Apple upgrading online store in-line with Sunday's retail system changes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has taken its online order status feature offline until May 22 ahead of a retail overhaul planned for the same day that will see store employees equipped with iPads and briefed on several pieces of new retail management software.

"We are currently updating our systems. Starting Sunday, May 22nd, you can visit online Order Status to make changes to your order, track your shipment and more," reads a message from the Apple Online Store.

The timing of the online store upgrades coincides with a large-scale initiative by Apple to improve both its brick-and-mortar and online retail businesses. AppleInsider reported on Wednesday that Apple has been stocking dozens of iPads for retail employee use in stores across the U.S., according to people familiar with the company's retail operations.

Sources also indicated that Apple has prepared an iPad version of its in-house communications client known as RetailMe to be rolled out this weekend. Given that the RetailMe service offers information about products and training videos for retail staff, the proprietary software update may in fact be the password-protected data that employees will download this weekend, according to a separate report.

Reports have emerged that Apple will hold mandatory store meetings this Sunday, May 22 in both the morning and evening. Apple's secretive retail meeting aligns with the 10th anniversary of the company's retail operations, but sources have told AppleInsider that the Cupertino, Calif., company plans to reveal "procedural changes" this weekend, rather than launch any new products.

Last month, AppleInsider was first to reveal that Apple was limiting employee time off between May 20 and 22, with store managers reportedly "very excited" about those dates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    So no new products or discounts then? Just the new iPad POS systems and a revamped online apple store. A bit of a Yawny McYawn anniversary. Maybe they should have saved iMac update till this sunday.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    A check with my sources says that this retail me rolled out several days ago. All the appleconnect etc has been in use on iPads for almost a year. And the whole app based line management has been used fr a good six months.

So if anything internal is rolling out it is something none of the leaks have included.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Since Apple has not said anything is being announced, I expect nothing. If Apple does announce something it will be a plus but I am not expecting anything significant even if there is something new.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just my luck! This was the morning my wife planned to order me a new iPad 2 from the Apple Store for my upcoming birthday!

I just checked and the store, my bad, I misread, we can still order just not check status of order! I think we'll wait to try out the new system though. RetailMe sounds fun.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Since Apple has not said anything is being announced, I expect nothing. If Apple does announce something it will be a plus but I am not expecting anything significant even if there is something new.

Ah, they're just planning for the world post-Rapture.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah, they're just planning for the world post-Rapture.

...maybe just the moment of sweet release