Mac Pro graphics upgrade...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have a McPro3,1 and I'm seriously ready for a graphics card upgrade. I have the GeForce 8800 GT currently and it's been a great card but is definitely getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering picking up the ATI 5770 since there is simply no way to justify the $450 for the 5870. However, I'm wondering what upgrade options might be available with the next Mac Pro refresh. Any guesses on what the next MacPro video card options might be? I figure I've dealt with the video card this long I can wait another month or 2 to get a more current upgrade option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    We'll likely see comparable cards to those that are available with the current model. Just add the number 1,000 to each model number.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I'd say the Radeon 6000-series but the Sandy Bridge EP chips aren't due until Q4 (starts October) so you may have a bit of a wait before a refresh. I think given the Mac Pro's emphasis on core-count, it is going to make more sense for them to refresh the Mac Pro every 18 months now, give or take so that the upgrade is worth it. They've been creeping up to this in the last refreshes - 420 days, 511 days, 300 days and counting. October/November puts it in that region.