New Apple Displays Soon??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the release of Thunderbolt I'm wondering if Apple will remove the USB plug from the Apple Cinema display, since Thunderbolt can carrier USB. This would allow for a hub on the back of the display with only one connector. Aside from that can anyone think of a reason for them to update? I'm on the fence, I sold my 24" a while ago and want to replace it in the next two months or so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Very, very doubtful. Apple took six years to update the old ones, and USB will be necessary for the rest of the decade unless Thunderbolt adoption goes very, VERY well.

The ONLY thing I can see happening before the decade is out is the addition of another Thunderbolt cable as part of the group cabling built into the display to allow daisy-chaining. I can definitely see Apple limiting it in that way.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    I wasn't suggestion removing USB but rather to run USB via the thunder bolt / mini display port, thus reducing the cables from the monitor by one.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

I wasn't suggestion removing USB but rather to run USB via the thunder bolt / mini display port, thus reducing the cables from the monitor by one.

Ah.

But what I said still applies. Any update would include a second Thunderbolt cable for daisy-chaining, so you'd still have the same number of cables in the bundle.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    From what I have read I do not believe you can chain a display. All indications seem to point to the display having to be the last in line. Would be nice to have a second port but not sure that can be done. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

From what I have read I do not believe you can chain a display.

What have you read? That seems to be complete nonsense given Thunderbolt's pitch.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What have you read? That seems to be complete nonsense given Thunderbolt's pitch.

I haven't read into it real deep yet but that was my understanding.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jackrvjackrv Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I haven't read into it real deep yet but that was my understanding.

I believe I've seen that the Displayport signal is separate from the PCIe signal. Currently they have to be last because there are no daisychain ports on any displays. The only demo of 2 displays I've seen yet are from a 2011 27" iMac with 2 Thunderbolt ports (1 monitor on each). I haven't read a solid answer for either case yet. I remember reading that one port can handle 2 displays, but who knows?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I read something from Intel that stated that the display had to be at the end of the chain and it wasn't to do with lack of daisy chain points. Something to do with the bandwidth, I'm still looking for the article.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Steve has different obsessions time from time.

LCD is one of his prior obsession. Thanks to Steve we had 16:10 displays instead of 16:9 that are starting to take over today.

In 1999 Apple introduced 22 inch LCD cinema display. This was 5 years before mainstream had 22 inch LCD. Apple was first with 1920x1200 display, and in January 2005 introduced 30inch 2560x1600.

Then Steve got tired of LCD and nothing has happened until Retina.

Retina Ipad/Iphone is done.

Lets hope Steve's obsession leads to an all retina display setup.

The only problem is how to move more then 4 million pixels on a screen. The latest display port support 3840 × 2160. Not Retina, but better.

Later version of Thunderbold should have bandwidth for higher resolution.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apple 4G Networked Gaming Console

Can anyone else confirm rumours that Steve Jobbs is inviting stakeholders to consult on the development of the Apple gaming console? Sources in Australia Indicate he us working closely with a concept development Corp known as Eleven on the release to be timed with the 2014 Brazil world cup. Apparently EA sports will develop exclusively for the console which will integrate with a networked home entertainment unit
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Starbuck01 View Post

Can anyone else confirm rumours that Steve Jobbs is inviting stakeholders to consult on the development of the Apple gaming console?

I can confirm that you're making this up as you type it.

Quote:

Sources in Australia Indicate he us working closely with a concept development Corp known as Eleven on the release to be timed with the 2014 Brazil world cup. Apparently EA sports will develop exclusively for the console which will integrate with a networked home entertainment unit

Yeah. You're thinking of the [insert other console name here]. Apple isn't.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Starbuck01 View Post

Apple 4G Networked Gaming Console

Can anyone else confirm rumours that Steve Jobbs is inviting stakeholders to consult on the development of the Apple gaming console? Sources in Australia Indicate he us working closely with a concept development Corp known as Eleven on the release to be timed with the 2014 Brazil world cup. Apparently EA sports will develop exclusively for the console which will integrate with a networked home entertainment unit

Apple's gaming console is called the "iPod touch." EA already develops games for it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I think I found it.. I don't know if you can make a monitor a thunder bolt device. It's currently a Display port device, so you are limited to 1 or 2 display ports per controller depending on how it's configured. The new macbook pros handle two one of which is the internal display from what Apple states.

"Thunderbolt Technology Possibilities

With Thunderbolt products, performance, simplicity and flexibility all come together. Users can add high-performance features to their PC over a cable, daisy chaining one after another, up to a total of 7 devices, 1 or 2 of which can be high-resolution DisplayPort v1.1a displays (depending on the controller configuration in the host PC). Because Thunderbolt technology delivers two full-bandwidth channels, the user can realize high bandwidth on not only the first device attached, but on downstream devices as well.

Users can always connect to their other non-Thunderbolt products at the end of a daisy chain by using Thunderbolt technology adapters (e.g., to connect to native PCI Express devices like eSata, Firewire). These adapters can be easily built using a Thunderbolt controller with off-the-shelf PCI Express-to-“other technology” controllers."

http://www.intel.com/technology/io/t...US_secured.pdf

So lets hope there is such a thing as Thunder Bolt monitor :-)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Monitors usually don't have two MiniDP ports, but NAS storage RAID arrays made for ThunderBolt will so we can daisy-chain as many as 7 devices and the monitor is the last item in the chain.

Back to the original topic, though. Will we see new displays from Apple, as in stand-alone Cinema Display's? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27" ACD but wasn't there something about new displays coming around the time that the new MacBook Air's will come out? The latter are being held for Lion's release, but monitors wouldn't, would they?

Also, does anyone have a Dell U2711? It drives over a billion colors vs. the 16.7 million that the Apple displays do. Are they really a lot "better" as a result?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

So lets hope there is such a thing as Thunder Bolt monitor :-)

There is such a thing as a USB 3 monitor and there will likely be a TB -> USB 3 adaptor. There is already a TB -> FW800 and Gig-E adaptor so there's no reason why they can't make a USB 3 one. But if they don't have extra ports on the adaptor, it's pointless. I wish Intel had been allowed to put TB on a USB port.