Time to send them P.Y.T's off to war!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/draf01102003.htm"; target="_blank">Retesting the Constitutionality of Male only draft</a>

The folks in this article mentioned their motivations and beliefs but I wondered what you all here thought about this.

For the non-article reading types, they are filing a lawsuit that could have two conclusions. One is that it could strike down the need to register for selective services for everyone, or two, it could require young women to register for the draft just like young men are required to do.

Many people on the forums here speak of not only insuring equity with regard to gender but also insuring it with regard to race and are even willing to use affirmative action to do so.

So my question here is as follows, assuming the U.S. is not going to toss away the ability to go to war if need be, how do you think the draft should be handled with regard to gender?

Secondly, since men have had to bare the burden of insuring freedom so long, do you think there should be any sort of affirmative action with regard to insuring women share equally in the ability to die and fight in future combat scenarios?

Finally for those that believe it should remain as it is, how do you justify this when women are given equal protections, or even privileges in some cases in this modern era?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote] He said a broader motivation is to spur debate ``about the possibility of a draft and of having suburban kids being shipped across the world to fight a war.''<hr></blockquote>

I guess shipping off the urban and rural ones is okay though. Seems like a good idea thought because they are the ones that already know how to shoot

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

I guess shipping off the urban and rural ones is okay though. Seems like a good idea thought because they are the ones that already know how to shoot

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know it is amazing how people claim the high ground out of supposed concern and then are likely more biased than most.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'm all for it. This ties in nicely with the guy that wanted to bring back the draft to stop America fighting so many wars.

If the US wants to exempt women from the draft then could they also spend some of their defense bilions on designing some 'smart' bombs that only kill males over the age of twelve when they blow up bombshelters, baby milk factories and wedding parties.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Rangel's draft would apply to women.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I want a draft that also applies to seniors and prison inmates. Seniors are dying anyway and prison inmates can kill a man with a plastic comb in 2 seconds.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    boy bands and their ilk should share the trenches with dirty xtina and all britneys

noriega gave up rather than suffer ear damage

maybe after such a war we'll get as much quiet as peace