, but that's another story.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: progmac ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Everything gets overbid on eBay. Do you really want to buy a car there?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Everything gets overbid on eBay. Do you really want to buy a car there?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I looked at some of the completed auctions, and some of the prices were fairly reasonable, a couple grand under KBB. And not EVERYTHING is overbid, just most things--macintosh computers for example On the other hand, i bought 8 rayovac nimh batteries brand new for $10 shipped ($22 for the same thing at wal-mart)

But this IS a car we're talking about, not batteries, so i see your point
  • Reply 3 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>

#1 - How reliable of a place is eBay to buy a used car?

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: progmac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Personally, I would never spend more than a couple of hundred dollars on eBay stuff.

It's really a crap shoot. You may luck out, but the risk in my opinion, is not worth the reward.

And with a car especially, you really need to kick the tires, test drive, and have a mechanic look at any used car.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I don't know about where you live, but around here I use online sources like recycler.com (in California) and Autotrader.com

They seem pretty regional right now so you might have to buy an actual newspaper or something like that.

My rules are never to buy used from a dealer. They know just what to do and hide to get their non-warranty vehicle off their lot and into your hands.

If you are buying from a private party, take along someone mechanical or get them to let you drive it to a mechanic you can trust.

Finally the best strategy of all is ...bring cash.

Many people subscribe to the bird in the hand theory. They don't have firm reasons for setting their price where it is (maybe they looked it up KBB or looked at other prices) and when they see cash in your hand and start picturing it in theirs, the price can become very...mallable.

My brother and I did this when he wanted to purchase a used R.V. We went out and gave it a real good look over. We made few positive and few disparing remarks. Then it came right down to it. They wanted $4600, and we wanted to give them $3000 in cash.

We drove off with the RV not even 5 minutes later.

When I purchsed my own Cherokee. I saw many of them going for about $4500-5000. I picked mine up for $3300 cash.

Now if you are having to go to a used dealer to buy a used car because you need financing, well then you shouldn't be buying.

Just some opinions...

Nick

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: trumptman ]

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: trumptman ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I would stay away from a used BMW (as opposed to a new Camry) unless you are willing to shell out some cash. A lot of people who have Bimmers lease them for two or three years and drive the hell out of them, only caring that they don't inflict "unreasonable wear and tear" the BMW Motor Credit would make them pay for. Also, a three year old BMW is going to be getting to the point that it will need expensive repairs (timing belt, tires, etc) that the Camry won't need. Anything that will go wrong with the BMW will be twice to four times as expensive to fix than with a Japanese or American car.

Having said that, the BMW is going to be more fun to drive, and a bigger girl magnet. Just plan on the car and the girl costing a bit more and a bit more often.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    for a middle ground, why not get a 3 or 4 year old integra gs-r or civic si? those arent the fastest in the world, but they are cheap and dependable...and a hell of a lot of fun. not quite as "old-woman car" as the camry, and not as "elitest bastard for less performance/dollar" as the bimmer. and...the best part is is that it's a honda, so you know it'l last forever.

good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    anybody want a Mercedes that was two years old and ARMORED
  • Reply 8 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>for a middle ground, why not get a 3 or 4 year old integra gs-r or civic si? those arent the fastest in the world, but they are cheap and dependable...and a hell of a lot of fun. not quite as "old-woman car" as the camry, and not as "elitest bastard for less performance/dollar" as the bimmer. and...the best part is is that it's a honda, so you know it'l last forever.

good luck. </strong><hr></blockquote>

My wifes Accord was purchased new and has been a great car for us. It is a 1994 and aside from the radiator cracking and replacing the timing chain, we haven't had any problems with it.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 10
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I personally dont like the idea of buying a car of eBay, but that is just a personal preference.

Depending on the condition of the BMW it may be better to purchase a more recent car like a Camery etc. I bought a used car recently and could haave got a BMW with leather seats, 200,000+Km on it but decided to get a much newer 95 model Mazda for a better price that was in far superior condition.

Good luck with your purchases.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sondjatasondjata Posts: 308member
    I recently bought an '88 325 Cabrio. Needed a lot of work though. You don't buy old BMW's cause you want a cheap car. You buy it for the same reason you buy a new one:

You can afford to fix it and you like the ride.

I agree that you should NOT buy from a dealwe unless you have cash in hand.

i don't know how old of a BMW you're looking at: but if it's got over 100,000 be prepared for timing belts/chains, pan gaskets and the dreaded and expensive head gasket or head.

If you're looking for a chick/guy magnet, and you look decent yourself, pass on all other vehicles and get yourself an old BMW Cabrio. I get more looks than anyone in a 2002 model non convt. of any make..well except mercedies.

;-)